Game Informer - Factor 5 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
i stole this thread in full force from neogaf

Mod:
Selective and non- excessive quoting is ok. Summary is ok, as well. Stealing a complete interview is definitely not o.k.

turrican? make it happen please!

Carl B - Ok, here's the link to the original article so that there's a common reference point:
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200702/N07.0208.1857.43468.htm?Page=2

Last edited by a moderator:
On the PS3, the sky’s the limit. I’m happy that we got as much from it as we do right now, but we could go on for three years developing that engine and we know that the system will bear it. That’s the genius of Kutaragi’s designs—there’s so much headroom. And that makes the start up harder. But when you cross a certain threshold for the system and you know what to avoid and what to do right and how you write efficient code, how to basically have the Cell really talking in an optimized way with RSX, at that point it’s an exponential increase in productivity with what we’ve seen.
A lot of developers said the same thing. I guess we will see the true power of the PS3 next year when GT5 makes its debut.
But I hate Sony. They don't give you tangible dates for their upcoming games. My patience is wearing thin.

...[mentions 2004]...
When we had our early talks with Sony, it was basically about our dream system. The dream system included high-definition graphics and definitely larger storage media, which at the time was Blu-ray—that was pretty clear—but also motion control.

Nice! So Sony planned for motion sensing controler back in 2004...

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire interview is ridiculous IMHO. Putting HDMI in a console is the vision in graphics?? Oh, now I see why an unbalanced system doesn't matter at all. And Lair is ready for a spring release? They must be showing off a year-old version then if it looks plain ugly.

I think Factor 5 has become overconfident and cocky... Hopefully Lair won't be too much of a flop so that they can recover.

Nice! So Sony planned for motion sensing controler back in 2004...
No. That was their dream system. There's no basis for making that conclusion in what he says.

The fact nobody amongst sony devs had ever heard of motion controls little before E3 where thr controller was unveiled speaks againsdt the notion it was planned since 2004.

Peace.

Oh boy, the pr speak on the technical side of PS3 vs Xbox360 is awful. HDMI is the only output format that can deliver great graphics? Microsoft weaseling their way out of 1080P? An "analog only" device? I kind of hate F5 right now.

Oh boy, the pr speak on the technical side of PS3 vs Xbox360 is awful. HDMI is the only output format that can deliver great graphics? Microsoft weaseling their way out of 1080P? An "analog only" device? I kind of hate F5 right now.

Justin is just very enthusiastic about 1080p and HDMI. You shouldn't really hold that against him.

I'm sure he is not trying to say that it is the best fit for every game. Just the best best fit for his vision of the types of games he and his company will be creating in the future.

It's like when Kojima says he wants more than 25GB of media space. You should not read as this guy has totally gone bonkers. He is just has a vision for making use of the advantages of a certain techical feature.

I love Factor 5. I really do. I put in more hours competing for fast times and doing craft challenges in Rogue Leader than perhaps any other game on the GCN, (possibly) barring Wind Waker.

But honestly, some of the stuff that dribbles from Julian's mouth these days makes me vomit a little. It just doesn't sound like what I expect from him.

However, regarding the message board/leaderboard--I certainly wish that was in the RS games. That, and the ability to record and upload videos. Those three things together accessible from the game rather than having to go through a forum, a fan-hosted site, and depending on people having capture hardware/videocamera (respectively) all through the PC... that would have been awesome, and it makes me giddy thinking about it being a possibility for an F5 game in the future.

Nice to see game developers appreciating HDMI output so much as I do also believe that it will indeed lead to huge advancements in graphics, gameplay and general game design...

The fact nobody amongst sony devs had ever heard of motion controls little before E3 where thr controller was unveiled speaks againsdt the notion it was planned since 2004.

The final decision hadn't been taken. But Factor 5 was involved in the meetings on the controllers, and it took a while before Sony finally gave it the go-ahead, not to mention release the drivers. In the meantime, Factor 5 was pushing with Sony to get the motion control in, but was developing with both motion control and regular controls in mind, being able to switch if necessary. This was all in a previous interview, I think at TGS.

The whole interview is here:
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200702/N07.0208.1857.43468.htm?Page=1

There isn't much news in that interview, except that they are looking to have the game finished in the next few months, but that Sony ultimately decides when the game will actually be released (which I suppose is just like Microsoft is doing, aiming for one high-profile title each month).

I don't understand all the Factor 5 hate, to be honest. Maybe it is because HDMI is more generally considered essential in Europe.

that interview said:
“Please, please, please, please put an HDMI port in there, because only then can you really see the graphics,†and they said, “No, we’re designing the whole graphics chip around being analog.â€

Too bad that the 360 has an analog graphics chip, and that you can't see the graphics.

