The Order: 1886

It looks pretty awesome. I'm hoping it has a similar feel to Dishonored, that grungy steam punk victoriana.

Actually the noise and artifacting can be seen in the Eurogamer video and even that isn't super high quality.

Pretty damn impressive none the less.

Bit disappointing Sony didn't give any hint on the release date. Will it be somewhere in 2014 ?

Bit disappointing Sony didn't give any hint on the release date. Will it be somewhere in 2014 ?

someone from SCEE said Fall and Drive club to to in between Infamous and The order. The order is basically the first Gears / Uncharted game for PS4 as those were to PS360.

I'll never understand why this matters so much to people I guess. When it's a non-interactive movie scene, why the hell does it matter whether it's real time or not? Certainly didn't dampen my enjoyment of watching the cut-scenes in, let's say, The Last of Us.

Either way, after reading the Eurogamer article I'm definitely everything but convinced. Enough with the wannabe film directors already.

No horrible video compression artifacts like last gen even 720p video from bluray.

None of the games built with Blu Ray capacity in mind suffered from artifacting, though. It was really just some of the multi-plats that did.

I'll never understand why this matters so much to people I guess. When it's a non-interactive movie scene, why the hell does it matter whether it's real time or not? Certainly didn't dampen my enjoyment of watching the cut-scenes in, let's say, The Last of Us.

Either way, after reading the Eurogamer article I'm definitely everything but convinced. Enough with the wannabe film directors already.

I made the same question to myself. I too want real time cut scenes than prerecorded. When I know the cut scenes are prerecorded I feel that they are disconnected from the main game. I play games for both the visuals and gameplay. I am a graphics whore (depending on the game). I like seeing impressive visuals coming straight out of the console and knowing that the devs achieved the quality on screen with the limited resources of the hardware. Its satisfying when there is visual consistency between gameplay and cut scene too. When the cut scenes are real time and darn impressive I tell myself how amazing it is that the hardware I invested on, can output that quality.
I want the cut scenes to impress me. CGI FMV doesnt cut it like it used to during the 32bit days. Prerecorded cut scenes often use better shadows, lightsoures, motion blur etc that the hardware cannot output without sacrifices. So yeah, a prerecorded cut scene shows some amazing detail. So what? They probably used a render farm or something to bypass the limitations. Its different when that quality is there and is done on the fly.
But its not just real time cut scenes that I want. I want them to also be consistent with the gameplay moments. I dont want for example low polygon models during gameplay and high during a cut scene. FFX's character LOD between cut scenes and gameplay stood out like an old man's ball crawling under his Hawaian shorts.

None of the games built with Blu Ray capacity in mind suffered from artifacting, though. It was really just some of the multi-plats that did.

U1, U2, U3, even LOU have very noticable artifacts. Ryse too, I can spot them.

I made the same question to myself. I too want real time cut scenes than prerecorded. When I know the cut scenes are prerecorded I feel that they are disconnected from the main game. I play games for both the visuals and gameplay. I am a graphics whore (depending on the game). I like seeing impressive visuals coming straight out of the console and knowing that the devs achieved the quality on screen with the limited resources of the hardware. Its satisfying when there is visual consistency between gameplay and cut scene too. When the cut scenes are real time and darn impressive I tell myself how amazing it is that the hardware I invested on, can output that quality.
I want the cut scenes to impress me. CGI FMV doesnt cut it like it used to during the 32bit days. Prerecorded cut scenes often use better shadows, lightsoures, motion blur etc that the hardware cannot output without sacrifices. So yeah, a prerecorded cut scene shows some amazing detail. So what? They probably used a render farm or something to bypass the limitations. Its different when that quality is there and is done on the fly.
But its not just real time cut scenes that I want. I want them to also be consistent with the gameplay moments. I dont want for example low polygon models during gameplay and high during a cut scene. FFX's character LOD between cut scenes and gameplay stood out like an old man's ball crawling under his Hawaian shorts.

Exactly how I feel, also if the game offers some kind of cheat or dlc for costume swapping, games with Pre recorded cut scene only display the original model.

30 seconds of "gameplay". Meh.
Reminds me of KZ2, blurring everything as much as possible to achieve the CGI look.

Chromatic aberration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

You mean like this?

9569696b_20131212220218.png

For me it's more like if you wanna make a movie anyway, then by all means make it as good looking as possible. And taking the Naughty Dog games as an example, the difference in quality between what was prerendered and what was not really wasn't particularly big. It certainly wasn't off-putting. Heck, I think the visual disparaty between cut-scenes and gameplay wasn't any smaller in games like RE5 and RE6, even though it was all done in real-time.

At least there's motion there. The Order looks blurry even while the camera is static.

You got all that from Youtube videos huh? So then if not motion blur (which is what KZ2 had lots of), then they are just applying a Gaussian blur across the screen for a cinematic feel?

30 seconds of "gameplay". Meh.
Reminds me of KZ2, blurring everything as much as possible to achieve the CGI look.
There are simulated film camera effects, like CA, DOF, grain, and soft blur. Much like Ryse achieved similar results due, apparently, to its upscaling. Whether one likes it or not, it does appear to increase photorealism. Pixel perfect visuals seems to be last-gen. Next-gen is adding camera defects.

U1, U2, U3, even LOU have very noticable artifacts. Ryse too, I can spot them.

Exactly how I feel, also if the game offers some kind of cheat or dlc for costume swapping, games with Pre recorded cut scene only display the original model.

I can spot them too when I press my nose against the tv, but usually I'm too occupied to care because I'm cringing may way through the sad attempts at capturing human interactions unfolding before my eyes. I also think compression artifacts are an awful lot less distracting than - let's say - flickering low res shadows or ropey framerates.

The dlc costume thing is a good point, though. Always wanted to see tender moments between Doughnut Drake and Chloe.

You got all that from Youtube videos huh? So then if not motion blur (which is what KZ2 had lots of), then they are just applying a Gaussian blur across the screen for a cinematic feel?
We've known this since the reveal. Chromatic aberration blurs the image. The added film grain doesn't help either.

There are simulated film camera effects, like CA, DOF, grain, and soft blur. Much like Ryse achieved similar results due, apparently, to its upscaling. Whether one likes it or not, it does appear to increase photorealism. Pixel perfect visuals seems to be last-gen. Next-gen is adding camera defects.
Interesting. So a crisp IQ leads to worse graphics? Devs should keep targeting 720p I guess.

Interesting. So a crisp IQ leads to worse graphics? Devs should keep targeting 720p I guess.
Possibly. It's been debated before whether better pixel power is more important for photorealism than high resolution. In movies you are mostly seeing blurred images except for slow shots. Of course, games really need the same 1080p high quality still-shots to achieve that blue-ray look. However, higher resolution with a little blur will be better than lower resolution due to higher image density (high specular highlights will bleed into the blurred pixels and increase brightness accordingly) and less noticeable aliasing.

1080p with high quality post effects is harder to do than pure 1080p, clinical precision, so it's not like this is a cop out. I don't even think it'd hide lowres textures effectively unless they are using power-of-two textures, so they can't make savings in the assets by assuming their content will be obscured by the post effects.

Back