Sony's cooking something for GDC?

I don't see how they could "release" back the memory - console games don't use "any memory available", they are tuned to an exact size. And newer games must still run on older PS3s with firmware dating before the "release".

No they don't...

That's what downloadable firmware updates are for..

And for those people who don't have internet connections, Sony can just as easily release such important firmware updates on disc..

In Kens speech real-time was the fourth dimension, people being able to enter your "apartment" when you are online is real-time interaction. This is what he had in mind, like it or not.

That's bullshit. what makes this "real time" exactly? That you can stream data such as music or videos? Being able to visit a 3D room on your machine doesn't make it the 4th dimension. Don't fall for the misuse of the 4D moniker.

I guess I missunderstand something, but if everytime I want to do something online, I got to deal with a 3d interface thats just a pain. Visit other people's apartments to see their "achievements"? I don't really understand why everyone is so excited.

Well, I guess we can get over the "4D" as typical PR talk, and not cling to that as something "Sony overpromised and did not deliver OMG!"!1!!!!"

That's bullshit. what makes this "real time" exactly? That you can stream data such as music or videos? Being able to visit a 3D room on your machine doesn't make it the 4th dimension. Don't fall for the misuse of the 4D moniker.

One could just as easily accuse you of being bullshit for jumping to conclusions. I don't recall anyone at Sony identifying their use of the word "dimension".

For example, even units of measurement are dimensions. Within mathematics there are various definitions.

I guess I missunderstand something, but if everytime I want to do something online, I got to deal with a 3d interface thats just a pain. Visit other people's apartments to see their "achievements"? I don't really understand why everyone is so excited.
it's very much a community feature game, like Sims online, or the Habbo thing.
Some people find it exciting, others don't.
It certainly gives more possibilities beyond a simple friends list, like social network mapping etc... and really being a game in itself migt make it the killer app of PS3 if executed well.

That's as futile as requiring someone to explain what the word "Wii" means exactly.

You tell that to Second Life addicts!

it's very much a community feature game, like Sims online, or the Habbo thing.
Some people find it exciting, others don't.
It certainly gives more possibilities beyond a simple friends list, like social network mapping etc... and really being a game in itself migt make it the killer app of PS3 if executed well.

True..

It sould like it could be a MMO experience tied to the core of the OS experience.. This could work very well if implemented nicely..

Just think, You get the social aspects of avatar based interaction with content and community AND the prospects for incremental enhancement to the world.. They could allow the user to craft a kind of "mii" and then you'd control this avatar in the virtual community space.. You could do things like..:

- Go to the movies with other avatars/by yourself and watch a film (On-Demand-Video-Streaming)
- Go the arcades and play VF & Tekken against other avatars
- Invite other avatars to your house for some singstar..

Plus they could craft little MP games specific to this virtual space which avatars could take part in and enjoy..

There's just so much potential in this depending on how its put together..

I'm definitely interested to find out more..

(Gonna have to wait like everyone else because us junior devs aren't getting sent to GDC this yr :cry:.. )

That's bullshit. what makes this "real time" exactly? That you can stream data such as music or videos? Being able to visit a 3D room on your machine doesn't make it the 4th dimension.
The point is the visitors will be seeing in real-time what you are doing online and you may see them and what they are doing, like what music they are listening to, see them walking around in your apartment admiring your furniture, having a shit or whatever, I don´t know.

Maybe we should save this discussion until after Phils keynote?

One could just as easily accuse you of being bullshit for jumping to conclusions. I don't recall anyone at Sony identifying their use of the word "dimension".

For example, even units of measurement are dimensions. Within mathematics there are various definitions.

Who is jumping to conclusions here? Me or those people saying this has something to do with 4D or whatever nonsense Sony PR connected to it? You don't need to be so defensive here. Sony's use of 4D in PR isn't correct if they are defining it as "real time".

The point is the visitors will be seeing in real-time what you are doing online and you may see them and what they are doing, like what music they are listening to, see them walking around in your apartment admiring your furniture, having a shit or whatever, I don´t know.

Maybe we should save this discussion until after Phils keynote?
Hearing the music they are listening to, is real time streaming or looking at video they have on their console is also real time streaming but I still don't see the connection between what you are proposing and the Fourth Dimension.

You're right, there's way too much speculation occuring. people are better off waiting to see what's going on instead of jumping to conclusions.

That's as futile as requiring someone to explain what the word "Wii" means exactly.

Not quite, talk about an exaggeration. You act like the names 2D & 3D have never been used in the context of video gaming before...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't, personally, get what there is to be excited about...

I like the current 360 system, it's not as pretty as it could be, but I can access information about games, friends or anything else quickly and easily.

The absolute last thing I want when I'm gaming though is to have other people able to access my system and use both my hard disk, slowing down that performance and my bandwidth as they stream data off my machine...

Guys, let's not go off the deep end on the meaning of "4D". Kutaragi's usage of the term is fairly clear, and really boils down to practically anything that draws data off the network.

Anyway, if you thread back through interviews with Harrison, this rumour seems to reflect pretty much everything he's been talking about for the last year in terms of myspace/second life style experiences and user created content. He's really been harping on about this for a long time, even hinting about stuff they were working on in this regard. A more recent interview with IGN sees him saying to look for details in the next 5 weeks (i.e. by GDC).

I have no idea why you are so attached to this offtopic session but you should have been a bit more pedantic by including your definition of 4D. Mine's here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space

Lol, I'm fairly certain this isn't what Kutagari meant by the usage of the term, which is the problem I have with people tossing it around verbatim. Or trying to make up their own definitions.

BTW NAO is right, that is just a subset :)

The PS3 is NOT a gaming console, Sony don't want it to be branded. It's "interactive entertainment". There was a minor brouhaha recently when the Edinburgh International Games Festival became the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival to satisfy its prime sponsor, Sony. So if they make their games slightly worse, but gain a lot in terms of functionality appealing to singstar/myspace/mii users, they are OK with that tradeoff.

I don't see how they could "release" back the memory - console games don't use "any memory available", they are tuned to an exact size. And newer games must still run on older PS3s with firmware dating before the "release".

The Playstation 3 is indeed a gaming console.

Let me get to the point.

I don't care what kind of functionality they want to add to the PS3 as long as it does not take up resources WHILE I'M PLAYING A GAME.

I want all the resources of the console to be utilized to optimize the game I'm playing. That means that the RAM is free for the game to use.

In my opinion, it should work like this.

When your playing a game all the resources are dedicated to the game. (Or at least almost all of them. I can understand a minimal OS running in the background).

However, when the game is not running and I've exited it every single other application should have ALL THE POWER OF THE PS3, CELL, and RSX to access.

I'm all for the OS having all the memory, all of the CELL, and all of the RSX to access when I'm not playing a game.

Go and give the OS 512MB of memory. That's fine with me.

But when I'm playing a game I don't want it to be sucking up 96MB of RAM that could have been used to make my game better.

Seems the Sony hating website Kotaku has broken the news.

I won't post it here as I'm sure Sony would find me and kill me :)lol:) but it does sound pretty cool if it is actually what they are up to.

Back