“Let’s take the strengths that we have, build on a couple of them and apply them to something that hasn’t been done before—which is a good dragon game.†As far as I know, there isn’t one out there in the 25 years of video games.

Sigh.

THis is the exact reason I can't stand Julian from factor five in interviews. He always throws out these idiotic comments, or decides to try and be a marketing wizard. He did this same BS 5 years ago before the xbox and gamecube launched. I thought he had calmed down recently but I guess not...

1. The comments about HDMI are idiiotic and nonsensical.
2. Instead of making an intelligent answer to some questions he just turned himself into a marketing person. comments like "Let’s do 720p for the games, mostly.â€￾ are BS.

3. the nonsense about designing the whole graphics chip around being analog is more Bullshit. The output chip is analog, not the graphics chip.

What I see from this is these aren't real answers and he uses this interview as an opportunity to bridge the differences between the platforms. Anyway as usual, when it comes to console specific comments I don't put ANY weight into anything factor 5 or Julian says as a developer. I didn't five years ago and I don't now... Julian never really gives honest answers to questions. well I hope his game is good or sony is gonna drop them like a hot rock.

Nice to see game developers appreciating HDMI output so much as I do also believe that it will indeed lead to huge advancements in graphics, gameplay and general game design...

what? I gotta ask are you poking fun in your saying that? HDMI has absolutely nothing to do with game development and it hardly makes any sort of difference to the overwhelming majority of HDTV consumers.

1. The comments about HDMI are idiiotic and nonsensical.
2. Instead of making an intelligent answer to some questions he just turned himself into a marketing person. comments like "Let’s do 720p for the games, mostly.â€￾ are BS.
3. the nonsense about designing the whole graphics chip around being analog is more Bullshit. The output chip is analog, not the graphics chip.

1. They are? Nice arguments you have. Some people look at a longer term view though than just the first few years after launch.:rolleyes: He is one of them, imho.
2. Maybe. But he as previously expressed that he thinks that as developers get more comfortable with the system they will eventually all be able to do 1080p native. He could be wrong, but he did make some valid points.
3. Yes, but the scaler chip is, right? So the current output pipeline is going to need some adjustments in order to be able to render a fully digital pipeline. It's a wholly different discussion whether or not you think this is really necessary of course. But even there we'll just have to wait and see.

Julian never really gives honest answers to questions. well I hope his game is good or sony is gonna drop them like a hot rock.

Two very bold claims.

what? I gotta ask are you poking fun in your saying that? HDMI has absolutely nothing to do with game development and it hardly makes any sort of difference to the overwhelming majority of HDTV consumers.

_41176509_sarcasm_416.gif

This was all in a previous interview, I think at TGS.
Yet these claims from F5 are to my knowledge the ONLY source that motion sensing had ever been considered for real from Sony before it was obvious to everybody people were a lot more excited about wii than previously expected.

I smell a retcon here. Still looks to me as if it was slapped in at almost the very last second. Probably as a way of trying to distract from losing rumble and likely try and steal a little of wii's thunder as well.

I don't understand all the Factor 5 hate, to be honest. Maybe it is because HDMI is more generally considered essential in Europe.
Probably because people would much rather prefer julian not talking the talk quite so much and instead walking the walk.

Their game's delayed ansd with no set release date despite having years of development already. Questions have been raised about graphics quality and gameplay. Meanwhile he disses other platforms and spreads nonsensical FUD no wonder it's making formuers upset..

They show some smooth dragon action at 1080P then mayb ethey have some bragging rights. YUntil then I and probably others would prefer if they just kept quiet.

Talking too much burned both John Romero and George Broussard (and David Perry also) in the past. Others still have a thing ro two to learn from that it seems! :cool:

Peac.e

Yet these claims from F5 are to my knowledge the ONLY source that motion sensing had ever been considered for real from Sony before it was obvious to everybody people were a lot more excited about wii than previously expected.

Nope, there should also be a patent somewhere indicating that Sony has been playing around the idea of motion sensing for quite some time. Just because Nintendo felt it had to tell the world on what they were working on, doesn't mean other companies (perhaps even Microsoft included) weren't considering similar features/technology at the time aswell.

Welcome to todays world and market where companies do influence each other in their decision making. I have no doubt that Nintendo did have some sort of influence on their competition, but to call it out-right copying is taking it to the other extreme.

I smell a retcon here. Still looks to me as if it was slapped in at almost the very last second. Probably as a way of trying to distract from losing rumble and likely try and steal a little of wii's thunder as well.

If sony produced documents from when they created the walkman that showed the PS3 prototype including a motion sensor in the joypad people would bitch about how Sony shouldn´t travel in time only to correct history and risk destroying the entire world (breath).

Instead of seeing the positive aspect of the motion sensor, ripoff, steal whatever it´s nice to have isn´t it? Or would you rather have a rumble and motion free controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back