Rumors: Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass Restructuring? [2020-07] *spawn*

I'm not certain on entitlement for Original Xbox games.

They are treated as Xbox Originals on 360 & thus are free regardless of your Gold subscription status just like 360 games. Currently there have been 10 original Xbox games on GWG so far.

Tommy McClain

edit: btw don't all these changes mean a hike in price for XBOX online services?

What changes? Right now there are none except including xCloud with Game Pass Ultimate.

Reactions: Jay
It wasn’t too smart to renounce to a steady chunk of cash each month.

edit: btw don't all these changes mean a hike in price for XBOX online services?

Still not convinced it's not going free. Something is going on with it. The lack of 12-month Gold subscriptions is evident something is changing.

Tommy McClain

What changes? Right now there are none except including xCloud with Game Pass Ultimate.

By removing bulk purchasing options they are effectively raising the price. If they finally ditch Live Gold as a stand-alone subscription and include it as part of Gamepass that’s a 100% increase in price.

edit:
Monthly sub: 6.99 x 12= 83
Quarterly sub: 19.99 x 4= 79
(removed from MS store) Yearly sub = 59.99

that’s a 35%+ increase in price

Last edited by a moderator:
So MS has decided to give away large chunks of money to 3rd party shops. Ok. Or maybe these stores have still right to a limited number of codes to sell....

A lot of people are stacking 3 years of gold whenever there's a big promotion.

So the rumor is also lacking some logic to account for this.

Yeah. Very confusing right now.

Semi-recently, perhaps a couple months ago, the story resurfaced how MS Employee/Contractor made millions of dollars, despite it taking place from 2016 through 2018. [ https://www.cryptoinvoke.com/2020/02/26/former-microsoft-engineer-steals-digital-currency-worth-10m/ ] I would think they would have improved their internal security measures back in 2018. Maybe they found something new that could be abused and now they're in process of further improving internal fraud/embezzlement prevention with online codes. *shrug*

Or they're going to make online multiplayer free for everyone and Gold essentially goes away. Then Microsoft will have a conversion from X Months of Gold to Y Months of Game Pass or Z Months of Game Pass Ultimate. Or they could issue Microsoft Store credits.

Nothing is changing, right now.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n42743/xbox-live-gold
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-there-are-no-changes-being-made-xbox-live-gold-time

Microsoft has confirmed that there are "no changes being made" to Xbox Live Gold after an update to its Microsoft Services Agreement fuelled fresh rumours about the future of the service.

We reached out to Microsoft for comment on some of the rumors and speculation around Xbox Live Gold, and a Microsoft spokesperson offered us this statement:

The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold.

Its the first time I've seen it removed from the friends and family store -- ecompany employee discount store. And I've been on this store since 2013

Allegedly you can stack for up to 3 years from right now. It's been a couple years since I stacked and GPU converted though.

The first month of GPU for $1 & Gold(up to 3 years) to GPU conversion still works. I've done it twice. Need to wait a couple of days after GPU has expired though.

Tommy McClain

Back