A Question Regarding V-sync

Oninotsume

Newcomer
Hi,

This question might be better asked in the AV forums, but it's concerning V-sync in regards to consoles, so I thought I would ask here first.

Basically I was just wondering if the rate of V-sync issues (horizontal tear) is at all effected by the type of display. It could just be an issue of human perception, but I swear I see far less horizontal tear on my Plasma at home then when playing the same games on an LCD at work. Could the video processing engines in some LCDs have something to do with this, or is it all in my head?

Thanks.

Oninotsume

Tearing is updating the display with two different rendered frames, not waiting for v-sync. I don't see how any processing can emulate or minimize it. But I'm sure someone here has an expert opinion.

Hi,

This question might be better asked in the AV forums, but it's concerning V-sync in regards to consoles, so I thought I would ask here first.

Basically I was just wondering if the rate of V-sync issues (horizontal tear) is at all effected by the type of display. It could just be an issue of human perception, but I swear I see far less horizontal tear on my Plasma at home then when playing the same games on an LCD at work. Could the video processing engines in some LCDs have something to do with this, or is it all in my head?

Thanks.

Oninotsume

The game is unlikely to be changing behaviour (unless you actually run at a different resolution on either TV) but the TVs themselves may indeed be performing some kind of processing. This might also vary depend on the input used (digital vs analog) or particular settings on the TV.

I've got a Samsung LCD in the bedroom that shows some odd tearing effects on DVD playback, which I'm pretty sure is not the DVD itself as I never saw them before I moved the DVD player up here.

^ would it be a LNTxx42H series or LNTxx53H series by any chance? those particular sets are know for screen tearing (although different from the tearing being mentioned here) and there is a firmware update by Samsung that addresses it.

Thanks for the replies.

Just for refrence I'm using a 47" Hitachi Plasma at home with HDMI, a 56" Bravia and a 19" I-O Data LCD at work. I tend to see much more horizontal tearing at work than at home.

If screen tearing is somewhat dependent on the monitor type, then perhaps that would explain why some people claim to notice it more in some games than others?

Back