Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some new estimates for HBM:
https://semiengineering.com/whats-next-for-high-bandwidth-memory/

Three years ago, HBM cost about $120/GB. Today, the unit prices for HBM2 (16GB with 4 stack DRAM dies) is roughly $120, according to TechInsights. That doesn’t even include the cost of the package.

I would expect a console to only use 2 stacks. Maybe that rumor of a setup consisting of 8GB HBM + DDR4 isn't that far fetched ...

So undersell and overdeliver? Seems an odd PR.

It's an uncommon PR strategy, yes. But I don't know if because its a bad PR strategy, or because PR-men are immediatist idiots.
Considering how watchful the gaming public is of every single claim and promise and how much shit they give companies for not following through, I'd guess underpromissing is the smarter long-term move.

So undersell and overdeliver? Seems an odd PR.
Perhaps better coded as being conservative. Just talk about the baseline performance you want to achieve and not talk about the theoretical maximum.

Phil said that X1X would play all XBO titles with about 4x the resolution. He was right. Sometimes it exceeded it, other times not. But in the general case I believe it hit that target and no on gave them hell on it except for a small audience egging on them not being 4K native for all titles.

Some new estimates for HBM:
https://semiengineering.com/whats-next-for-high-bandwidth-memory/

I would expect a console to only use 2 stacks. Maybe that rumor of a setup consisting of 8GB HBM + DDR4 isn't that far fetched ...
I’ll submit that such price estimates mean little when you are making PS5 size orders. ”We’ll buy 100 million stacks over the next three years.” Those are orders that you plan/finance your fab structure around, and commodity pricing is irrelevant. Sony would pay less, is about all we can say.

I’ll submit that such price estimates mean little when you are making PS5 size orders. ”We’ll buy 100 million stacks over the next three years.” Those are orders that you plan/finance your fab structure around, and commodity pricing is irrelevant. Sony would pay less, is about all we can say.

Still, less than $60 for two 4GB stacks of HBM2E (without packaging) that would provide over 600GB/s does sound like using the technology could be a reality for a console, as long as they complement it with e.g. 16GB of cheap DDR4 in a 128bit bus.

I completely I agree. I almost wrote something similar in my original post. I think what HBM is missing, is a mass volume product that would help drive down the costs. A console, not a premium professional product, could provide that.

I completely I agree. I almost wrote something similar in my original post. I think what HBM is missing, is a mass volume product that would help drive down the costs. A console, not a premium professional product, could provide that.
Current cost dropping much closer to gddr6 prices is very encouraging.

I agree if a console starts using HBM the guaranteed volume is there for dedicating much more fab ressources there. So it solves the chicken-and-egg problem.

One cost issue that remains to be solved is the interposer and the fact that yield of assembly is bringing down the entire soc and memory together.

If ReRam is as fast as that presentation claimed, then PS5 could go with 8/16GB HBM + 256GB of ~50GB/s ReRAM [+M.2 slot for NVME storage].

Oddly enough, I do remember a tech insider back in 2013-2014 (slightly after the PS4 launch) publishing a supposed Sony internal memo outlining memory (ReRam) and future storage solutions across different sectors (business and consumer). And it did mention the PlayStation brand being a mass adopter of such solutions.

If ReRam is as fast as that presentation claimed, then PS5 could go with 8/16GB HBM + 256GB of ~50GB/s ReRAM [+M.2 slot for NVME storage].

Do we know how much ReRam costs on a per-GB basis?
Using 16GB of HBM2E through 4 stacks would probably be too expensive for a console, but with the resulting >1.2TB/s of bandwidth they could even go without L3 for the CPU cores and just put all GPU and CPU cores as clients for HBM. Absence of L3 cache for the Zen2 cores could explain the rumoured substantially smaller die size of PS5 vs. SeX.

Using a mix of HBM, ReRam and NVMe would make the PS5 the console with the most extravagant memory system we've ever seen IMO.

Man, I hope the PS5 uses HBM!

I'd rather have 16gb gddr6 then 8gb hbm. Feels like some want HBM just for the sake of it :)

Using a mix of HBM, ReRam and NVMe would make the PS5 the console with the most extravagant memory system we've ever seen IMO.

Atleast for a console system yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back