Halo 2 High Res

I watched it a little while ago. Man, it looks sweet. The poly count could be a little better on some of the models though.

Oh yeah, and AI can drive now? I hope that it isn't just on that particular level.

Ozymandis said:
I watched it a little while ago. Man, it looks sweet. The poly count could be a little better on some of the models though.

Oh yeah, and AI can drive now? I hope that it isn't just on that particular level.

Yeah, Bungie didn't like the idea of the Master Chief shuttling all the soldiers around in the first game. Should really be the other way around :) (hence the driving AI now)

Ugh, sites are getting hammered. The torrent link is only pulling 14k/sec, and GamePro's FTP seems capped at 60k/sec :? Thats the shitty thing about having a fast net connection, half the time you're faster than the actual internet ;)

Am i the only not impressed by the in-game footage? Cutscenes are ok with subtle filters like dof but in-game.. meh. The environment looks very plastic like and not much above the halo indoor levels, simplistic looking surfaces with bump maps and shades.

Gameplay looks cool though, everytime i see master chief jump on the ghost and kick the brute out ala GTA, i get one huge grin on my face :devilish:

lookin good so far. an yes some modeling is a little low poly but given what we seeing here it's pretty impressive so far... :)

Cyborg said:
The environment looks very plastic like and not much above the halo indoor levels, simplistic looking surfaces with bump maps and shades.:

Doom 3 looks the same way. Too "fake-y". It's still a cool effect.

yea their DOF effects on cutscenes are nice.

glad to see they didn't go overboard on stencil shadows/self shadowing here. shouldn't be overused unneccesarily IMO.

Yea, the high res trailer is alot better than that crappy other one. You can see all the little cracks and things in the ground textures, good detail!

Actually I’m not to impressed by the ground textures, or textures in general. Yes the cracks in the tiles are bumpmapped, but only coarsely so, and there aren’t any detail-textures visible (although that could be down to mpeg2). Far worse, for example are the stripes on the road, which are very blurry, almost N64 quality.
Looks to me like they’ve spend far too much of their texture budget on excessive bumpmapping.
And where are the DOF effect you’re all talking about? Apart from the cut scenes, heavy aliasing is visible right to the horizon.

Found this screenshot, Obviously a developer shot though.

h2_e3_08.jpg

Detail texturing? Right before the Master Chief goes through the tunnel you can read all the information on the highway billboard thing :p

I agree that the city is a teeny bit too 'polygonal-futuristic' for the sake of keeping their environment counts low, but we still haven't seen what all the other levels look like (the entire game isn't in the city).

Back