2008 anime recommendations thread

I get my fix of Macross from a group called gg but then I archive only the versions from menclave.

An interesting one I thought with great animation and a dare I say it 'cute' story is called Toshokan Sensou also released by the menclave group that you could be interested in checking out.

Not sure how you feel about Gundams but Gundam 00 Season 1 was quite awesome also from the same group menclave. If I knew your preferences, perhaps I would be able to suggest some more? Oh and D.Gray Man is also something I would highly recommend.

Oh I also forgot to mention but check out Samurai 7. I wonder if you guys have seen it.

I was initially quite trepeditious about seeing this. Gonzo, remaking an Akira Kurosawa film and *not* making a hash of it? Didn't seem possible.

It is actually really rather good. Ignore the title credits sequence with the annoying Jpop music and you get into this interesting retro futuristic retelling of the story. Helping the vibe is the traditional japanese musical arrangement used for the background music and despite having stonking big cyborgs wandering around it all works pretty well.

That said I haven't finished watching the series, only watched the first four dvds of the seven, but it has been a solid bit of fun thus far.

Code Geass R2 just finished up, OMFG!!! :oops:

I thought Macross Frontier was only 24 episodes and I finished watching 'em all late last night and was REALLY perturbed to find out it wasn't over yet, good thing #25 came up yesterday too! :LOL:

haha so I take it the ending was good? I am going to wait till menclave get their act together and batch release some more Geass goodness. Their releases are slow but their quality is unbeatable. That said I quite enjoyed the ending of MF though there are a lot of questions left to be answered and in typical fashion a full length animation movie is supposed to be released for MF to I guess explain in more detai..

GG is pretty fantastic with Code Geass R2, although I've been doing Nightspeed a lot too since they come out about a half a day earlier than all the others. ;)

It ended fantastically, very grood stuff.

Code Geass R2 never really lived up to the quality of the first series, but props to Sunrise for ending it properly and it a suitably surprising way.

I have to agree. I definitely enjoyed season 1 of CG a LOT more than the R2. But oh well.

I will have to check out GG's stuff just like I did with Macross. Thanks digi!

Right now I'm really enjoying Bleach and Naruto: Shippuuden. In the past I've really enjoyed:

Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell: SAC
DBZ
Eureka

Will have to see if any of the previous suggestions other people have made are available online...

Edit:

Oh! It's worth mentioning that in Naruto: Shippuuden, it's looking like a rather new interesting story arc has just begun, and in Bleach it's look like the current filler arc is just about over, so we should be started on a new story arc very soon! (side comment: for filler, this Bleach arc has been quite good, though the continuity with previous arcs is questionable)

Your in for a wild ride if you don't read the manga . The story finaly kicks up and we get to see alot of great things from Naruto .

Compared to Naruto filler arcs everything looks good.

The problem with series like Naruto and bleach is that after the first 2 seasons character development comes to a dead halt. Rukia is still secretly burning the same candle for Ichigo as always, Sasuke is still the same emo douche he always was, Naruto is still a tard. It gets tiresome.

well

Naruto finaly puts his clone ablity to use and masters some crazy powers. Saskue finaly beats his brother and we learn that his brother was really working for the village to keep it safe and died protecting his brother and giving him a new ability. his brother also gave naruto some of his power. Saskue now wants to destroy the village. Jiruya dies fighting pain and the Sage frogs train naruto . We find out that Naruto is the 4ths son (though we all knew this for awhile). That pretty much catches up to the manga. However I think reading the manga and watching the anime naruto has really grown since the original storys. I to got pissed when he allways used the clones or the rasanga but that is starting to change and he is becoming a ninja with some cool moves. Saskue still sucks but its not as bad as it was. Even secondary characters have grown up. One of them lost their sensi (this weeks anime) and you can tell that he is diffrent in the manga after that.

Your in for a wild ride if you don't read the manga . The story finaly kicks up and we get to see alot of great things from Naruto .
Makes me wonder whether or not I should go and read the manga...but it's definitely looking like this is the case.

In the last pair of episodes of Naruto: Shippuden,
Naruto had just started attempting to combine his rasengan technique with his elemental wind nature. He got to the point of causing a massive explosion that wiped out all of his clones, and upon trying again accidentally released the Nine Tailed Fox's chakra. Kakashi also went on about how nobody had ever been able to combine the rasengan with their elemental chakra, including the 4th Hokage that originally developed the technique. He claimed that he believed Naruto was the only one that could do it.

So all I have to say is that if you were wrong in this, with all this build up, I'd be hugely disappointed.

Makes me wonder whether or not I should go and read the manga...but it's definitely looking like this is the case.

In the last pair of episodes of Naruto: Shippuden,
Naruto had just started attempting to combine his rasengan technique with his elemental wind nature. He got to the point of causing a massive explosion that wiped out all of his clones, and upon trying again accidentally released the Nine Tailed Fox's chakra. Kakashi also went on about how nobody had ever been able to combine the rasengan with their elemental chakra, including the 4th Hokage that originally developed the technique. He claimed that he believed Naruto was the only one that could do it.

So all I have to say is that if you were wrong in this, with all this build up, I'd be hugely disappointed.

Well

If you read the manga you'd know what Naruto is going to be the one to do it. The whole theme of naruto is the young surpassing the old and succeeding where the last generation failed. If you look at Saskue and Naruto you have two friends that split apart due to things out of their control . You see this with Kakashi and his friend and of course Jiraya and Orichimaruo .

