PowerVR Series 6 now official

It appears things may be realigning away from japan and more towards china/ taiwan.

In that regard, mediatek is expected to ship 200m SGXed chips this year, and have a rogue licence. The other announced rogue licensees are Hisilicon (don't know if they will be looking to sell chips or only supply Huawei) and Intel. I suspect that LG might also announce a rogue soc for mobile in due time, given they have done so for TV.

During CES they've stated they would have some "big" things in line in terms of graphics when asked about performance versus Apple, but only towards the end of 2013 / beginning 2014.

Samsung announced they will launch a high-end Tizen phone, in late 2013, as Intel is a Tizen partner, it raises some interesting questions.

During CES they've stated they would have some "big" things in line in terms of graphics when asked about performance versus Apple, but only towards the end of 2013 / beginning 2014.

Let's wish Samsung the best of luck then, albeit it might be rather OT to the thread here ;)

Renesas announce their Rogue automotive Soc.

http://www.renesas.com/press/news/2013/news20130325.jsp

Big little 4x4 plus a G6400. The G6400 is referred to as "hood" both by IMG on the Khronos conformancy pages, and Renesas on some docs I've seen.

I wonder are they using openCL on the GPU to support the optional image processing.

I see one of the OSes that has been optimised for this Soc is from QNX. Didn't they also have input into the blackberry OS. Why I mention that is unclear !

Last edited by a moderator:
That's something I can agree with, albeit I can hear the "but buts" chiming in already ;)
I would say that it's going to be high performance mobile SoCs in general that are going to drive future process innovations and yes, the GPU is a big part of that.
I see one of the OSes that has been optimised for this Soc is from QNX. Didn't they also have input into the blackberry OS. Why I mention that is unclear !
Blackberry OS 10 pretty much is a version of QNX. No surprise there of course, as QNX was bought by Blackberry (still called RIM at the time).

Big little 4x4 plus a G6400. The G6400 is referred to as "hood" both by IMG on the Khronos conformancy pages, and Renesas on some docs I've seen.

I wonder are they using openCL on the GPU to support the optional image processing.

QNX used to build a lot of (all?) the in-car computers for BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I'm not sure if that's continuing under Blackberry or not. Seems like it must be if QNX has optimized their OS for this soc.

big.LITTLE for a part aimed squarely at automotive entertainment/navigation? That's pretty weird, I figured that level of power from a car is pretty much use it or lose it, why bother optimizing for it? I wonder if this is a part originally intended for mobile but repurposed due to too much competition..

big.LITTLE for a part aimed squarely at automotive entertainment/navigation? That's pretty weird, I figured that level of power from a car is pretty much use it or lose it, why bother optimizing for it? I wonder if this is a part originally intended for mobile but repurposed due to too much competition..

They've had this part on the roadmap for a couple of years.

Isn't it more that the the primary driver might be heat dissipation, rather than power draw, as these devices tend to be installed in a very limited area of a rather enclosed dashboard.

They've had this part on the roadmap for a couple of years.

Isn't it more that the the primary driver might be heat dissipation, rather than power draw, as these devices tend to be installed in a very limited area of a rather enclosed dashboard.

Heat dissipation and power draw are basically the same thing. Thermal concerns are driven by peak sustained load. Which is going to come from the big CPU cluster and the GPU. The A7s are purely a battery life optimization, they don't do anything to decrease heat dissipation at peak, unless the car software is only expected to use them extremely briefly. Maybe if they're just there for speeding up navigation algorithms but that hardly seems worth it.

Wish we knew the clock speed on that G6400. As implemented 10 times SGX543MP2@250MHz puts it a bit over 2x the SGX554MP4@280MHz in the iPad 4, which I believe is the current fastest shipping Series5XT implementation.

Given they are comparing with 543MP2@250Mhz, this diagram which compares a G6100@300Mhz with 544MP2@250Mhz (which has the same Gflops performance as a 543) might help extrapolate a clock for the x10 G6400..

Diagram suggests G6100@300Mhz has about 150% of the SGX. Simplistically, a G6200@300Mhz would have 300%, a G6400 would have 600%. One might suggest a GC6400@500Mhz would be needed to provide x10 Gflops relative to a SGX543MP2@250Mhz.

The above assumes G6100->G6400 is a linear x4 improvement clock for clock.

PowerVRGPU_PowerVR_G6100_SGX520_SGX540_SGX544MP2_relative-performance.png

Last edited by a moderator:

From the Renesas press release "Mass production is scheduled for mid-2014" I do wonder, if we will actually see a shipping device with a Rogue GPU on 28nm, in 2013. Unless the perf/ watt has been dramatically improved, I'd wager large part of the Rogue's performance increase is dependant on the 20nm process.

Wish we knew the clock speed on that G6400. As implemented 10 times SGX543MP2@250MHz puts it a bit over 2x the SGX554MP4@280MHz in the iPad 4, which I believe is the current fastest shipping Series5XT implementation.

600MHz-ish IMHO.

***edit: presupposition the MP2 in their former platform was actually clocked at 250MHz and not less.

Given they are comparing with 543MP2@250Mhz, this diagram which compares a G6100@300Mhz with 544MP2@250Mhz (which has the same Gflops performance as a 543) might help extrapolate a clock for the x10 G6400..

Diagram suggests G6100@300Mhz has about 150% of the SGX. Simplistically, a G6200@300Mhz would have 300%, a G6400 would have 600%. One might suggest a GC6400@500Mhz would be needed to provide x10 Gflops relative to a SGX543MP2@250Mhz.

The above assumes G6100->G6400 is a linear x4 improvement clock for clock.

With all due respect screw those marketing diagrams which I have severe doubts they're in any sensible way accurate.

A 543MP2@250MHz gets 16 GFLOPs times 10 = 160GFLOPs.

From the Renesas press release "Mass production is scheduled for mid-2014" I do wonder, if we will actually see a shipping device with a Rogue GPU on 28nm, in 2013. Unless the perf/ watt has been dramatically improved, I'd wager large part of the Rogue's performance increase is dependant on the 20nm process.

I'd be VERY surprised if the automotive/embedded market would turn out to be MORE aggressive with its roadmaps then the tablet/smartphone market.

As for the rest: 20nm will allow more cluster and higher frequencies and only the first quarter of the year has passed. Don't you think there are still possibilities for mid-year, fall or even pre-Xmas releases?

Back