Should I reinstall if going from C2D to C2Q?

MatiasZ

Regular
Should Windows be reinstalled when going from dual core to quad core CPUs? The OS versions would be XP32 and Vista x64.

Thanks in advance ;)

As davros said, you dont have to. The only time a reinstall is really recommanded is when you switch mainbord.

Not necessarily, I once went from nForce2 to nForce3 without reinstalling, mainly due to lack of time, and after updating the NV driver package it worked without a problem.

If you switch from Intel to AMD or VIA it certainly helps if you uninstall any chipset drivers beforehand and upon changing and rebooting let Windows' hardware detection do its thing. Same for going from single to dual/multicore which will require a HAL change anyway.

To avoid problems and be absolutely on the safe side, I'd still backup and then completely reinstall in most cases.

As Curt mentions, doesn't it take a new HAL when changing number of cores? (And thus a reinstall or repair install)

To my understanding, the HAL for single core and multi-core is different under Windows NT/2000, but Windows XP does not seem to have this problem anymore. But I'm not completely sure about it. Personally I have a Windows XP installation upgrading from a single core P4 to a Core 2 Duo without reinstall and it works fine.

To my understanding, the HAL for single core and multi-core is different under Windows NT/2000, but Windows XP does not seem to have this problem anymore. But I'm not completely sure about it. Personally I have a Windows XP installation upgrading from a single core P4 to a Core 2 Duo without reinstall and it works fine.
Windows XP still has different HALs for single and dual-core cpus, but it will automatically switch them it seems:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283/EN-US/
In any case, there are no different HAL's for dual-, quad-, hexa-, or whatever-core cpus, only single cores can use a different hal.

Not necessarily, I once went from nForce2 to nForce3 without reinstalling, mainly due to lack of time, and after updating the NV driver package it worked without a problem.

If you switch from Intel to AMD or VIA it certainly helps if you uninstall any chipset drivers beforehand and upon changing and rebooting let Windows' hardware detection do its thing. Same for going from single to dual/multicore which will require a HAL change anyway.

To avoid problems and be absolutely on the safe side, I'd still backup and then completely reinstall in most cases.

Thats why I said recommanded ;) I know sometimes it wont make a difference but i've seen it often enough that you couldnt even boot into windows with a new mobo installed.

Well, thank you all for your answers! If HAL is the same for dual or quad or more, then it should be fine I guess. I am however seeing there are some problems between 680i chipsets and Penryn cores, anybody has any first hand experience on this? I was about to put a Q9300 on my Asus P5N-32 Deluxe, but apparently it is a no-go for this combination :(

I didn't have to reinstall windows 2000 when adding a pentium pro to a PC, just had to go in the device manager and change the item that said something like "ACPI uniprocessor PC".

When changing to more/less cores, the only thing you've ever needed to update (since windows 2000) is which HAL the OS is using.

There are only two: Uniprocessor and multiprocessor.

Since Windows XP, windows automatically detects this and changes for you.

Well, I've installed a Q9450 on my P5B Deluxe, and after updating BIOS to latest (beta) version everything works as expected, and Vista didn't complain at all.

Thank you all for you help ;)

My you were lucky. I get a new main every few months (mainly for shits and giggles) and I would never not reinstall. Had waaaaaay to many issues in the past.

Back