Sorry about butchering their names.

if you haven't read the kakashi story then you should search for it. its not in the anime but it explains how he got the eye. I use eau de toilette be sure to buy the manga as it comes to the states though

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I don't need to read the manga to be aware of that. The current story arc in the anime would be meaningless if Naruto didn't succeed here, so obviously he must.

Eastmen, about your spoiler ... yes I know what happens to Sasuke, but he is still an emo douche with really poor motivation. As for Naruto, I'm sure he will still be using one single technique which only ever works well once and being complete ineffectual just like before but a little shinier ... like the retard that he is.

Eastmen, about your spoiler ... yes I know what happens to Sasuke, but he is still an emo douche with really poor motivation. As for Naruto, I'm sure he will still be using one single technique which only ever works well once and being complete ineffectual just like before but a little shinier ... like the retard that he is.

I could not agree more. I cant stand Naruto the character to be honest. They just build him up a lot but all he has is like one move and now with this so called new technique it will be a more powerful version of that ONE move. If it were Sasuke vs Naruto despite the emo douchebag Sasuke is I would be cheering for Sasuke to put him down.

The sage training is interesting though.

I could not agree more. I cant stand Naruto the character to be honest. They just build him up a lot but all he has is like one move and now with this so called new technique it will be a more powerful version of that ONE move. If it were Sasuke vs Naruto despite the emo douchebag Sasuke is I would be cheering for Sasuke to put him down.

The sage training is interesting though.

Thats the thing , with that training it should open up many more moves , not just the enhancment of his one move.

The sage arts gave jairya alot of moves, the sage frog should be teaching naruto those. I think the whole thing with Naruto is that want him to allways have to struggle , He is not one of the genisus of the story but through his hard work and determination he is able to best them everytime. He was allways right behind Saskue but without realising it he was able to surpass him. He was under Nenji and was able to surpass him. I do agree that he has one or two moves that are way over used. however most of that is because of the filler. They had about a hundred eps of filler in which they couldn't really add things to the character because the manga hadn't progressed. That is a problem with all modern anime though. The filler just hurts them.

This is a second tag because it talks about mroe things that are happening an don't want to ruin it for anyone , so if your caught up with the manga by all means

I really want to see what happens when naruto finds out who his father is. How that would affect his choices and his training. The 4th sounds like he had alot of great powers and it be interesting if naruto found a way to use those also. I also want to see what Sakura chooses. Does she continue to pine for Saskue or goes for Naruto. The anime and manga are really starting to explore that point. Naruto and Saskue are following the great ninja before them. The chain of teachers goes from the first who had the epic battle to save the village , to Jirya his student who's best friend went rogue , to Kakshi who lost his best friend over a fight to now Naruto who has his best friend trying to destroy the town. It will be interesting to see if he can change the outcome the others had.

Thats the thing , with that training it should open up many more moves , not just the enhancment of his one move.

The sage arts gave jairya alot of moves, the sage frog should be teaching naruto those. I think the whole thing with Naruto is that want him to allways have to struggle , He is not one of the genisus of the story but through his hard work and determination he is able to best them everytime. He was allways right behind Saskue but without realising it he was able to surpass him. He was under Nenji and was able to surpass him. I do agree that he has one or two moves that are way over used. however most of that is because of the filler. They had about a hundred eps of filler in which they couldn't really add things to the character because the manga hadn't progressed. That is a problem with all modern anime though. The filler just hurts them.

This is a second tag because it talks about mroe things that are happening an don't want to ruin it for anyone , so if your caught up with the manga by all means

I really want to see what happens when naruto finds out who his father is. How that would affect his choices and his training. The 4th sounds like he had alot of great powers and it be interesting if naruto found a way to use those also. I also want to see what Sakura chooses. Does she continue to pine for Saskue or goes for Naruto. The anime and manga are really starting to explore that point. Naruto and Saskue are following the great ninja before them. The chain of teachers goes from the first who had the epic battle to save the village , to Jirya his student who's best friend went rogue , to Kakshi who lost his best friend over a fight to now Naruto who has his best friend trying to destroy the town. It will be interesting to see if he can change the outcome the others had.

Yeah I will concede there was just tooooooo many filler episodes with the anime. But really considering how far the manga is ahead of the anime they could have easily just not done with fillers at all! With that respect D.Gray Man is awesome!

Yeah I will concede there was just tooooooo many filler episodes with the anime. But really considering how far the manga is ahead of the anime they could have easily just not done with fillers at all! With that respect D.Gray Man is awesome!

I'm not so sure of that. The only filler in the manga was the kakashi arch which was what 4 issues. That came out and the anime was already finishing the Death of the third arc in japan. The problem is that you can really get through 10 or 15 chapters of the manga in 2 epsoides or so. So thats 15 weeks or just shy of 4 months worth of manga in two weeks of anime. So they have to stretch out the story in the anime. They do this on expanding on the manga during an epsoide of just simply making filler. Naruto had about 80 filler episodes before the new series started.

I am very bummed out today. Looks like D.Gray Man is going to end at episode 103. I was hoping it would keep following the manga but I cant believe they are citing lack of popularity for that show as a reason which is kind of amazing considering its so much better than Naruto!

Back