Halo: Reach

Is it true this title has never received an update/patch? If so what an amazing feat in today's environment.

Been playing MP for about a month straight now and the detail and polish and sheer magnificence (theater mode!) and brilliance of the balance and design is astounding.

sorry just had to pay it props after realizing it over the past month. :D

Yes, but the kill screen notifications in split screen is a pretty big design flaw, especially considering you never had this problem in any of the previous games.

When I play Reach I honestly don't find the textures that impressive, maybe it's due to the sub HD factor or ghosting, poor AA perhaps? The cutscenes on the other hand looks far better.
I agree on the ghosting part, but it doesn't happen often and I don't find it annoying. The temporal AA -I prefer MLAA- has its shortcomings also, like not working all the time, and some low geometry elements of the environment, like ropes and things like that.

However, Reach looks great whichever way you look at it, at least for me. In fact I'm surprised at how well it looks.

Besides that, after 4 years without playing Halo, passing for the very first time an Halo game like ODST, I am actually having a lot of fun playing Halo Reach. It's up there with Halo 1 and 2, my all time favourites in the series. Some of the battles are really intense and exciting.

Halo Reach is a gripping game!

I didn't like Halo 3 much, if at all -it always sucks when you realize that developers like Bungie you previously admired and liked are actually going in the wrong direction-, I have had that happen to me sometimes and it's frustrating as hell. I even bought two copies of Halo 3 -long story- before definitely losing my temper and not playing it anymore.

Reach is, fortunately, a totally different game, mixing everything that made Halo what it is now. Kudos to Bungie.

Also, Reach shows how you can innovate because of the universe they created. I can't say the same about other FPSs, which are all almost the same. The only FPS that is innovative lately is Halo.

Bungie built a rich universe, and maybe that means that the only way to achieve innovative gameplay is featuring it on futuristic FPSs and science fiction games. Too many games featuring "realistic" war gameplay (despite they have many Sci-Fi elements), they look like clones.

If I am going to play a game like that, I do rather like to confront aliens as they aren't my species, so yeah, no "emotional attachment". :smile: I don't know if any of this made sense...

I agree on the ghosting part, but it doesn't happen often and I don't find it annoying. The temporal AA -I prefer MLAA- has its shortcomings also, like not working all the time, and some low geometry elements of the environment, like ropes and things like that.

However, Reach looks great whichever way you look at it, at least for me. In fact I'm surprised at how well it looks.

Besides that, after 4 years without playing Halo, passing for the very first time an Halo game like ODST, I am actually having a lot of fun playing Halo Reach. It's up there with Halo 1 and 2, my all time favourites in the series. Some of the battles are really intense and exciting.

Halo Reach is a gripping game!

I didn't like Halo 3 much, if at all -it always sucks when you realize that developers like Bungie you previously admired and liked are actually going in the wrong direction-, I have had that happen to me sometimes and it's frustrating as hell. I even bought two copies of Halo 3 -long story- before definitely losing my temper and not playing it anymore.

Reach is, fortunately, a totally different game, mixing everything that made Halo what it is now. Kudos to Bungie.

Also, Reach shows how you can innovate because of the universe they created. I can't say the same about other FPSs, which are all almost the same. The only FPS that is innovative lately is Halo.

Bungie built a rich universe, and maybe that means that the only way to achieve innovative gameplay is featuring it on futuristic FPSs and science fiction games. Too many games featuring "realistic" war gameplay (despite they have many Sci-Fi elements), they look like clones.

If I am going to play a game like that, I do rather like to confront aliens as they aren't my species, so yeah, no "emotional attachment". :smile: I don't know if any of this made sense...
I certainly agree that Reach is a not bad looking game especially when coming off from Halo 3, but there's just not one particular aspect of it that stands out for me. Maybe it's the overly cartoony design of the enemy or Power Ranger esque characters, the art just doesn't appeal to me at all. The environment also seems lacking a great deal of details in terms of geometry density both interior and exterior. The level itself is big but just very empty, it could use some serious ambient effects and again polycount.
I find the game pretty enjoyable otherwise, with good character development, epic music and the openess of the battlefield. I love sci fi shooters but I definitely prefer Killzone, Gears and Crysis universe rather than Halo's, mainly due to the more gritty feel and more mature design.

hm...

Q. Speaking of making Halo wonderful, last time we spoke with you your team had just retrofitted a pair of classic Halo multiplayer maps - Hang 'Em High and Derelict - for Halo 2, a title you donated blood, sweat, and more than a few of your own personal tears to. Defiant features three brand new spaces for a game you didn't directly work on. How does that change your team's approach, and how do you make sure that you're making the right calls for fans?

A. It was definitely a new experience not being close to the decision making on Reach. We worked in stealth mode, without contact with Bungie, since you had your hands full finishing the game. However we had a way to vet our assumptions - the team at 343. These guys were involved with Halo: Reach from day one, so having their support was huge. Their community and test teams in particular were fantastic resources, as they basically wrapped up Reach and then moved immediately to testing our maps and giving us tons of feedback. Some of this feedback was shaped by the community's reactions to the game when it launched, so hopefully fans will find our maps enjoyable.
Wonder how Certain Affinity could even make the maps...

