Crysis 2 PC edition OT

Well got stuck in my first glitch of the game. I really hate it when you get nabbed by a bug and your checkpoint is a fair bit back...you have no idea if you'll escape the glitch the second, third or fourth time :(

After you scan the biomass in the alien pod you're to escape through a window and get a cutscene, but I went into cutscene mode (no weapons) before I got through the window and then couldn't go through the window no matter how I tried. Known glitch.

I had that issue. The one that surprised me the most was when I was body slammed by an alien into a water logged area and I was literally swimming beneath the level itself unable to break the surface.

Also, I frickin' HATE the CoDMW2-style endless respawns! If a post has 30 soldiers on duty I don't want to kill 90 simply because I'm exploring the whole map! In this sense the Halo games crush Crysis2 - fast, endless respawns a la CoD are meant to force you on a fast pace forward which Halo manages to do without the crazy respawn technique. This was one of the best parts of the original Crysis as it gave you time for slow exploration.

This is easily the most 'what the hell were they thinking' situation I've come across yet. I just kept thinking "man there's a ton of guys on this small little level somewhere". Only after I went through two machine gun placements worth of ammo (and many deaths before that, thinking I should kill everyone before I preceded) did I finally realize what was happening.

Also, the console commands not working in game is really annoying...

Most of them aren't rightly "console commands" as long as Crytek keeps the console functionally restricted, but you can plug them into an autoexec.cfg to see what they do.

I know this is probably silly to ask, but can anybody give me their best guess as to why Crytek did all this?

Restricting console commands? DX9 only? No Sandbox 3? Only 3 graphical presets?

Was it really due to the consoles? Did they think that they wouldn't get caught?

Part of the reason may lie in the fact that this is the year of several major game releases. Crytek simply rushed the production (once again) and left the unfinished details as a later additions/patches, and thus cashing on the hype earlier, before any "distractions" would come over.

I know this is probably silly to ask, but can anybody give me their best guess as to why Crytek did all this?

Restricting console commands? DX9 only? No Sandbox 3? Only 3 graphical presets?

Was it really due to the consoles? Did they think that they wouldn't get caught?

Restricting Console Commands: Because 99% of the end users don't need them.
Only DX9: Because the primiary platform was the Xbox360.
No Sandbox 3: Because Cryteck already announced during GDC that a Free SDK is going to be released this summer.
Only 3 graphical settings: Because 99% of the end users don't need more than that.

Am at part where you start to meet the aliens more exclusively or exclusively. barely played that part but the cutscene part before was damn well done and story + gameplay seems to take a swing for the much better. Graphics is also amazing and easily the best I've seen and though despite there are textures that are lowres they actualyl look quiet good at medium distance. It still needs a texture mod. Atleast one that applies tiled detail mapping ontop of surfaces.

Btw I posted earlier my custom config but it seems several commands cant be applied via custom config file due to non registered commands for console prompt. For some reason Crytek has greatly limited cvars that can be changed.

However I unpacked the "Engine.pak" archive and added the cvars directly to "extreme" preset thus it should apply. I uploaded it to Megaupload Your supposed to extract the 3 folders and just drop them into your "Engine" folder in Crysis 2 folder. game should prioritise the loose folders/files but you could always remove the "Engine.pak" archive (game will still work as it will read the loose files).

Your supposed to use this graphics mod with my custom config to for best graphics quality.

EDIT: //FIXED version fixing some missing cvars and errors..
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R81HBIWF

For visual feedback check out my latest screenshot I'll soon post.

