Well they could just charge $70 for the PS4 version right and then you'd have no complaints.

Or they could give the upgrade for free like many other publishers. I’ll complain over what I want when I want, thank you very much. I don’t owe any company nothing.

Flashback are video of realtime cutscene because of shitty HDD they can't load realtime cutscene of other place for example or when you have a scene cut to Khan for the same things. They can't load other assets fast enough on PS4. This is possible on PS5 but they could have redo the work on PS4 and new video or maybt it was too much work.

Seriously guys?

GOT got a FREE PS5 update, a FREE DLC with a whole multiplayer mode, it launched perfectly unlike so many other games.

They now are releasing a paid DLC which is an extension of the story with a whole new island.

You can buy the DLC, or you can buy this Director’s
Cut (original game plus this DLC) if you don’t already have the game.

You also don’t have to buy this DLC, or the whole game, so feel free to direct your outrage elsewhere!

I generally agree with your point, but I do take issue with the features getting added to the base game:

- fixed Japanese lip sync
- DualSense support
- 3D audio enhancements
- load time improvements
- 4K options
- targeting 60 FPS

being put behind a rather expensive paywall.
I was fine with what they did for Final Fantasy 7 Remastered, where the PS5 upgrade was free for the non-Plus owners of the PS4 base game, but the Intergrade episode was an additional expense. What I ended up doing was to get the PS4 retail game, played it upgraded on the PS5, then in the end I liked the game so much that I paid the extra $20 for the Yuffie episodes.

But here, you either pay for the full director's cut on the PS5, or you pay a $30 premium to upgrade from base game PS4 to director's cut PS5, or you pay $10 from director's cut PS4 to director's cut PS5.
You always have to pay the director's cut premium to get the PS5 enhancements on the base game, and that I find a bit too much. It looks like Sony is actively trying to stop people from getting the PS5 enhancements for free or a modest cost.

I generally agree with your point, but I do take issue with the features getting added to the base game:

- fixed Japanese lip sync
- DualSense support
- 3D audio enhancements
- load time improvements
- 4K options
- targeting 60 FPS

being put behind a rather expensive paywall.
I was fine with what they did for Final Fantasy 7 Remastered, where the PS5 upgrade was free for the non-Plus owners of the PS4 base game, but the Intergrade episode was an additional expense. What I ended up doing was to get the PS4 retail game, played it upgraded on the PS5, then in the end I liked the game so much that I paid the extra $20 for the Yuffie episodes.

But here, you either pay for the full director's cut on the PS5, or you pay a $30 premium to upgrade from base game PS4 to director's cut PS5, or you pay $10 from director's cut PS4 to director's cut PS5.
You always have to pay the director's cut premium to get the PS5 enhancements on the base game, and that I find a bit too much. It looks like Sony is actively trying to stop people from getting the PS5 enhancements for free or a modest cost.

Ah! I didn’t quite catch that this is what was happening in detail. I had read it wrong then, apologies.

I didn’t pay full price for GOT and I’m not sure I want to play the DLC anyway so I’m out of this one.

The PS5 enhancements are real, or it's the same thing that the 60fps mode en BC mode ? (which is awesome btw)

I really want to play on the other island, but 30euros for this... I'll wait for the reviews. If the dlc is around 10h, why not, but if it's like 2-3 hours, I'll wait for a sale in the futur.

New The PS5 enhancements are real, or it's the same thing that the 60fps mode en BC mode ? (which is awesome btw)

AFAIK the 4K60 mode on the base Ghost of Tsushima is just BC+, i.e. PS4 Pro code running at higher clocks.

Specific DualSense features require a PS5 binary and devs can't add it to BC+, so most probably all the other stuff like 3D audio, load times, lip sync, etc. are only available to those getting the Director's Cut on the PS5.

