No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

The planet I saw had three base creature designs with the specific animals being variations.

Regards the poisonous rain, did it require you to act (take cover during shower) or is it just a constant shield drain requiring suit top ups?

You can get storm warnings, then you should take cover. I've been on a fire planet with fire storms, not fun.

Steam reviews are that it plain don't work on PC, or lousy framerate (15 fps on powerful PCs). Seems like PS4 is the only place to play at the moment.

But the names don't appear on the icons, do they? We renamed all the outposts encountered but in orbit I didn't see any of our custom names on the icons.
Yeah sorry it doesn't work. I also just noticed things reset, and it forgets when out of range, then the only way to find it again is to use the scanner. Really difficult to find something back.

It's a bit stupid not to be able to place our own markers.

Game should have been single platform, either PC or PS4 with a port to the other later on. PC version sounds like junk. Steam reviews are bad. User reviews on metacritic are bad. Critical reviews are mediocre. Price sets expectations that are way too high. Should have been $25. It is basically made by a tiny indie studio after all. Over-hyped by Sony dragging it onto Jimmy Fallon and Colbert. They didn't manage expectations for what is essentially an indie game. A more focussed development free of all the expectations probably could have launched better.

You can't blame Sony for all that - they aren't handling publishing on PC. AFAICS Hello Games are handling it all themselves. Sony helped with financing and support and marketing on PS. Everything else is Hello Games choice, including when to release on PC and in what state. The only sane explanation is the game worked on their development hardware and the faults have come as a complete surprise. That or they needed the money and stupidly released early with a view to patch (perhaps again with the test experience not being anything like as bad as it is).

I thought Sony was the publisher. Not intimate with the details. But the hyping of the game was largely done by Sony. Putting it on the tv circuit and all of that. I'm not saying it didn't deserve to be showcased at all. They definitely set the expectations very very high with the way they paraded it around.

They gave it a great PR push. In fact I think Hello Games wanted to release the PC version close to benefit from the great marketing Sony did for the title. A lot of complaints doesn't mean the title is failing on Steam either, almost on the contrary - it means it got a lot of sales!

We'll see where it goes from here. As long as the issues are fixed soon enough the PC crowd will probably forgive. Releasing on PC is hard and this release at least was close to the console release.

Wikipedia says HG only wanted marketing support. Hyping the game is Sony's 'fault', but also their responsibility as marketeers! NMS has far, far more coverage than other indie titles as a result, leading to large sales and significant income for HG - 200,000 Steam players at launch, £8 million gross from PC (Steam only). The state of the release on PC has nothing to do with Sony. Maybe they pressured a release date? But they aren't even the publisher on PS4. As self publisher, it's down to HG to manage the release of their product and ensure it's up to quality.

Well I'm loving it, 4 hours in - 2nd planet and enjoying every minute...not sure how long it will last get mixed reports of 'you need to put 20 hrs in before it shines' and 'after a few hours it get really boring' so...

I really like the game, but the ever looming threat of the game crashing to the dashboard or full-on hard system lock-ups is really starting to bug me. Everytime I engage the hyperdrive, it's basically a coin flip. Some jumps I had to do thrice before I managed to reach my destination. This becomes a particular nuisance when you intend to jump multiple times in a row as there's no auto saves in between. You have to either land and get out of your ship or touch a save beacon on a planet. Jumping multiple times in a row basically heightens the chances of a crash to the point of near certainty.
That said, I also had my fair share of random crashes during planetary exploration.

Last edited:
I am really lucky then i guess. No crashes at all ! Had a 4 hour playsession today too, made 4 jumps yet no crash.
Your story scares me. I hope my game stays rock solid stable as it had been till now

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

My first 10 hours went by without as much as a hitch as well, but ever since then it's been crash city for me. Same happened to the editor who reviewed the game for our site. It's been smooth sailing for my gf so far, so apparently not everyone's unlucky.

I realized I was heading towards the core, but my waypoint was the Atlas thing. That explains why I have not seen some stuff that my son has. I'm getting better at combat, but my ship is slow and big.

I wonder if I missed major story elements just because I refused the Atlas path. Or if the free roaming path isn't meant to follow any lore? The Gek info I'm getting from monoliths makes no sense.

(spoiler warning I guess, this is my interpretation from monoliths cryptic texts and encounters of my first few Gek systems. Still 172,000 to the center, I barely advanced physically)
Monoliths describe Geks as evil conquerors killing everyone else to take over the universe. Nasty stuff. But...

All Gek I met have a friendly demeanor and a joyful attitude. The animation is adding to it, some dangling their feet in a child-like manner. The "Gek Lucky Charm" found everywhere are described as symbols of "peace and fair trade" by traders. Even the "Gek Nip" gives an inoffensive vibe to the race.

Their social structure, their titles, and your faction standing are based on individualistic trade relationship. Trustworthiness is an assessment of peaceful trade intent, as opposed to the Vykeen which is political/military goal alignment (enemy? co-conspirator? interloper?), and the Kovak which is more religious or scientific (priests? traveler of Atlas? Whatever of the creator? Engineer?).

The Gek monoliths are counter-thematic!

I don't know if it is story, but the Atlas path has some cool stuff like those Atlas keys which give nice rewards.

I wonder if I missed major story elements just because I refused the Atlas path. Or if the free roaming path isn't meant to follow any lore? The Gek info I'm getting from monoliths makes no sense.

(spoiler warning I guess, this is my interpretation from monoliths cryptic texts and encounters of my first few Gek systems. Still 172,000 to the center, I barely advanced physically)
Monoliths describe Geks as evil conquerors killing everyone else to take over the universe. Nasty stuff. But...

All Gek I met have a friendly demeanor and a joyful attitude. The animation is adding to it, some dangling their feet in a child-like manner. The "Gek Lucky Charm" found everywhere are described as symbols of "peace and fair trade" by traders. Even the "Gek Nip" gives an inoffensive vibe to the race.

Their social structure, their titles, and your faction standing are based on individualistic trade relationship. Trustworthiness is an assessment of peaceful trade intent, as opposed to the Vykeen which is political/military goal alignment (enemy? co-conspirator? interloper?), and the Kovak which is more religious or scientific (priests? traveler of Atlas? Whatever of the creator? Engineer?).

Maybe a bug? Like... It should be viking but got swapped with geek?

I noticed that too. Its definitely very intriguing. They definitely see themselves as the oldesr race of theuniverse. Maybe the charmng demeanour is a distraction while they are economically taking over the universe in this new age !!! New times , new aims! No more emperors..but moghuls !

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Back