Tomb Raider: Underworld

The last 2 games were quite good. I played the PC version. TR to me has always been a PC game. I still even have the disc for the original PC TR.

The PS3 version might be the first I actually play on a console.

The last 2 games were quite good.

agreed, i never got into the origonal games save Darkness (which is ironic because i enjoyed it and it was considered the final nail in the coffin for Core) but both legend and anniversary were very good. Crystal Dynamics knows how to do creative level design, make the game look good, and not produce a control scheme that makes you want to tear your hair out. If they keep it up they'll sell games for quite some time to come.

Is CD now in England or something? They used to be in Palo Alto.

I liked that platformer game where the character is in some giant's house.

The preview was good, and the visuals aren't looking bad imo. I like that they are trying to do a "if you can do it in real life" kind of approach, but with the resource limit on video games and everything else, it always come across as a little forced or pointless. Still I am always willing to give it a go.

I only really enjoyed the first one, legend and anniversary, the others in the series never really got my attention.

CD however, I'm glad they took over the series. I was absolutely in love with the Legacy Of Kain series... (I'd love a remake in time line order to be released as 1 big game...) But i expected good things from TR when i originally heard they were taking over the series.

Uncharted clone
Nice stealth troll.

Crystal Dynamics aim for a handfull of next gen features in this release. I hope they deliver (they pretty much always do) because stuff like advanced hand to hand combat, environmental effects (rain, fog) affecting climbing and movement along with destructible environments sound like pure fun. Cleaning Lara by jumping into water sounds cool to. ;)

Is CD now in England
No.

Nice stealth troll.

It's not intended as a stealth troll. It's a funny reference to Uncharted being called a Tomb Raider clone so often (Duderaider).

The original, PS1 Tomb Raider is one of my favorite games of that era, I loved it. I was an exchange student in Stockholm, Sweden back then, and played the game until 3 in the night together with my dorm neighbour, a Japanese girl called Kumiko. That period I also played Tekken 2 with a French girl (forgot her name), we played 6 player Micro Machines v3 in the kitchen with half the dorm, and me and my then Swedish girlfriend finished the first Pandemonium together. Ah, the memories! ;)

Dito. If I'm honest - I still kind of miss the older style Tomb Raider games. Loved TR1 and TR2. Not sure if I dig the CrystalDynamic ones either - I'm one of those players that quite enjoyed the old controller lay out (resident-evil type controls)...

Preview of the new Uncharted clone :p :
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/848/848764p1.html

IIRC, SMM has been working on it, and Joker loves TR games.
Thank you for the "Uncharted clone" part... To be fair, we were also guilty of calling Uncharted "Dude Raider" for some time -- at least until we played it. And yes, I have been working on it -- specifically, I'm in the engine/tools dept, so I'm not on the TR team itself, but more or less serving the teams for both of the games we currently have in production here (the other I can't get into yet since it's not announced), as well as the Montreal Team who are using the same engine for Deus Ex 3.

Not because of an obtuse affinity for digital breasts however..

Honest...!
Of course. After all, if it was all about the breasts, you'd be pining for another DOA title or be giggling with glee at the Soul Calibur 4 female character designs.

Is CD now in England or something? They used to be in Palo Alto.
We used to be in a small building in Palo Alto (that was before my time), then moved to a slightly larger place in Menlo Park (I think not long after Eidos bought CD), though that place was right up against the border between Menlo and PA (basically straight down from the Dumbarton bridge). You could walk between the two old buildings in about 15-20 minutes. We moved out of that place in Menlo Park almost a year ago (that place has since been torn down) and are now in a large office space campus in Redwood City.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear they're still around.

Remember seeing job postings way back talking about mind-blowing interactive experiences or whatever.

Turned out they were working on the 3DO games at the time, Crash and Burn and I forget the other one.

The CD platformer I was thinking of was one of the Gex games, with Dana Carvey doing the voice. I remember him running in some giant room, being chased by a giant. Was like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Turned out they were working on the 3DO games at the time, Crash and Burn and I forget the other one.
Interestingly enough, you can take a 5-minute drive down from our current location to a small Italian restaurant on the pier... If you sit outside and look across the port, you can see the remains of what used to be 3DO.

I still have a Panny 3DO. Crash and Burn is one of the few games that I have left for it (others were lost or stolen). Brings back memories. :D

Is it true Eidos has sunk a whole pile of money into this new engine? Talk on 1Up Yours seemed to indicate that this was to be pitched as an all-out top-shelf engine, with TR:U being the first big game released on it.

If so, I can't wait to see your handiwork. There's nothing quite like that "whoa" feeling from seeing a beautiful game for the first time.

Is it true Eidos has sunk a whole pile of money into this new engine? Talk on 1Up Yours seemed to indicate that this was to be pitched as an all-out top-shelf engine, with TR:U being the first big game released on it.

If so, I can't wait to see your handiwork. There's nothing quite like that "whoa" feeling from seeing a beautiful game for the first time.
Well the part about the CDC engine being an all-out complete re-working to go "all-next-gen" and completely rip out anything from the previous-gen era is certainly true, though I don't know how much you can say that the bill for that is totally on the invoice sheet for TR:U (although it is the first title on it, big or small). The engine's condition for Legend was sort of a transitional state towards this sort of an end-goal that we're plodding closer to at this point (dropping legacy stuff off the map) and Anniversary was branched off that Legend codebase a little over 2 and a half years ago and done on the cheap, but that meant TR:A was going on while we were busy bringing this engine and its tools up to snuff for the sake of TR:U.

Still, there's another unannounced project going on here at Crystal which is also running on this engine, and in terms of schedule, it's staggered in its position less than a year behind TR. And then there's Deus Ex over at Montreal, which is only just getting started. We're not exactly far off from being in a position where this engine will be supporting 5 games all simultaneously in some stage of production/preproduction including TR:U and DX3.

Another big thing is that we've been restructuring a lot of things within this studio. The idea of a core "shared tech/engine/tools" team within the studio is something that's relatively new, as are shared design, and our "creative services" team... and all these teams provide services and in effect, product, for our "clients" who happen to be the actual game teams. While it's all "officially" still testing the waters, it's all paid off so far, and we've been pretty efficient as a result of it.

BTW, there are some other previews and interviews that go a little more into some details, albeit still marketing-oriented.
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/tomb_raider_underworld/preview-745.html
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/849/849347p1.html (IGN podcast).

Back