Ahem. ;)

I had a lot of fun with Halo: Reach mp. I would still be playing it if it weren't for those damn mandatory DLC maps. MLG is the only gametype I can play now without the DLC. I simply refuse to pay for mats released shortly after the game that are required to play the multiplayer properly. Bummer :(

I had a lot of fun with Halo: Reach mp. I would still be playing it if it weren't for those damn mandatory DLC maps. MLG is the only gametype I can play now without the DLC. I simply refuse to pay for mats released shortly after the game that are required to play the multiplayer properly. Bummer :(

You don't need pack for any of the game type, only for the DLC map pack list.

Anyone see this? Nice behind the scenes vid on the defiant map pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpsqbTRYRD4&feature=channel_video_title

Though overly-done a bit IMO the DOF they use looks really nice. Wish there were scenarios in the original game they could have implemented it.

hm...

Wonder how Certain Affinity could even make the maps...

Ahem. ;)

You mean how can they use the Reach engine if it's fully owned by Bungie? :smile:

You don't need pack for any of the game type, only for the DLC map pack list.

Yeah, I thought Bungie no longer separated the player base by map pack anymore. If everyone in the game has the map pack downloaded, those extra maps are included in consideration for the random pick over matchmaking. However if even one player doesn't have the map packs, they are ignored by matchmaking.

Sure, it's just a curious point that they had no contact with Bungie regarding their own tech.

Would it be crazy to think that both Bungie and MS/343 have access to the Reach engine as they please?....or some extent :p

Bungie's next game is multi-plat, wouldn't their engine is going to be rewritten to better accommodate this shift in development?

Why not give some access to the engine for future developments?

Sure, it's just a curious point that they had no contact with Bungie regarding their own tech.

Where did they said they didn't have contact with Bungie?

Would it be crazy to think that both Bungie and MS/343 have access to the Reach engine as they please?....or some extent :p

Bungie's next game is multi-plat, wouldn't their engine is going to be rewritten to better accommodate this shift in development?

Why not give some access to the engine for future developments?

Actually, i'd rather see what 343 Industries can do themselves, they seem to have some very talented people working there and Bungie haven't been in the best of form (technically) this gen.

I agree and don't agree. ;)

Well Halo 3 was pretty disappointing (technically) for a first party exclusive title, nowhere in the same league as top tier PS3 exclusives like KZ2 and Uncharted or even third party titles like BF:BC or Gears.

Compare that to Halo 2, which despite it's convulted development was still one of the best looking games on Xbox.

Well Halo 3 was pretty disappointing (technically) for a first party exclusive title, nowhere in the same league as top tier PS3 exclusives like KZ2 and Uncharted or even third party titles like BF:BC or Gears.

Compare that to Halo 2, which despite it's convulted development was still one of the best looking games on Xbox.
I don't agree and agree. ;)

Is it true this title has never received an update/patch? If so what an amazing feat in today's environment.

Been playing MP for about a month straight now and the detail and polish and sheer magnificence (theater mode!) and brilliance of the balance and design is astounding.

sorry just had to pay it props after realizing it over the past month. :D
Yeah, Bungie's production values are through the roof, right up there with Guerrilla, IMO. It's pretty amazing to see how much detail they put into making the world feel believable (the distant battles, etc).

I think with Halo 3, they just spent their resources differently. No other game at the time, and even very few today, had the save film option. I don't know if it's to be believed, but I read this was huge engineering accomplishment. On top of that, the game did have a lot of the bells and whistles you would expect, motion blur, great textures, HDR, etc. Most of it was just effected by the lower quality IQ and horrible texture filtering.

It would be hard to measure, but I bet Halo 3 pushes the 360 a lot more than the first Gears.:smile:

Also wasn't Halo 3 the first game where the pixel counters came into the scene? The revelation that the game was 640p changed the way people looked at it. Tbh three things kept Halo 3 from looking exceptional for its time and I don't think resolution was one of them. I think it was ultimately down to the low texture filtering which made the great textures look terrible, secondly I'd say it was the character model of the fellow marines and thirdly it was the lack of AA.

Yeah, I remember Quaz posting his images and doubting him for a while. Bungie was releasing noAA 720p screenshots right until the game went on sale, and I certainly accepted those to be real; but then it turned out that he was right and Bungie was the one not playing fair.

Anyone see this? Nice behind the scenes vid on the defiant map pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpsqbTRYRD4&feature=channel_video_title

Though overly-done a bit IMO the DOF they use looks really nice. Wish there were scenarios in the original game they could have implemented it.

You mean how can they use the Reach engine if it's fully owned by Bungie? :smile:

Yeah, I thought Bungie no longer separated the player base by map pack anymore. If everyone in the game has the map pack downloaded, those extra maps are included in consideration for the random pick over matchmaking. However if even one player doesn't have the map packs, they are ignored by matchmaking.

The engine is owned by microsoft, someone from 343i on neogaf confirmed it a while ago :D

Back