News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stream films, tv series, anime, kid films and cartoons all through the PS3 to the big TV. Also to every iPad, Tablet, and phone in the house. But the DLNA feature of the PS3 is incredibly useful, they even have a form of DRM in place through the use of Cinavia to detect pirated media.

My guess is that recreating all this is pretty time consuming; not only with the coding but with the license management etc. It's the kind of thing that just isn't a priority at launch or in the following months whilst the kinks are removed.

no mp3 support, what a joke
Seriously? Why is this so important?

Don't you have any other (better) means to simply play back a damn MP3...? Simply a cellphone with headset earplugs ought to be both way more convenient and offer higher sound quality.

I use DLNA to stream PlayOn.TV(mainly free Hulu, not Hulu+) content to my 360. Sucks that PS4 isn't supporting it. I have a bad feeling XB1 won't either if Sony isn't providing it on PS4. :( Guess we'll find out soon.

Tommy McClain

Seriously? Why is this so important?

Don't you have any other (better) means to simply play back a damn MP3...? Simply a cellphone with headset earplugs ought to be both way more convenient and offer higher sound quality.

Because then you don't have it mixed with game sound. Or you don't have your music playing through your home theater.

If they have a media API for custom game music, they better make something that is unified and works the same way for any source. Unifying DLNA, local storage, and subscription based music transparently into a single API would be awesome, and I wouldn't mind waiting a few months for it. Right now I can't complain, but when DriveClub is released, we better have answers. (I still expect Shu to answer within a few days, because he always does)

On a completely unrelated subject... I just dismantled my DS4 and I was surprised to find an ARM processor in it. The EXT port has 8 pins. The plot thickens. ;)

Anyone having questions about the intensity and spread angle of the DS4 light, I'm happy to say it won't be a problem even with a projector. It's not bright at all (much much less than Move), and it spreads downwards. With a normal grip it doesn't pollute the screen, just a slight glow on your clothes and the floor which allows to see the color for effects. It's really a non-issue, I was panicking for no reason. If there's an intensity settings in the menu I'll leave it default.

If they have a media API for custom game music, they better make something that is unified and works the same way for any source. Unifying DLNA, local storage, and subscription based music transparently into a single API would be awesome, and I wouldn't mind waiting a few months for it. Right now I can't complain, but when DriveClub is released, we better have answers. (I still expect Shu to answer within a few days, because he always does)

On a completely unrelated subject... I just dismantled my DS4 and I was surprised to find an ARM processor in it. The EXT port has 8 pins. The plot thickens. ;)

Audio maybe?

I wonder if we can:

1 - Pause game
2 - Open browser
3 - Go to Google Play Music or Spotify or whatever
4 - Play music
5 - Switch to game and music is still going.

I wonder if we can:
1 - Pause game
2 - Open browser
3 - Go to Google Play Music or Spotify or whatever
4 - Play music
5 - Switch to game and music is still going.

Without Flash support in the browser or native MP3 support via the OS I think the answer to that is a definite no.

Cheers

Very, very disappointed at the lack of DLNA. I completely understand Sony needing to make a real profit on PS4, and I'd be happy to pay Sony for a DLNA client app off of the PSN store, if that what it takes.

I suspect, though, that Sony is rather highly motivated not to lift a finger to enable use of media that they don't get a cut from when played on PS4. ;-(

It's too late to play that Music Unlimited game. :)

I agree they should get third parties to port a paid DLNA client to PS4. That way, someone can continue to maintain it.

I have songs in my collection that are not in iTunes, Music Unlimited, and any other streaming music services.

Very, very disappointed at the lack of DLNA. I completely understand Sony needing to make a real profit on PS4, and I'd be happy to pay Sony for a DLNA client app off of the PSN store, if that what it takes.

I suspect, though, that Sony is rather highly motivated not to lift a finger to enable use of media that they don't get a cut from when played on PS4. ;-(
Oddly enough, they are the creators of the DLNA, and I am using it every day between my laptop and my TV. There might be some reason as to why they aren't keen to implement it.

I dunno if the WiiU and Xbox One support DLNA, but my Xbox 360 certainly does, so I expect the same for the Xbox One. In regards to the PS4, I think it is just a matter of time before they implement it, I guess.

Edit: well, as patsu said... maybe in the future.

MSStusq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They have already said the Xbox One won't have Media Center functionality, and the fact that Major Nelson had to give a "I'll look into that and get back to you" response doesn't bode well. Even if he didn't know about DLNA off the top of his head you'd think he's know if it could play MP3s and would be swift to get some positive news out there on a day when PS4 is taking a beating.

As for Sony, I don't know what the problem is with MP3 playback. I never ever used that function on PS3 or 360 so maybe they have metrics that say it was rarely used. But with DLNA it feels like the company is probably just moving on. The standard was always a clusterfuck of mismatched support for containers and streams, so much so that it has no real way to right itself. And Sony probably thinks that in 2013 the existence of Netflix, Ultraviolet and other streaming services basically obviate the utility of DLNA. For anyone who is truly invested in a DLNA infrastructure, they have probably have, or seriously should, invest in a more capable streaming client like the Popcorn Hour.

Don't really see why PS4 needs to support any of this. Never used DLNA or MP3 playback on my 360 or PS3 ever.

While PS4 is more power efficient than previous consoles, it's still a huge power guzzler compared to dedicated media players like say, apple TV or whatever else exists out there in the same vein. I think something like that would be more appropriate, really.

For anyone who is truly invested in a DLNA infrastructure, they have probably have, or seriously should, invest in a more capable streaming client like the Popcorn Hour.

The problem here is that streaming services don't cover the world completely. All this stuff is not available in my country for example. And I don't even mention it being localized (movies with local dub/voiceover).

Don't really see why PS4 needs to support any of this. Never used DLNA or MP3 playback on my 360 or PS3 ever.

I don't use something so I don't see why others need it ... always a great line of argument.

Anyway, I came across this in the massive PS4 pre-release FAQ:

What are the benefits of the PS4 system’s new Blu-ray Disc technology?
The PS4 system’s Blu-ray Disc reader operates at a higher speed than the model featured in the PS3 system, and includes a range of Blu-ray Disc sizes.

I'm getting the impression that this means it will (eventually) support 100GB and perhaps even 200GB discs. Could that be true? Why else would they mention it as an advantage?

I'm getting the impression that this means it will (eventually) support 100GB and perhaps even 200GB discs. Could that be true? Why else would they mention it as an advantage?

AFAIR these consoles are both supposed to support 4K video - which I guess requires that.

I don't use something so I don't see why others need it ... always a great line of argument.
That wasn't my intent, I just mentioned it for reference. I merely stated that PS4 - or any even half-modern console really - is overkill just as a media player, and thus suboptimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back