Track and Field world championships in Berlin

Anybody else spending time in front of TV watching these?
Very entertaining competition so far. Shot put had excellent competition in both men and women events and Usain Bolt just shattered the world record on 100 meters. The record is now 9.58s, absolutely incredible!! Can't wait for the 200m. I think men's Javelin is the only one, where Finland is going to get medals...

Who would've thought years on someone would obliterate Ben Johnsons "record" so much and be totally clean while doing so.

Usain Bolt is an absolute legend and chances are he's going to smash his 200m record as well.

Maurice Green says he still has a lot to learn about running the 100m so the mind boggles as to how fast he's going to end up doing it in his late 20's early 30's (the prime age for sprinters).

Hopefully nothing happens to him and his is able to continue for years. It might get boring seeing him win all the time but seeing how fast he can go will keep it interesting I think.

Still got a feeling he wasn't running 100% all the way last night.

I do think the comparisons to 1936 and Jesse Owens are a bit silly, though, especially when every single racer on the 100m dash was black, and with only one European in it at all.

The fact they were all black makes no difference.

Sounds like you are comparing more than just althletic ability unlike everyone else.

The fact they were all black makes no difference.

Sounds like you are comparing more than just althletic ability unlike everyone else.

Of course I am, the Jesse Owens myth is about more than just athletic ability and I'm sure you know that. There have been many remarkable athletes in the past, such as Carl Lewis. Beyond exceptional athleticism, what they have in common is Berlin, but by bringing up Jesse Owens you also bring up a ton of baggage that makes the comparison a poor fit, and, like I said, silly. I mean, the freaking BBC tried to stretch it a little further and say 'Jesse Owens wore Adidas, Bolt wears Pumas'.

Yes the BBC do go way over the top (I suppose thats what you get for having former sportsmen and not journalists commentating), still Owens was bigger than Athletics and so is Bolt, the reason for it is different, but all the same they both transcended the sport and will move the sport on.

:LOL: Just watched the "women" 800m final hahaha. That thing is definately not a women, maybe they have done an operation to it, but s(he) is definately more man than woman. That dude is 18! and was totally dominating the rest, that's very unlikely for a female.

edit: I hope they test her properly, they could start by measuring her dick :smile:

She wasnt doing herself any favours by not shaving. Thats gotta be embarassing having doubts about your sex, I wonder if she'll get asked to pose for sports illustrated?
She should of dressed in a short miniskirt, with over the top makeup, long blond wig, high heels, handbag over the shoulder

heres one of nz's most famous laywers, see following the above rules anyone can easily pass as female
alice_body.jpg

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/king-country/news/article.cfm?l_id=129&objectid=10421740

I don't think it's fair to blame her. If she has been born with male and female chromosomes( or parts or whatever) then it's not her fault but rather the fault of Athletics South Africa for not doing proper tests before she was sent to the World Championships.

Here's a very good read.

Among athletics websites, there is a general resentment and anger (people take the sport seriously, they feel this makes a mockery of the event), and it is directed mainly against Athletics South Africa, but also against Caster Semenya (which I don't believe is fair - the governing body, sure, as mentioned, but not the athlete, for I don't believe she is wilfully cheating).

http://www.sportsscientists.com/

Not new allegations

The fact of the matter is that these allegations are not new. They have followed Semenya for a few years. Therefore, there was ample time to verify sex (again, a difficult process) and clear the way for her to compete. There is no doubt however, that the question was always going to be raised in Berlin, that people would ask and scrutinize, and so good management and coaching would have seen this resolved BEFORE the Championships even began. Because it was not, we are sadly seeing that Semenya will be the loser in what might well become an ugly story. There is surely nothing more offensive than the question of a woman's sex - even a doping accusation does not come close.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2009/08/caster-semenya-male-or-female.html

According to the media liaison of Athletics South Africa (ASA), Ethel Manyaka, ASA would not send an athlete to the World Championships if they were not certain about the participant’s gender. [Ross: Then why was Semenya sent to begin with? How could you be "certain" unless you had done comprehensive testing on her? And "comprehensive testing" means genes, hormones, physical anatomy, psychology, internal medicine - see below. To imply that ASA was certain of her sex is to imply that she had been comprehensively tested, which she was not]

I don't think it's fair to blame her. If she has been born with male and female chromosomes( or parts or whatever) then it's not her fault but rather the fault of Athletics South Africa for not doing proper tests before she was sent to the World Championships.

It's also not fair that the other women competitors can't ever compete with Semenya, who totally dominated the race at 18 years old. Semenya didn't win because she's gifted, but because her body is a man's body.

It's also not fair that the other women competitors can't ever compete with Semenya, who totally dominated the race at 18 years old. Semenya didn't win because she's gifted, but because her body is a man's body.

Nothing's been proven yet, so please reserve your judgement and stop condemning her.
She is physically gifted, so I don't know wtf you're going on about.

Nothing's been proven yet, so please reserve your judgement and stop condemning her.
She is physically gifted, so I don't know wtf you're going on about.

If you don't see it, then it's your problem... No real woman will ever be able to compete with her "gifts" or with her facial hair. Yeah tough luck for her as she probably is some sort of mix between genders, if not a full blown man, and of course she is not responsible for the way she was born, but the fair competition for the other women is more important that the faith of one transsexual. In two years she would beat the others by 5 seconds.

Back