Cvars injected into base "extreme" config (you can always edit them out or change other cvars with Notepad). A few mightbe redundant but just incase. Consult commetns in my custom config for what each cvar does.

r_UseSoftParticles=1
ca_FacialAnimationFramerate=30
r_DepthOfFieldBokehQuality=1
r_Fur=1
r_pointslightshafts=1
r_WaterReflectionsQuality=3
r_HDRTexFormat=1
e_CoarseShadowMask=1
e_GIGlossyReflections=1
e_GISecondaryOcclusion=1
e_ParticlesCoarseShadowMask=1
e_ParticlesLightsViewDistRatio=512
e_ShadowsCastViewDistRatioLights=2
e_ViewDistRatioPortals=100
e_LodCompMaxSize=20
e_DynamicLightsMaxCount=1024
e_TerrainDetailMaterialsViewDistXY=4096
e_TerrainDetailMaterialsViewDistZ=256
e_RecursionViewDistRatio=2

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually using your config mate' =)

still running at over 60fps too! Looks great!

Btw any luck on aim assist???

I guess technically it doesn't much matter at this point though, in my despair I went ahead and bought a Razer Nostromo that should be arriving the next few days..

Friggin hate keyboards.

Edit: whoops, I didn't see your latest one. It comes with idiot friendly instructions?

I'm actually using your config mate' =)

still running at over 60fps too! Looks great!

Btw any luck on aim assist???

:)

About the aim assist, so far I have only found settings to change how it handles but not enabling or disabling it.

I guess technically it doesn't much matter at this point though, in my despair I went ahead and bought a Razer Nostromo that should be arriving the next few days..

Friggin hate keyboards

Looks great and like something from Blade Runner. I mgiht look into buying something similar in the future.

The store/small building in the middle is reflected properly as you strafe...
That's the police station, and it seems it's only the door frame giving a proper "reflection", and only until you bust out the lights illuminating it. that is what I was referring to as specular highlighting, and the same can be seen on the traffic pylon on the left as well as the standing light on the right. Anyway, the scene would have looked better if they just stuck with that and left out the crappy cubemaps.

Nebula, I multiplied all the corpse settings by 10x and it's a lot more fun playing the game when the dead aliens just keep piling up :smile: Do you know if there is a setting to keep the ragdolls enabled even after death? My biggest problem with Crysis 2 isn't the graphics...it's the dumbed down interactivity.......

g_corpseUnseenTime=3000 //Time in seconds that the player has to look away from the corpse before it disappears.
g_corpseManager_maxNum=200 // Limit for number of corpses active at any time.
g_corpseMinDistance=2000 //Distance in meters that the player has to be away from the ragdoll before it can disappear.
g_corpseMinTime=3000 //Minimum time in seconds that a corpse will be visible.

My biggest problem with Crysis 2 isn't the graphics...it's the dumbed down interactivity.......
Yeah, a friend of mine who has been playing the game on his 360 dropped by last night, so I fired up the first game and he was so awestruck by the physics interactions that twice he commented "it doesn't have anything like that on my version." So I had to remind him twice that we were playing the old game, while Crysis 2 has far less physics interactions on the PC version too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you looking for in regard to aim assist? The option is there in the controller settings.

They removed it from the MP for controllers to stifle the whining from PC users.

They kept it for the SP. So now if you use a gamepad of any sort in the MP, you get demolished.

That's the police station, and it seems it's only the door frame giving a proper "reflection", and only until you bust out the lights illuminating it. that is what I was referring to as specular highlighting, and the same can be seen on the traffic pylon on the left as well as the standing light on the right. Anyway, the scene would have looked better if they just stuck with that and left out the crappy cubemaps.
For some reason they seem to be using both, a regular cubemap (that causes the problematic reflections) and proper (though blurry) realtime reflections for the wet surfaces.

Yeah, a friend of mine who has been playing the game on his 360 dropped by last night, so I fired up the first game and he was so awestruck by the physics interactions that twice he commented "it doesn't have anything like that on my version." So I had to remind him twice that we were playing the old game while, Crysis 2 has far less physics interactions on the PC version too.

Tis sad.......but the focused gameplay on C2 is very fun.

I bet someone will soon recreate some of the Crysis 2 levels in Sandbox 2, and we will all cry foul even more at Crytek lol.

Back