Post-PS4 announcement and 8GB "surprise": Is Microsoft in time to change something?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm...those reservations about Sony going with 8 GBs GDDR5 were well founded in reason and known quantities.

And then the 8GB did happen, didn't they?
IMHO, I think this should be taken as a lesson to some.

It's nonsense because first, it's implying that the same sources that leaked ps4 specs which, but the amount of memory, were accurate

Nope, you're wrong.
The leaked PS4 specs that claimed 8 Jaguars @ 1.6GHz, 18CUs GCN @ 800MHz and 176GB/s GDDR5 were the same that said the console would have 4GB.

Nope, you're wrong.
The leaked PS4 specs that claimed 8 Jaguars @ 1.6GHz, 18CUs GCN @ 800MHz and 176GB/s GDDR5 were the same that said the console would have 4GB.

He is completely correct, he's is saying that the sources that predicated everything are so far 100% correct, sans the doubling of the RAM which was a real outlier.

Nope, you're wrong.

Yes but even then there was leaked information that Sony was looking to find a way to make it 8GB. As the decision to go 8GB was even a surprise to some developers with devkits, there is a lesson in this for sure, but it's a nuanced lesson.

No one knew what RSX was back then , not even after ps3 was released ... it took some time to see that it wasn't all that . So they couldn't ask for a G80.
Now it's different , these gpus and their capabilities are well known .

I don't remember exactly if they were claming that, or that RSX was already in fact a G80. But i remember that back then didn't make to much sense according to the info already released.

Anyway it was 7 years ago i could be wrong.

As much as I hate social networking and all the narcissistic BS involved, at least what was announced was all gaming focused on the PS4, which is refreshing to hear. I'm shuttering at the thought of how much MS will push media, general social networking, Kinect, and family friendly crap for their new system, when the real reason to have the console is for games.

I think it'll be better to sit this generation out.

Some people over at Gaf are speculating that MS is intentionally putting out fake tech specs to throw Sony off into thinking the PS4 will have a big advantage from a graphical standpoint.Maybe it's true or could be all BS.No one really knows until MS reveals Durango at their own event, which I think is scheduled in April.

Even if new xbox is 2x power of ps4, we already all agreed that graphics performance of consoles does not matter next gen and that no one will see the difference anyway.

Some people over at Gaf are speculating that MS is intentionally putting out fake tech specs to throw Sony off into thinking the PS4 will have a big advantage from a graphical standpoint.Maybe it's true or could be all BS.No one really knows until MS reveals Durango at their own event, which I think is scheduled in April.

Well they may have succeeded in encouraging Sony to go with 8GB GDDR5 in that case, sureley if they are playing that game they wouldnt have wanted that outcome and would have leaked a significantly reduced RAM number. Unless they are really going for 16GB or something lol

As much as I hate social networking and all the narcissistic BS involved, at least what was announced was all gaming focused on the PS4, which is refreshing to hear. I'm shuttering at the thought of how much MS will push media, general social networking, Kinect, and family friendly crap for their new system, when the real reason to have the console is for games.

I'm sure MS will do just that and the press...will lap it all up....sickening thoughts...

I appreciate Sony appears genuine to win back developers and gamers....but they need some work broadcasting that message across to the many cynical fanbois..and patriotic americans....I have good feelings about the PS4...my feelings have been generally right about Wii/3DS/Vita/WiiU/PS3/Move....i really want PS4 to succeed...Sony seems like the last one holding onto real high quality "old skool" gaming....

Isn't this just the next level of fanboy wetdreams.

Anything that starts some people at gaf... Should be ignored in my opinion.

I think that a clock 35-50%+ on gpu (1.2 to 1.8 GFlops) and 64 MB of low latency eSram can close the gap
plus the efficiency of the system, even with the old specs durango will be on pair or even faster

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure MS will do just that and the press...will lap it all up....sickening thoughts...

I appreciate Sony appears genuine to win back developers and gamers....but they need some work broadcasting that message across to the many cynical fanbois..and patriotic americans....I have good feelings about the PS4...my feelings have been generally right about Wii/3DS/Vita/WiiU/PS3/Move....i really want PS4 to succeed...Sony seems like the last one holding onto real high quality "old skool" gaming....

I suppose you'd want MS to succeed too if by a chance they announce a "real high quality old skool gaming" machine ....

Turning around the question - if Microsoft had enough time to change anything, would Sony have confirmed 8GB this week, or have waited?

Hey now, let's not intentionally ignore the PS3's famous slogan "It Only Does Everything" which obviously implie's its a games/media machine that was pretty darn capable.Also, PS3 had its share of casual fluff with Home, Wonderbook etc and that will not change with their next system.Another interesting aspect is the PS4 is rumored to have dual camera's built-in for a Kinect like device.Does that mean Sony is going all casual?Of course it doesn't and I believe it is nonsense to assume Durango will go casual only or primarily focus on that specific demographic..

Ummm...those reservations about Sony going with 8 GBs GDDR5 were well founded in reason and known quantities. It's still unknown how Sony are implementing it, whether they've managed to side-step concerns somehow or are just brute-forcing it with considerable costs. That's a world away from the notion that MS is staging the Durango leaks to mislead everyone, going so far to create a fictional SuperDAE character and have them fictionally arrested in Australia. Because that's what'll have to have happened if the idea that MS are bluffing is true.

Shifty, I didn't come up with this specific theory as I read about it on Neogaf earlier this morning and just gave it some thought.I don't think it's a far-fetched idea that MS could be misleading people with false Durango specs.Now, I'm not saying this is the case but I cannot completely rule it out either..

Turning around the question - if Microsoft had enough time to change anything, would Sony have confirmed 8GB this week, or have waited?

Are you saying Sony wanted to announce ASAP and waited until they were sure MS was locked in on hardware until they said anything?

I don't think Sony would know what MS can or cant change at any point, until they are aware that Durangoes are already rolling off assembly lines in China somewhere.

Shifty, I didn't come up with this specific theory as I read about it on Neogaf earlier this morning and just gave it some thought.I don't think it's a far-fetched idea that MS could be misleading people with false Durango specs.Now, I'm not saying this is the case but I cannot completely rule it out either..

I think it's pretty rediculous to think that Microsoft staged fake Durango specs. That's my opinion though, what do you base your opinion on if I may ask? Can you link me the NeoGAF post? Is the poster of any significance in the industry?

Even then, I think that people might be looking for an explanation to why MS's console is "underpowered" compared to PS4 and therefor accept the theory of MS purposely misleading. It's just... hard to beleive and it sounds like damage control.

There is not "restart checkpoint" in this kid of things.
No way MS can change Durango specs without delays or without trashing months of R&D, contracts, and change their schedule for the next gen.
No way multi-platform/exclusive titles are being made as we speak if there are no definitive specs.
Xbox dev kit surely exist already that's why we have those leaked specs.

MS fooling everyone but MS fanboys is a ridiculous theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty, I didn't come up with this specific theory as I read about it on Neogaf earlier this morning and just gave it some thought.I don't think it's a far-fetched idea that MS could be misleading people with false Durango specs.
really?! The specs came from SuperDAE. SuperDAE has been indicted - we've seen the news stories and the court order. You don't think the idea that this is the biggest ruse ever played, and none of it, from the leaks to the console auction and the international legal incident, is true, doesn't sound far fetched?

There are ways MS can release a more powerful console than what we've been reading, but they are very low probability - lower than Sony switching from 4GB GDDR5 to 8 GBs. There's no way outside of tin-foil conspiracy theories that what we have regards Durango is make-believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back