Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice news today!

Now the question from me is: how much ram?

320-bit bus, I'm going to assume it will be 20GB and not a mixed setup for 16GB.
Where is the 320bit number coming from?

Why would you even linking both my posts?
Also, it's 12TF, not 12.1.

???just saying MS could already knew PS5's detail specs, not saying they will "help" Sony announce it lol.
what i'm saying is that MS couldn't use Mojang to procure a PS5 devkit for the sake of espionage

Very nice news today!

Now the question from me is: how much ram?

320-bit bus, I'm going to assume it will be 20GB and not a mixed setup for 16GB.
the real questions.

nice to have a lot of compute, but need a lot of bandwidth to feed it

I still contest that Sony clocking the GPU @ 2Ghz sounds insane. On the other hand, 8TF sounds incredibly naive. It just can't be the full story.

The AMD testlab leaks are most likely target devkit. Final TF number around 9TF (higher or lower), maybe 40cu at a lower clockrate. Most likely, as the XSX was 12TF in amd testleak, PS5 will be 9.2TF with 36CU's at 2ghz. Hence the need for a higher cost cooling solution.

PS2 titles on PS4 run on an emulator AFAIK, but I don't know if I'd call that BC because it's not like you can insert a PS2 DVD into the PS4 and run it. You need to pay for a digital key and download a copy, so for all I know you could be downloading a different binary.
PS4 uses an emulator. The OS was cracked and people could play arbitrary PS2 games. I don't think there are any quality improvements though; Rogue Galaxy was low res and blurry from footage.

PS4 uses an emulator. The OS was cracked and people could play arbitrary PS2 games. I don't think there are any quality improvements though; Rogue Galaxy was low res and blurry from footage.

All games using the emulator are rendered at 4 times their original resolution using a jittered, resampled method they patented. They never did any updates to take advantage of the PS4 Pro upgrade.

the real questions.

nice to have a lot of compute, but need a lot of bandwidth to feed it

I wonder if the rumored 560 GB/s (14 Gbps @ 320 bit) are enough for a 12 TF GPU which shares the bandwidth with a beefy CPU like Zen 2, as it would only be ~47 GB/s per TFLOP. Or if they would need to use 16 Gbps memory or something in between. The current consoles all have over 51 GB/s while having a much weaker CPU. On the other hand RDNA has better color compression which would save bandwidth.

btw: how important is bandwidth for RT?

BGs - vetted VR dev at neogaf said:
I can't say anything about the devkits. Although I can say something now that Microsoft has officially published the "number". And what I can say is the following:

If XsX is "12TF" then PS5 is not "9.2TF".

Similarly, if PS5 is "9.2TF" then XsX is not "12TF".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back