China bans time-travel...

fellix

Veteran
...well, at least when it comes to television shows and movies.
Somehow, though, the government has taken a sudden disliking to the idea of distorting certain historical events, things and people. (Cough.)

The idea of time-travel has soared in popularity recently, and it seems like the authorities have just gotten sick of it. Common themes revolve around protagonists going back to ancient times, with script writers often taking liberties with plots and events. Even worse than just being an annoyance, some people fear a real disrespect for China's history.
Read more

:nope:

Yes, try turning in such a script; if the authorities put you in a gulag then you know they didn't approve of your idea...

But what about alternative histories?

They are almost fine by default for any government that is worried about what people write about history - it means that there is only one 'correct' version of history, and it is the alternative version they've chosen to suit them best. I've known a historian in one country who was basically ordered to write certain things about certain events. The historically correct truth was often unacceptable.

The problem comes of course when you try to write a different alternate history from theirs.

They are almost fine by default for any government that is worried about what people write about history - it means that there is only one 'correct' version of history, and it is the alternative version they've chosen to suit them best. I've known a historian in one country who was basically ordered to write certain things about certain events. The historically correct truth was often unacceptable.

The problem comes of course when you try to write a different alternate history from theirs.

The victors hate it when you get their history wrong, am I right? This is because history is written by the victors. Given that I've done enough history to know of the near constant rewriting, about the only things historians have really nailed are the dates when things actually happened.

The victors hate it when you get their history wrong, am I right? This is because history is written by the victors. Given that I've done enough history to know of the near constant rewriting, about the only things historians have really nailed are the dates when things actually happened.

Doesn't even have to be the victors. Given enough time, every great leader, general, author, composer, etc. will be homosexual or have latent homosexual tendencies. :p That appears to be the popular trend with history rewritting now days. :)

Regards,
SB

Why didn't they stop John Woo from making Battle of the Red Cliff? That movie is just a huge insult to Chinese history, and it isn't even time travel.

Doesn't even have to be the victors. Given enough time, every great leader, general, author, composer, etc. will be homosexual or have latent homosexual tendencies. :p That appears to be the popular trend with history rewritting now days. :)

Regards,
SB

Don't they say that every great man builds his empire on those who came before? :p

then what if the dates are undisputable but we don't know if the events were forged?
some say Gaddafi did not bomb Tripoli and that there's no evidence on the ground.

Regards,
SB

eh, I'm thinking of Hitler killing the SA leadership, he claimed it was because of homosexuality. There was indeed homosexuality, but the people he eliminated were killed because they were too left-wing. Also there was bullshit about the SA preparing some kind of pustch.

so, in the room next to Ernst Röhm's one, the SA's number two was having a night of fuck and love with an 18 year old nazi boy. they were interrupted by a hysterical Hitler storming the door with gun drawn, yelling orders to get up and dress up. pretty hilarious, if tragical way to die :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back