Latest rankings : Sony 7.3/10, MS 2.7/10, Nintendo 0/10!

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
I'm sure that got a few people's attention, but it's not what you're thinking! It's an environmental evaluation by Greenpeace of CE companies that's now extended to home consoles. In their opinion Nintendo don't have any regard for the environment whatsoever, or at least management practices aren't very thorough in managing green concerns. There's a better article here with Nintendo giving their position, although Next-Gen mention Sony Ericsson instead of Sony which was scored differently.

I'm sure that got a few people's attention, but it's not what you're thinking! It's an environmental evaluation by Greenpeace of CE companies that's now extended to home consoles. In their opinion Nintendo don't have any regard for the environment whatsoever, or at least management practices aren't very thorough in managing green concerns. There's a better article here with Nintendo giving their position, although Next-Gen mention Sony Ericsson instead of Sony which was scored differently.

Interesting ... so the console that draws the least amount of energy cares the least and the one that sucks the most (electricity ;) ) is the best for the environment ...

OK. :LOL:

People still give a damn about greenpeace and what they think?

Hell yeah! Most NZ'ers are proud of our Green policies and status! We even told Bush to p*ss off with his nuclear warships! They weren't allowed into our harbours!

Good going SONY! Now they just need to get all the activists and Greenpeace members to start buying PS3's and PSP's - to play whilst protesting all day!

Heh, if you actually read the article. The research was completely limited to the company websites so if they don't talk about the environment or whatever on their website its assumed they are doing nothing hence all 0's for Nintendo.

And of course not sure who listens to Greenpeace for their environmental concerns.

"Companies shouldn't be under any illusions that we won't check up on their claims of green greatness," commented Iza Kruszewska, campaigner for Greenpeace International.

So basically, when Quaz51 does it, it's great, but when Greenpeace does it, it's bad, right? ;)

Interesting ... so the console that draws the least amount of energy cares the least and the one that sucks the most (electricity ;) ) is the best for the environment ...

OK. :LOL:

Yeah that made me wonder too. Oh and another thing. MS is a software company mainly. I was expecfting Sony to have more waste since they own fabs and produce hardware. Weird

Hell yeah! Most NZ'ers are proud of our Green policies and status! We even told Bush to p*ss off with his nuclear warships! They weren't allowed into our harbours!

Good going SONY! Now they just need to get all the activists and Greenpeace members to start buying PS3's and PSP's - to play whilst protesting all day!

Its fine to have a green policy. That doesn't have to have anything to do with greenpeace (thankfully).

It's a good thing for GreenPeace to hound on the vendors though. This round seems to be manufacturing process related (policies and practices on toxic chemicals and takeback). Hopefully next round they focus on power consumption. That would bring some more attention to power saving mode on PS3.

So basically, when Quaz51 does it, it's great, but when Greenpeace does it, it's bad, right? ;)

Not sure if I term reading a company website as checking up on their claims of green greatness :p

If they went out, showed and documented what companies were actually doing wrong it be one thing and the other would be Greenpeace is kinda extreme anticorporate with little real understanding behind their arguments while Quaz51 seems to be actually knowledgeable.

It really put Nintendo in a bad light. I would expect some change in their policies after this exposure. There are atually quite a few people caring about Planet Earth, me included who pay attention this kind of information.

Until I see a change of policies I will postpone buying a DS for my daughter. She is not really in a great need of it anyway, but this made it stay away this christmas.

Eat that Nintendo!

I am not really happy about running Folding at home (despite the good cause) because of the extra energy consumption but it´s alright in the winter time as it helps heating the house, so it doesn´t really increase the total consumption. :smile:

TheChefO said:
Interesting ... so the console that draws the least amount of energy cares the least
Well once you take into account how many they sell, Wii will quickly produce more pollution then all others combined...

It also goes without saying that 360 using 7% less power but having 2x+ the install base of PS3 undoubtedly IS worse for environment - however, did anyone do a test of latest models (not to mention latest firmwares)? Is 65nm 360 still less power hungry then 65nm PS3?

I don't think they were talking about energy consumption here. The way I read it, the companies boasted on their green production lines, and greenpeace called them out on it. None of these companies probably boasted on their products' low energy consumption prowess so far. ;)

EDIT: there you go, the article Shifty linked to states:

the US website for the Kyoto, Japan-based game maker states, “Nintendo is very concerned with doing our part to help preserve the environment. We're always researching new products and procedures to make our products and operations as environmental-friendly as possible.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Finally, a reason to like Nintendo :smile:

I think they go by more then just electricity draw, PCBs, takeback schemes, recycling, chemicals used and so on. I guess Sony has expressly stated what they do on their website wheres Nintendo do not. It'd be interesting to learn what Nintendo actually does do, considering how many Wii's they sell a month they could have a big impact (compared to it's kin) on the environment.

So basically, Nintendo just has to put a bunch of stuff on their website about how green they are, and they get a better score.

I have my doubts about how "green" it is to recycle old consoles...although it would certainly provide some more 3rd world jobs.

Really dumb. Like Greenpeace.

I know this is very likely wishful thinking, but you are being sarcastic, right? :rolleyes::LOL:

They don't always do the right thing, and not everyone who works for them is equally bright, but a lot of people who work there are, in fact, very bright, and do good work.

I know this is very likely wishful thinking, but you are being sarcastic, right? :rolleyes::LOL:

They don't always do the right thing, and not everyone who works for them is equally bright, but a lot of people who work there are, in fact, very bright, and do good work.

Yes, because those few intelligent people you have in your organization makes it great... Just look at this situation to see the troubles with Greenpeace. This isn't the first time either, Apple magically increases their "Rank" simply based on what they say in public. Or they've, in one year, managed to nearly turn their act around...

Back