Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the VMU on the Dreamcast controller. Make that screen removable & mount it on my wristband & I'd buy it.

Tommy McClain

Assuming somehow they managed to perfect second screen design;
you've got issues with VR titles, and it's just another device that can break and be replaced and is expensive.

I would prefer a touchpad, but with an option to get an additional small screen (PIP) on the normal screen controlled by moving finger on the pad to get additional info in games, read messages from friends etc. Of course always a risk for devs not using it, but Sony should at least provide thorough documentation with possibilities and benefits.

I would prefer a touchpad, but with an option to get an additional small screen (PIP) on the normal screen controlled by moving finger on the pad to get additional info in games, read messages from friends etc. Of course always a risk for devs not using it, but Sony should at least provide thorough documentation with possibilities and benefits.

I'm using an iPad on a telescope stand on eye sight next to my TV seat for game support apps like Destiny Item Manager I can just control with one hand, research game related content or just as a parallel entertainment stream.

IMHO the best gaming related investment I've ever made and I couldn't imagine to play without it anymore.

So from my perspective a 2nd display makes complete sense but putting them on a controller would be like the dark ages:)

How much do you think it costs?
More than not including it. ;) Not only the screen and assembly but also battery drain - do you just provide even less battery-life for your users or do you compensate with bigger, more expensive batteries?

I won't say it isn't going to happen, but for the games you've suggested I don't think it makes sense. For things like maps and ammo and stuff, I think there's a reasonable case. People will already look away from the TV to use guides/YT vids on their mobiles. As ancillary info, like friends and trophies and system notifications, it wouldn't take away from the game. Although it turning on to inform you someone's playing something would be distracting.

Overall though, I don't think it's a good addition for most users and it'll see about as much support and interest as motion controls. The idea feels forced, like, "we have to do something new with our controller to make it better." And we've heard the new controller has better haptics, so that seems covered with what sounds like a better DualShock upgrade.

Not only the bandwidth drain @Shifty Geezer , there is also the increased bandwidth requirement and most probably the increased input lag between console and controller. A touch pad can be "low res" with only on/off information like currently on DS4. A HD color screen would require much more bandwidth and using Bluetooth (like they'll most probably do) I am not even sure it's possible, well it could be possible, but with more input lag than now and currently the DS4 has the lowest input lag of all known wireless controllers.

That's quite a good point. What's generating that screen? I doubt it'd interfere with controller latency as the control data is pretty minimal so could be prioritised with graphics, which only needs send updates if fairly static. Generally though you'd think about a display driver on the device rather than streaming video, adding considerably to the cost.

It wouldn't be HD though as it's tiny. 480p would be plenty high enough quality, maybe even far less. 640x320 would be the size of the DS4's touchpad and that's at 300 dpi. ~ 480x240 seems very reasonable.

Could be Ps5 can be used without TV and only with VR... In that case a small screen for starting and such may be usefull....

Or put the mini display on the actual console unit, like most AVRs have.

PSVR can be operated 100% without ever turning on the TV, even the initial setup.

AVR need local controls on the front. They are also very large vfd displays because they need to display all letters of "dolby(tm) digital cinema mode 2 extra bass extension system 24bit 192khz discreet channels by pioneer(tm)" otherwise it would confuse consumers.

Could be Ps5 can be used without TV and only with VR... In that case a small screen for starting and such may be usefull....

You can already do that. I've had friends over and had one use my headset, whilst someone else was flicking through YouTube.

But you do bring forth another use for a little screen: flicking between paired devices. E.g. pressing the PlayStation button once will turn on the console as it does now, holding it down for 5 seconds will bring up a list of paired devices.

As we move further into the era of streaming, being able to leap between console, PC, and smartphone with a single controller makes the ~$5 additional BOM rather worth it.

That's quite a good point. What's generating that screen? I doubt it'd interfere with controller latency as the control data is pretty minimal so could be prioritised with graphics, which only needs send updates if fairly static. Generally though you'd think about a display driver on the device rather than streaming video, adding considerably to the cost.

It wouldn't be HD though as it's tiny. 480p would be plenty high enough quality, maybe even far less. 640x320 would be the size of the DS4's touchpad and that's at 300 dpi. ~ 480x240 seems very reasonable.

Right, we're not necessarily asking the controller to do all that much. It needs to store a handful of .png's and swap them out when it receives a signal to do so. There needn't be any latency concerns when that's less demanding of bandwidth than audio.

The most local processing it would need would probably come in the form of slowly moving through a spectrum of colours (e.g. my earlier example of your health being reflected by the controller screen fading from green to orange to red.)

I'm using an iPad on a telescope stand on eye sight next to my TV seat for game support apps like Destiny Item Manager I can just control with one hand, research game related content or just as a parallel entertainment stream.

IMHO the best gaming related investment I've ever made and I couldn't imagine to play without it anymore.

So from my perspective a 2nd display makes complete sense but putting them on a controller would be like the dark ages:)

True dat, but it depends on how it's implemented. It's quite user friendly if you can choose between the default of feeding your controller's screen, or the second screen app on your phone/tablet.

Standardise it, integrate it into the hardware and API's, and we'll see greater uptake from developers. I've yet to see anything of merit done with the PlayStation second screen app, and I suspect that's because it takes effort/resources.

The concept of the second screen requires a SquareSpace kind of interface IMO. One in which developers can look at, say, 3 different sized screens - controller, phone, and tablet - drop some icons onto each, tie them to a button/macro, and/or set them to change state when instructed. Minimal developer resources are spent, whilst maximal options are given to users.

Nope. It's so not worth the cost of $500 to $600 Million over the lifetime of the PS5 console.
I think controllers just sell at a profit regardless, unlike console internals. Then again, I suppose for list price, total package costs count. A $500 console SKU with a $75 controller is going to be less console than a $500 with a $50 controller, or, more likely, the console is targeted at $500 and the controller is additional costs. So you might be right.

I think the important thing is, if gamers aren't going to be sold on the idea, it's dead weight. It's only worth including if it's perceived as a positive differentiator. Thinking about it a bit more, as an OS interface, it might not be bad. Instead of pressing the Home button and navigating an awful UI, primary functions like chat, Spotify playlist, whatever, could be mapped to the controller. Don't use it for game features at all but instead implement the touch-screen interface everyone's familiar with as a primary interface for the system. Something XMB-ish would be okay for that - scroll left/right for categories and up/down for items in each, press the button. Very intuitive.

As a different model add-on controller, let the market place decide if it's worth it or not. As a pack-in, nope.

I'm only bringing forth the business cases as to why it doesn't make economical sense. I have yet to see anyone list business cases as to why it would be worth $500 to $600 million to have it as a pack-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back