No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

And the game did hint that u might get to know who u r if u follow the atlas so i am followomg that path. I am sure if Atlas is as powerful as it seems to be it might just give me a free ride to the centre when i meet it :mrgreen:

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

I wonder if I missed major story elements just because I refused the Atlas path. Or if the free roaming path isn't meant to follow any lore? The Gek info I'm getting from monoliths makes no sense.

(spoiler warning I guess, this is my interpretation from monoliths cryptic texts and encounters of my first few Gek systems. Still 172,000 to the center, I barely advanced physically)
Monoliths describe Geks as evil conquerors killing everyone else to take over the universe. Nasty stuff. But...

All Gek I met have a friendly demeanor and a joyful attitude. The animation is adding to it, some dangling their feet in a child-like manner. The "Gek Lucky Charm" found everywhere are described as symbols of "peace and fair trade" by traders. Even the "Gek Nip" gives an inoffensive vibe to the race.

Their social structure, their titles, and your faction standing are based on individualistic trade relationship. Trustworthiness is an assessment of peaceful trade intent, as opposed to the Vykeen which is political/military goal alignment (enemy? co-conspirator? interloper?), and the Kovak which is more religious or scientific (priests? traveler of Atlas? Whatever of the creator? Engineer?).

The Gek monoliths are counter-thematic!

I noticed that too. Its definitely very intriguing. They definitely see themselves as the oldesr race of theuniverse. Maybe the charmng demeanour is a distraction while they are economically taking over the universe in this new age !!! New times , new aims! No more emperors..but moghuls !

The Monoliths seem to make a very clear distinction between the First Spawn and the new Gek. In fact, it seems the First Spawn tried to remove any Gek that weren't interested in fighting and conquering. There are quotes about bringing fire to those Gek, and fire to those Gek's spawn pools. The lore seems stay just as malevolent from there but I haven't completed their story yet. But at this point its clear that the current Gek are quite different from the First Spawn.

EDIT

Almost forgot. I passed by another ship in hyperspace the other day. Presumably AI but it caught me by surprise all the same.

Anybody with a ship that has than 32 slots is a bloody space peasant.
Out of my way, space peasant. :runaway:
32 slot ship is a peasant?? :oops: I saw a 36 slot ship once that was 12.5mil.... that's going to take a lot of Void Cube farming.

32 slot ship is a peasant?? :oops: I saw a 36 slot ship once that was 12.5mil.... that's going to take a lot of Void Cube farming.

I made a couple of mil, bought a 24 slot ship then used beams to find transmissions which often lead to a crashed ship which will always seems to be one slot larger than your current vessel. Crashed ships also seem to be conveniently located need oodles of natural resources for repairing the ship. Enough to et airborne anyway!

The jump from 15/16 slots to 24 gives you a lot of breathing room. What I do notice is that larger ships tend to have more equipment (often damaged) by default. Lots of weapon and shield boosters. I tend to scrap stuff and run light so I have more cargo space.

But I'm still in fairly safe space. Time to jump soon. A few more monoliths and bases to loot.

An EG article has a guy who maxxed his equipment on the starting world. So basically the ships you find are 'current spec +1' no matter where they are, negating the need for any journeying. I call that a procedural gameplay fail - really should have been based on distance travelled or somesuch, encouraging progress into more difficult (and rewarding) areas.

It's the equivalent of rpgs in which everyone and everything auto levels with you. In all fairness, spending god-knows-how many hours on the starting planet isn't really the way any normal person would play NMS (in my 30+ hours with the game I have yet to find a single crash-landed ship), whereas in an RPG everyone will run into the auto level problem eventually.

It's the equivalent of rpgs in which everyone and everything auto levels with you. In all fairness, spending god-knows-how many hours on the starting planet isn't really the way any normal person would play NMS (in my 30+ hours with the game I have yet to find a single crash-landed ship), whereas in an RPG everyone will run into the auto level problem eventually.
Same here man i haven't found a single crashed ship either ! Thats what i like about the game, my friend an dme have totally differnet stories to share when we chat up.
I bought my upgrades with cash earned while literally playing hide n seek with the sentinels. In fact thats where i ahve most fun in this game: stealing treasures right under the nose of the sentinels :) . I use all my tunneling prowess to dig right to where the treasure is and then to vanish in my swlf made caves after stealing as many as my inventory would hold. Its my own personal mini game inside the game. Sometimes i get so lost in it that i forget about any overarching goals i am pursuing.

