Apple iPad announced

I don't really care to be honest.

16GB is not enough , even 64GB can be argueed is not enough.

I don't care if they limit the sd card to eternal content I.E my own movies or to off load game saves or mail or what have you.

I'm also pissed at being able to change the battery. I perfer the option instead of having to head to apple .

I've never changed a battery on any device, whether my iPhone, PSP, camera, you name it. One's all you need. As for storage, by the time my 64 GB iPad is full, there will be a new model that I'll want anyway.

I've never changed a battery on any device, whether my iPhone, PSP, camera, you name it. One's all you need. As for storage, by the time my 64 GB iPad is full, there will be a new model that I'll want anyway.

I like to have multiple batterys. For example the ipad seems to last 6-11 hours depending on what your doing. If i'm on the go alot it b great to have a second battery to switch in when I need too.

As for upgrading when anew model comes out thats great. Some of us don't wnat to toss out $830 bucks a year on tablets.

Can't believe I'm considering Apple product. Anyway, my question is can iPad remote control PC ? I saw some article giving instructions on how you can control PC with iPod Touch using some VNC apps, so I assume iPad can do it too ? Anyone got any experience ? How does the experience translate? I don't mind plunging some money for one if it let me do my sketches anywhere around my house or the office.

For my purpose the iPad is seriously underpower but if my desktop is the one that is powering it, I can work with that.

Anyway, my question is can iPad remote control PC ?
Yes, no problem. Apps like iSSH support cmd line login and VNC.

I've only tried in on my iPhone. Controlling is a 1920x1200 screen with a 480x360 console is not exactly a user friendly experience. iPad should be better. The other problem is control keys: awkward at best.

IMHO it's only useful as an emergency solution, unless you have a very specific use case that's specifically designed for it.

Of course, Andriod has similar functions already, so Apple is really playing catch-up now. But it's better late than never, I think.

FWIW neither system is perfect. It's trivial to write an Android app that will drain the battery in no time by abusing/missusing the wakelocks framework, a really ugly hack Android developers put in place to handle multitasking while keeping good battery life.

I think Apple's solution is okay considering the usage pattern on these devices.

Can't believe I'm considering Apple product. Anyway, my question is can iPad remote control PC ? I saw some article giving instructions on how you can control PC with iPod Touch using some VNC apps, so I assume iPad can do it too ? Anyone got any experience ? How does the experience translate? I don't mind plunging some money for one if it let me do my sketches anywhere around my house or the office.

For my purpose the iPad is seriously underpower but if my desktop is the one that is powering it, I can work with that.

http://tugrik.livejournal.com/834583.html

I don't really care to be honest.

Of more relevance is that Apple doesn't care that you don't care :)
If seems clear to me that Apple has decided that content is king, and the protection of that content is a high priority requirement.
I don't care if they limit the sd card to eternal content I.E my own movies or to off load game saves or mail or what have you.

They clearly concluded that any external storage could be compromised, i.e. use .jpg file as a carrier to transfer non-image data.

Of more relevance is that Apple doesn't care that you don't care :)
If seems clear to me that Apple has decided that content is king, and the protection of that content is a high priority requirement.

They clearly concluded that any external storage could be compromised, i.e. use .jpg file as a carrier to transfer non-image data.

Pretty funny considering the ipad is out two weeks and already hacked

Pretty funny considering the ipad is out two weeks and already hacked

No at all, iphones have been out a couple of years now. Its on the very fringe, akin to how many PCs are overclocked, its a total irrelevance. Do you really imagine that hacked iphones are losing anthing more that 0.00x% of iphone content revenue ?

Now compare to how much content revenue gets lost from open systems such as PC ?

One reason why iPad may sell better than other tablets, including the HP Slate, is that they advertise the hell out of it.

Certainly several orders of magnitude more than the tablets from startups.

One reason why iPad may sell better than other tablets, including the HP Slate, is that they advertise the hell out of it.

Certainly several orders of magnitude more than the tablets from startups.

Not to mention it has a tiny apple logo on top of it which , more often than not, can magically make people overlook product shortcomings.

Keep in mind the target resolution of each device when looking at fill rates.
There are no numbers that are resolution dependent in those results, right?

So, basically, texturing performance of the iPad is exactly double. All the rest is pretty much identical, except for some texture size performance numbers that are higher for the 3GS?

Any idea how this can be explained?

No at all, iphones have been out a couple of years now. Its on the very fringe, akin to how many PCs are overclocked, its a total irrelevance. Do you really imagine that hacked iphones are losing anthing more that 0.00x% of iphone content revenue ?

Now compare to how much content revenue gets lost from open systems such as PC ?

I'm not sure where you'd loose content revenue on a pc that you wouldn't loose on an ipad.

Are you saying for the iphones and ipad if i downloaded a tv show from a torrent site that I couldn't then convert it to the proper file format and load it through itunes onto my ipad or iphone ?

There are no numbers that are resolution dependent in those results, right?

No idea frankly. But why shouldn't I assume that the benchmark actually runs at the device's maximum resolution?

So, basically, texturing performance of the iPad is exactly double. All the rest is pretty much identical, except for some texture size performance numbers that are higher for the 3GS?

Any idea how this can be explained?
The benchmark is vsynced afaik.

No idea frankly. But why shouldn't I assume that the benchmark actually runs at the device's maximum resolution?

The benchmark is vsynced afaik.

Low level tests are not vsynced on iPad/iPhone. Only the high-level "HD" test (pretty old) is vsynced.

I'm not sure where you'd loose content revenue on a pc that you wouldn't loose on an ipad.

Are you saying for the iphones and ipad if i downloaded a tv show from a torrent site that I couldn't then convert it to the proper file format and load it through itunes onto my ipad or iphone ?

You are starting with torrent sourced content, bringing compromised content *INTO* an iphone. which concisely illustrates the problem (from a content providers point of view) with open platforms like PCs, a lot of content out there has been compromised from open systems.

Getting content *OUT OF* an iphone/ipad is a *LOT* more involved that stuffing the content on a flashdrive/memory card and handing it to someone else. Maybe not to you or me, but to the average iphone/ipad user, the content is only theirs.

I'm also saying that other than jailbroken devices, every single app runing on an iphone came from apples servers.

Also it will not be at *ALL* surprising if the new content (magazines, newspapers ibooks) etc are in a proprietary format that only iphone/ipad plays.

Content is king, followed by user experience, everything else is just for hardware geeks. Apple knows it

Last edited by a moderator:
Low level tests are not vsynced on iPad/iPhone. Only the high-level "HD" test (pretty old) is vsynced.

That's highly interesting and thanks for the clarification. Are benchmarks being run at each device's max resolution?

Back