Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? I said it seems reasonable/likely...maybe you thought I said not reasonable?

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INC. INTRODUCES PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™)

PS4’s Powerful System Architecture, Social Integration and Intelligent Personalization,
Combined with PlayStation Network with Cloud Technology, Delivers Breakthrough
Gaming Experiences and Completely New Ways to Play

New York City, New York, February 20, 2013– Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today introduced PlayStation®4 (PS4™), its next generation computer entertainment system that redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization, deeply integrated social capabilities, and innovative second-screen features. Combined with PlayStation®Network with cloud technology, PS4 offers an expansive gaming ecosystem that is centered on gamers, enabling them to play when, where and how they want. PS4 will be available this holiday season.

・Gamer Focused, Developer Inspired
PS4 was designed from the ground up to ensure that the very best games and the most immersive experiences reach PlayStation gamers. PS4 accomplishes this by enabling the greatest game developers in the world to unlock their creativity and push the boundaries of play through a system that is tuned specifically to their needs.

PS4 also fluidly connects players to the larger world of experiences offered by PlayStation, across the console and mobile spaces, and PlayStation® Network (PSN).

The PS4 system architecture is distinguished by its high performance and ease of development. PS4 is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art graphics processor.

The Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) has been enhanced in a number of ways, principally to allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as physics simulation. The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.

PS4 is equipped with 8 GB of unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform. GDDR5 is used for this memory, giving the system 176 GB/second of bandwidth and providing a further boost to graphics performance.

Well they couldn't hide it. Eventually people will figure out the specs. whether Sony publicizes them or not.

Yep. We'll get it another way, but maybe not immediately.

Remember how we confirmed 768 shaders in X1 because that MS video mentioned 768 operations per clock or something...

Remember how we confirmed 768 shaders in X1 because that MS video mentioned 768 operations per clock or something...

When they said "uncompressed pixels" I knew there was gonna be a blitter in there.

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INC. INTRODUCES PLAYSTATION®5 (PS5™)
4 mere years later the release of our premium console Pro containing 36 compute units we are very proud to announce that we succeeded in equaling the number of compute units in PS5 which will ambitiously contain no less than 36 compute units. Just be happy we didn't reduce the number of CUs, because we were about to include only 28 CUs on PS5, because the Moore's law is actually regressing those days.

We plan to use 36CUs in the 9 next playstation machines to be released up to Playstation 10, included.

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT INC. INTRODUCES PLAYSTATION[emoji2400]5 (PS5[emoji769])
4 mere years later the release of our premium console Pro containing 36 compute units we are very proud to announce that we succeeded in equaling the number of compute units in PS5 which will ambitiously contain no less than 36 compute units. Just be happy we didn't reduce the number of CUs, because we were about to include only 28 CUs on PS5, because the Moore's law is actually regressing those days.

We plan to use 36CUs in the 9 next playstation machines to be released up to Playstation 10, included.
no mention of toy story graphics.... Clearly fake.

Regardless of CU count, TF or such I will buy DAY ONE ps5 if many ps4pro games runs at 60 fps instead of 30 fps... I'm a concrete person. Also the fast SSD loading looks very attractive... [emoji1]

Well they couldn't hide it. Eventually people will figure out the specs. whether Sony publicizes them or not.
Again, see Nintendo. The gaming community will pull apart these machines and spread word and criticism, but the larger buying public won't give a shit. Don't tell them what they don't need to know. If the TF number is smaller, just don't mention it - you don't advertise your shortcomings.

I guess i remember it wrong because i thought Microsoft didn't hide(because silly Don think Kinect 2 is really something)the TFs.
That said did we also immediately confirmed X1's 1.21 TF after the May reveal due to something like 768 shaders?

Again, see Nintendo. The gaming community will pull apart these machines and spread word and criticism, but the larger buying public won't give a shit. Don't tell them what they don't need to know. If the TF number is smaller, just don't mention it - you don't advertise your shortcomings.
That's it...

Well the better one will advertise it, but i guess it will be the console war part.
But will they bang on about the numbers or a more general ‘most powerful console in the world’ as MS did with the Xbox One X (they also dropped the 6TF number left right and centre as well). Now we’ve got the complication of differing efficiencies across different architectures I expect them to drop the numbers and whoever the winner is just claim ‘most powerful).

But will they bang on about the numbers or a more general ‘most powerful console in the world’ as MS did with the Xbox One X (they also dropped the 6TF number left right and centre as well). Now we’ve got the complication of differing efficiencies across different architectures I expect them to drop the numbers and whoever the winner is just claim ‘most powerful).
I think they will use everything.
Like Xbox One X MS not only use most power console, they also use 6>4.

Anecdotal but in my experience certain beliefs about power have nothing to do with data too.

My daughter is in 6th grade and among her friends, Xbox is the console to own, it's been that way since launch of XBO and PS4 too. They go by what their friends say, there is no analysis of data. For that generation the Xbox is the console to own, it's the premium brand and the 'fastest graphics' you can buy.

DF videos may show performance comparisons but they don't care, they go by what their peers say and whatever difference existed this generation, it was close enough so that for many, whatever bias they held made one or the other platform the superior experience.

So instead of embracing the gaming press and developing a relationship of product promotion, you are going to launch into an adversarial relationship and turn them all into a bunch of investigative reporters on the hunt. How is this a good plan?

Here's a better plan, if you feel the need to hide the details of the product you are launching, then don't launch it.

They cant hide it and they know will affect the hype. The first journalist reports are those that create the biggest hype. The average joe may not understand numbers but they will parrot the general idea that will spread from mouth to mouth from those that read the news (even though may have not the slightest idea about hardware). That initial hype is what builds the anticipation and makes people form lines in front of stores.
Everyone was parroting the Emotion Engine, Super Computer, CG graphics, the Cell Processor, Graphics Synthesizer, Blu Ray, real High Def visuals and all that every time the next Playstation was revealed. A weaker PS5 will be the first console to not have the "power" hype attached to it if the next XBOX is more powerful. In fact it will be the first console to be attached with "less power" in mind and it is bound to have a negative effect if Sony doesn't have something special to compensate for it.
Regardless if any of the Playstation consoles were clearly the most advanced hardware ever released on launch, the average joe correlates every new Playstation with "power".

So instead of embracing the gaming press and developing a relationship of product promotion, you are going to launch into an adversarial relationship and turn them all into a bunch of investigative reporters on the hunt. How is this a good plan?
Ask Nintendo. ;) What you're suggesting isn't at all how it happens. There's a small niche of gamers who care about specs. They'll eagerly await the DF breakdowns and the magical TF numbers and post how great/rubbish a platform is. The rest won't care. The gaming press will talk about the games and the experiences. They'll repeat the marketing materials provides which talk of all the features and experiences. There's no tragic PR fallout to be suffered here and you don't need superior/equivalent numbers to have a viable product. What's the most popular brand of headphones? Dr. Beats. Is that because they are numerical the best? No, but shoppers don't care and aren't interested. You need a product that's good enough, at the right price, that's well marketed. It doesn't have to be the best to be the most successful. It doesn't even have to be that good as long as you can catch the public's imagination!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back