I once found a planet which was full of underwater treasures and floating landmasses ! I didn't leave untill it funded my next ship :D

An EG article has a guy who maxxed his equipment on the starting world. So basically the ships you find are 'current spec +1' no matter where they are, negating the need for any journeying. I call that a procedural gameplay fail - really should have been based on distance travelled or somesuch, encouraging progress into more difficult (and rewarding) areas.

The abandoned ships you find are +1 for capacity (and +/- X for features). The NPC ships you run across, however, can be quite different and seem to change based on the system you're in.

That is, however, extremely frustrating for the cheapskate in me. Committing to a new abandoned ship can be a serious endeavor early on depending on how you upgraded your old one. Might even be better off not bothering with many upgrades and then hopping from abandoned ship to abandoned ship until you get something you want.

EDIT

Also not quite sure what you mean by that "negating the need for any journeying".

Last edited:
It's the equivalent of rpgs in which everyone and everything auto levels with you.
Don't those RPG's come in for the same criticism? I remember the laughable enemy levels in Oblivion, while Morrowind offered a proper sense of progression because you could encounter overpowered enemies early on which you later completely overpowered after you'd level, and you knew you had levelled because of that. I think that (Morrowind) sense of progression is the one games should strive for.

Course they do. And rightly so. I wasn't trying to defend that stupid mechanic. I just stated that you'd probably not even notice if you just played NMS "normally". I didn't know about the +1 ships despite my lenghty playtime for example. Quite unlike in Oblivion, where everyone's gonna feel the wrath of the Amazing Super-Wolves that must have descended from the heavens while they were sleeping.

I saw a 42 slots ship for 66 millions.

Mine is 30 slots and it cost me 6M which I finally got after I found a harvesting paradise planet, making 300k per run. I thought it was normal, it never happened again, crap I should have stayed there longer!

Anyway I decided to force myself to warp every time I start the game. It keeps things interesting.

I saw a 42 slots ship for 66 millions.

Mine is 30 slots and it cost me 6M which I finally got after I found a harvesting paradise planet, making 300k per run. I thought it was normal, it never happened again, crap I should have stayed there longer!

Anyway I decided to force myself to warp every time I start the game. It keeps things interesting.
The treasues will change but you shall find these treasure planets again. I have found 4 till now. Now i don't worry and warp when i feel like. Living life on the edge eh !

An EG article has a guy who maxxed his equipment on the starting world. So basically the ships you find are 'current spec +1' no matter where they are, negating the need for any journeying.

The ships you are directed to from a transmission will be +1 slot but if you stumble upon one on a planet it may be the same size or smaller. I found three today on one planet - one from a distress beacon and two I just stumbled upon. One of those two was the same size and the other was 1 slot smaller.

I also pushed my exosuit slots to 30 and I'm fairly sure the game is arbitrarily generating drop pods when you search for a shelter. I had five really close to a locator beam and two of those were in a space I'd already been in and hadn't seen drop pods, which are large and hard to miss. Smoke and mirrors! :yep2:

The crashed ships are a good place to salvage tech, it's where I got my warp drive upgrades. The places where you have to blast the door are also giving me important blueprints so far.

Oh, and if you get the Theta warp drive, don't destroy the Tau warp drive! When a system destination requires Theta, the actual power required seems to be Tau+Theta.

It took me a while to figure out every upgrade is stacking, if you have similar power ups that give +1, +2, and +3, you get +6 with all three. And obviously you can't build the +3 twice. That's a bit why inventory space is so valuable.

The crashed ships are a good place to salvage tech, it's where I got my warp drive upgrades. The places where you have to blast the door are also giving me important blueprints so far.

Oh, and if you get the Theta warp drive, don't destroy the Tau warp drive! When a system destination requires Theta, the actual power required seems to be Tau+Theta.

It took me a while to figure out every upgrade is stacking, if you have similar power ups that give +1, +2, and +3, you get +6 with all three. And obviously you can't build the +3 twice. That's a bit why inventory space is so valuable.
Wha!!!! I have been destroying the previous upgrade the moment i got the next :O ! I am supposed to keep all? +1,+2,+3,+4,+5???

Well, keep 'em if you need 'em. I have a +3 rapidfire upgrade, a +4 damage upgrade, and a +5 burst fire upgrade installed in my multi-tool, and it shreds sentinels and wildlife in seconds. Next up is the +5 homing fire upgrade, but it's really more for showing off than out of necessity. Probably a good idea to keep the various warp reactors for longer distance jumps, but otherwise you really don't have to keep much of anything. Right now I have both a pretty powerful beam and a pretty powerful photon cannon installed in my ship, but you really only need one or the other.

Back