PS5 Pro *spawn

and what does that WMAA mean in layman terms? Does PS5 Pro have a NPU?

The specs are fine but so are the original PS5 specs. I am more interested in the upscaling solution of Sony than the raw numbers tbh.
Basically a set of instructions added to SM6.8 to accelerate matrix multiplication operations (used in AI and compute) more efficiently.

PS5 Pro's cores will support these instructions specifically to accelerate these operations.

All of this sounds promising, especially PSSR which has potentiall to really boost visual quality of PS5 games. FSR2 really pushed devs into bad image quality, especially in 60fps modes.

Important to remember that this new upscaling tech won't increase performance, only image quality.

DLSS has better image quality than FSR2 but performs the same at matched quality.

Will they repeat memory structure of PS4 Pro? It added 2GB of DDR memory to the mobo to offload some OS services to it and free up more GDDR to games.

Another thing. I think we're going to be seeing a slimmer cheaper PS5 sometime after the PS5 pro. The reason I bring this up is because the price of the PS5 pro is going to be $499 discless and Sony will try to bring down the cost to manufacture the base PS5 as they adjust the PS5 price to increase unit sales of both the PS5 pro and PS5. Impressive strategy by Sony overall.

I also wonder if its going to be large. The PS5 was uncannily large for a Sony console. But considering it will share the same disc bay as the base PS5, we can estimate from there. Possibly same size as the current slim PS5 or smaller?

I will say, if Sony can pull off AI-based reconstruction well, it's going to embarrass Microsoft further, who touted their AI advantages for the new Xbox consoles, including for the purposes of upscaling resolution, and then never actually delivered on it whatsoever.

I think MS are beyond embarrassment.

It's clear that the dudes designing the Series X knew exactly what they were doing - they requested int8 and int4 mixed precision support and all that, and they correctly saw that mesh shader support, high compute and high bandwidth were going to be key areas to focus their limited resources on.

It's equally clear that MS don't really know what to do with those Xboxes. Or they do, but want to do something else because [insert bold vision].

Sony know what to do though.

I dont think the ML performance on the chip was ever there..

Even Series S has a lot more performance than the Intel CPUs with integrated graphics (and AMD APUs) that can benefit from software XeSS. Series X could run something heavier than that for sure.

I don't think the Pro is going to be that successful. It has to last for 3-4 more years.. and I just don't think the jump is there to do that. It's still hamstrung in many ways. We'll see what they can do with the price.

Perhaps MS' plan is to wait another year or so.. focus on getting their current slate of games out, and then release a sizable upgrade over Series X then while also leapfrogging the PS5 Pro in 2026?

They're not going to let Sony remain that far ahead of them for another 4 years.. at least not if they're planning on staying in the race. We'll see I guess.

Another thing. I think we're going to be seeing a slimmer cheaper PS5 sometime after the PS5 pro. The reason I bring this up is because the price of the PS5 pro is going to be $499 discless and Sony will try to bring down the cost to manufacture the base PS5 as they adjust the PS5 price to increase unit sales of both the PS5 pro and PS5. Impressive strategy by Sony overall.

I don't see a $499 Pro DE happening anytime soon. PS5 sales have slowed a bit, but haven't collapsed. The current slim PS5 DE is around $399-$449 in most stores, depending on bundle, and the OG model is still going for $499. If anything, PS5 Pro will be $599 (or more) and will be marketed towards the enthusiasts (who are willing to pay more), and not a replacement for the current two models which aims for everyone else.

I don't think the Pro is going to be that successful. It has to last for 3-4 more years.. and I just don't think the jump is there to do that.
It doesn't have to do anything except run PS5 titles better, and it's well positioned to do that with PSSR, I think (making assumptions on quality and suitability). Devs won't target it at all. It'll just be a compile target for the PS5 game. So all it'll do is run PS5 smoother in better quality, and that'll be enough for those who are just buying the bestest PlayStation. There are a good few 10-20 million who have these boxes for online gaming, Fortnite and COD et all, who'll be happy just to have better quality.

It won't sell in volumes. It'll run a nice halo effect (all future PS5 marketing using PS5Pro visuals) and cause a hardware ripple-down which'll help the total PS5 install base. It'll do exactly like a new high-end GPU does for nVidia or AMD. My only concern/curiosity is what it takes to put this together and what it'll need to sell to make its money back (at whatever margins)?

Perhaps MS' plan is to wait another year or so.. focus on getting their current slate of games out, and then release a sizable upgrade over Series X then while also leapfrogging the PS5 Pro in 2026?
well, all they could do in the console market is already done. I'd rather prefer if they also focused on making a PC to play games without all the bloatware that isn't needed for gaming.

It doesn't have to do anything except run PS5 titles better, and it's well positioned to do that with PSSR, I think (making assumptions on quality and suitability). Devs won't target it at all. It'll just be a compile target for the PS5 game. So all it'll do is run PS5 smoother in better quality, and that'll be enough for those who are just buying the bestest PlayStation. There are a good few 10-20 million who have these boxes for online gaming, Fortnite and COD et all, who'll be happy just to have better quality.

It won't sell in volumes. It'll run a nice halo effect (all future PS5 marketing using PS5Pro visuals) and cause a hardware ripple-down which'll help the total PS5 install base. It'll do exactly like a new high-end GPU does for nVidia or AMD. My only concern/curiosity is what it takes to put this together and what it'll need to sell to make its money back (at whatever margins)?
So "successful" like the PS4 Pro. That's basically my point. It's not going to change anything that isn't already happening. It'll be enough for people who want them.. just like the PS5 was. For the first couple years it was basically a console that ran PS4 games better than PS4/PS4 Pro.

PS4 Pro did 10-20M right? Well, the economy isn't exactly in a better place now than it was back then.. thus I'm expecting PS5 Pro to do worse than PS4 Pro did.. which is what I mean by it not being really successful. Price will obviously be a huge factor.. but over $600 and this thing is in for a rough time IMO.

Back