PS4 And Xbox One Have An 'Exclusive' Problem

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
PS4 And Xbox One Have An 'Exclusive' Problem

Given that Sony has given us such exclusive classics in the past like Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain and God of War, it’s a strange place to be. An if we’re being honest, Infamous is really only “good” in a sea of bad-to-mediocre titles.

Lastly, of course, we have Uncharted 4, the only weapon in Sony’s arsenal that seems like it could have the potential to be the kind of game-changing uber-blockbuster they need. So far, the visuals and gameplay that demos have put on display are impressive, but Uncharted 4 comes with a fair amount of baggage with much of the core team of the series leaving during production, including game director Justin Richmond and series writer Amy Hennig. The game was taken over by The Last of Us duo Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, certainly a capable team, but a somewhat unsettling departure for the series all the same.

And after that? Microsoft kicked off the Disappointment Party that made up most of 2014 with the release of Titanfall, a game that was hyped by them, fans, and the press right up until the moment of its release. Despite quality shooter mechanics, the game itself was content-sparse, offering only a select few multiplayer modes and an anemic “campaign” that was simply a string of multiplayer matches with radio voiceovers. Though Respawn worked tirelessly to add more to the game in time, it’s hard to think of Titanfall as success at this point and its sales numbers have never been publicly discussed.

All of this leads to 2015, where Microsoft has not yet had their own “The Order” style let-down (though many refer to The Order as Sony’s Ryse). But again, their exclusive line-up for this year seems heavily reliant on one title, and seems to have no “sure things.”

So that leaves Microsoft’s Uncharted-equivalent, Halo 5, which seems to be the only true potential blockbuster in their line-up. Halo 5 has debuted with an impressive beta that seems to show 343 is returning to the roots of what made the series great, and yet the game still can’t reside safely in the “sure thing” category, given how badly the developer has mangled The Master Chief Collection. No matter how great Halo 5 could be, a botched launch that’s even half as bad as MCC’s will be an utter disaster for the game, and in turn, Microsoft.

Nintendo, of course, exists on its own little island where it continues to pump out quality first party releases that are among the best games of the year, every year. But the paradox there still makes many hesitant to buy a Wii U, as you’re trading every single other third party game to have access to Nintendo’s catalog. It’s why the Wii U still exists best as a supplementary system, which is not a great place to be in the market.

Thoughts?

Infamous only good because everything else was mediocre.

Uncharted 4 will suck because they put the directors of TLoU in charge.

MS not yet had a "The Order" style let-down, as long as you forget about Ryse being exactly that, with a worse critical reception.

Nintendo best games of the year, every year.

Halo 5 is an Uncharted equivalent.

I'm out. No words. Brain hurts.

Sony still has Bloodbourne, GT, GOW, TLOU2 and other titles up their sleeves while the XB1 still have Fable Legends, Halo 5, Gears, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, QB, Crackdown, TR:RTR and others up theirs.

I've must of missed all the high volume selling first party exclusives that typically release during the first 18 months of a console's life.

I am pretty glad that MS and Sony don't regularly hype games more than 18 months out anymore. I don't miss coverage of games that 24 to 36 months away from release and seeing them at e3 over and over again.

But it seems as other construe this as a lack of first party titles on the horizon.

Sony still looks better from the titles announced so far. UC4's supposed issues are way above the public's perception - the game looks awesome and the IP is very very strong.

On the Xbox side Quantum Break shouldn't be sidelined IMHO, the material released so far has shown great potential. Not to mention how thin a slice of the final game it all seems to be; basically one part of a level and a few screenshots from other places.
Halo 5 is still a great unknown, although that recent comment about it being pretty innovative sounds very interesting when combined with the rumors about being more open world. MS is certainly spending hard on the game already with the MC Collection and the TV show and such, although that is not yet a sign of confidence...

But this year's E3 is going to be the most interesting IMHO, at least based on what I can see ;) This discussion is only going to get interesting after the show.

What?

No Mention of Bloodborne for PS4?

No mention of Quantum Break or ScaleBound for Xbox One?

Seems like the writer of this article is missing out on a lot of games for Sony and Microsoft's Platforms.

In the here and now, yes some future franchises and IPs are still far away from release, but I think there are sizable Exclusive games coming to both platforms this year.

I think system UI familiarity is a far more important factor in console purchases than exclusive content is.

So, I don't see the purpose of the article. The Order disappointed? So did Titanfall before that? Okay, both people who made their purchasing decisions based solely upon the promise of those two games feel pretty let down right now.

I think system UI familiarity is a far more important factor in console purchases than exclusive content is.
O RLY
giphy.gif

MS has had a solid line up ?

Dead rising 3 , Ryse , zoo tycoon , titan fall , Halo master chief , Sunset over drive, forza , forza horizion .

next year is halo 5 , fable , forza , tomb raider maybe one or two more come e3

I really have no idea what sony has. I guess the order , uncharted (though I bet it slips ) no mans sky and it sounds like they will have a lot with Morpheus tho that may be next year.

well they are two different types of racers. One is a traditional racer and one is a go anywhere racer.

They each have their own team so every other year one gets a release.

Its not any different than a cod. I don't play forza tho. Never liked racers

Uh.....why is MGS4 apart of Sony's 'offerings'?

As for me, i'm looking forward to Persona 5, UC4, Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank Remake, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Ultra SF4, Deception 4 Plus, Rime(?), and Disgaea 5 for PS exclusives on PS4 this year alone. I'm gonna get absolutely swamped by that as well as the third party multiplats.

There's plenty to play, certainly far more than a hyperbolic article like this suggests.

OP you're doing it wrong...

Forbes contributor articles are written as satirical fanboy rants, based on slanted perception and a fantasy...

... well... at least I think so anyway :p

MS has had a solid line up ?

Dead rising 3 , Ryse , zoo tycoon , titan fall , Halo master chief , Sunset over drive, forza , forza horizion .

next year is halo 5 , fable , forza , tomb raider maybe one or two more come e3

Quantum Break, new Gears title, new Crackdown... How come you guys always forget about some? :)

Back