[PS3,360] Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Prophecy2k

Veteran
Hey all, i thought i'd make an official thread for this game as it didn't seem there was one on the forum yet, and i just finished this game recently.

Just to preface a little, i'm a bit of an Ace Combat noob, in that i've never played an AC game before this gen. So i picked up this after liking the demo on PSN (playing the PS3 version naturally), and WOW... the game was so much more fun than i expected it to be.

Not only did i LOVE the flying dogfighting gameplay and the variety in the choice of planes to fly (F-22 Raptor FTW), I also thoroughly enjoyed the variety with the helichopper missions and bombing missions where you have to go on bombing runs, as well as the slightly cheesy at first but overall rather entertaining story.

I was really impressed with this game and i think more people should play it. You can get it for really cheap now, so i encourage more people to pick it up if they haven't already. It can be fininshed pretty quickly too.

My only criticism would be the night-vision/plane gunnery mission. Very similar to what was in the first MW. I didn't like it in MW and i didn't like it here, it just really wasn't for me. Thankfully it was only one (or two) relatively short mission(s), and once you get through it and get to more of the fighter pilot missions it gets back to its nominal awesome :D

Anyone else played it, feel free to express your views on the game :)

Bought the game just recently and played through the first five missions.

I only played one of the very first Ace Combats for a very brief time so I can't really compare to anything. The missions seem to be a bit of the same throughout. The first three where to show the different types (one with a fighter jet, one with a heli and one with a bomber), the following are more of the same. Not that it is really a bad thing, the dog fighting is fun, but not really challenging. Heli missions are harder, since you have to keep moving and try to shoot things. The first bomber mission was quite challenging I thought since I didn't always knew what I was trying to shoot, and it isn't really well explained.

Missions seem to be quite long, at least half an hour or so to finish one, and if you die, you have to start over from the beginning or from a checkpoint of which there aren't to be encountered much. That can be frustrating sometimes.

The graphics are good imo, except for the ground textures, which are flat, no grass, no rock, no tree to fly against. Kinda dissappointing in that regard.

What about H.A.W.X. ?

I took it off the shelf a few times, but always put it back before I made it to the cash counter. ^_^

Never played H.A.W.X. except for the demo.
Don't remember much of it though.

Played another mission yesterday, one that takes place in Dubai. There are a couple of very recognisable landmarks, like the Burj Khalifa and the Palm Island.

Some flightpatterns of the enemies seem really scripted. I was trying to shoot down a fighter which hit the same crane everytime I had to redo that part.

What about H.A.W.X. ?

I took it off the shelf a few times, but always put it back before I made it to the cash counter. ^_^

Sorry Patsu, I never played HAWX either... Never really bothered with Tom Clancy games to be fair. I always got put off by the name as if because "Tom Clancy" made it it was meant to mean something to me. Perhaps i should give it a try though, since if it's anything like this game, i might enjoy it :)

Some flightpatterns of the enemies seem really scripted. I was trying to shoot down a fighter which hit the same crane everytime I had to redo that part.

I didn't really notice that myself. I just enjoyed dogfighting and shooting down planes in my awesome F22 Raptor :p

The game has many flaws to be honest, but i still thoroughly enjoyed it...

Back