I'm of the opinion since it is an expansion of an original game, both new participants and existing customers should have the same financial threshold in totality. There seems to be a penalization for getting the game early. That is where my thoughts lie. The game came out a year ago this month. For a platform holder, seems kind of scummy when day ones like myself and others, whose money it was to convince Sony to allow Sucker Punch to put more resources in the game to begin with, can gouge for more money from us while people who never even got the game (some will double dip) seem to get the better deal by waiting on the fence. Seems backwards to me ultimately.

AFAIK the 4K60 mode on the base Ghost of Tsushima is just BC+, i.e. PS4 Pro code running at higher clocks.

Specific DualSense features require a PS5 binary and devs can't add it to BC+, so most probably all the other stuff like 3D audio, load times, lip sync, etc. are only available to those getting the Director's Cut on the PS5.

ouch. would be great if they allow "basic" compatibility with dial sense HD vibrator by funnelling FR, FL, RR, RL, LFE (basically all game audio except voice/center channel) into dualsense hd vibrator so gaames that doesnt support hd vibrator still can use the hd vibrator.

i did that on PC and it was amazing to feel the roar of motorcycle in cyberpunk, the whoop-whoop of fallen skiff in Destiny, etc

I'm of the opinion since it is an expansion of an original game, both new participants and existing customers should have the same financial threshold in totality. There seems to be a penalization for getting the game early. That is where my thoughts lie.

Early adopters knows this. You always pay more if you buy stuff day one.

I guess I paid 60 usd for the game when it released and now they are asking for 30 more to play the dlc on a new platform, with some enhancements for that platform. If I was on PS4 I would pay less, 10 was it for the dlc?

I do not see an issue here. It would be nice if I did not have to pay anything, free is always nice.

As someone mentioned somewhere on here, people don't owe Sony or MS anything. At the same time they do not owe you anything except for what the contract said they are obliged to deliver.

Is it douche move, maybe, but their first goal is to make money. If sony/MS could have more profits by selling paperclips they would. All PR about for the players and what not, sure its true, but only because its because that's the way they earn money.
Why did MS change their approach from XB1 where it was for everybody, but maybe players where not #1. Because it probably did not make as much money as the investment was expected to.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-05-sony-sets-the-price-of-ghost-of-tsushimas-ps5-exclusive-features-at-gbp9

Sony charging £9 for Ghost of Tsushima's PS5-exclusive features
Next-gen value?

''There's been a vociferous debate about the rights and wrongs of this move by Sony. It's already a sorry situation where Sony locks next-gen features behind a Director's Cut paywall, but £9 for improved 3D audio, DualSense support, and Japanese lip sync feels grubby.''

''As you'd expect, this hasn't gone down well. "Makes the decision easy for me to wait it out and get it cheaper down the line," wrote redditor k2theablam. Sucker Punch's Twitter page is dominated by replies from frustrated fans, too.''

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-05-sony-sets-the-price-of-ghost-of-tsushimas-ps5-exclusive-features-at-gbp9

Sony charging £9 for Ghost of Tsushima's PS5-exclusive features
Next-gen value?

''There's been a vociferous debate about the rights and wrongs of this move by Sony. It's already a sorry situation where Sony locks next-gen features behind a Director's Cut paywall, but £9 for improved 3D audio, DualSense support, and Japanese lip sync feels grubby.''

''As you'd expect, this hasn't gone down well. "Makes the decision easy for me to wait it out and get it cheaper down the line," wrote redditor k2theablam. Sucker Punch's Twitter page is dominated by replies from frustrated fans, too.''

I do wonder how many will buy the PS5 version of GoT without the new DLC, if you want to replay it or play it for the first time after buying it on sale for the PS4. Why would you not want the DLC to?

//Edit
My mistake i tought it was about GoT PS4 to PS5 upgrade, not for PS4 Directors cut to PS5 Directors cut. Which must be an even smaller niche group of people :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That version does not exist. There is only the PS4 version of GoT. Then there are PS4 GoT DC and PS5 GoT DC.

and the PS4 GoT DC need an microtransaction to become PS5 GoT DC.
But this is not a full-blown PS5 port, so it still can run thru external storage.

did i get that right? im really confused

Back