Analyst expects Sony losses to be six times higher than expected(1.6 billion dollars)

On the DVD/BD front though, BD Dark Knight sold over 1.5 million in its first week, so I think in terms of the pie, though it may be shrinking overall, at least some of DVDs decline is attributable to BD's rise.

On the DVD/BD front though, BD Dark Knight sold over 1.5 million in its first week, so I think in terms of the pie, though it may be shrinking overall, at least some of DVDs decline is attributable to BD's rise.

You could also say it's due to the rise of digital downloads too. Since they haven't given any numbers for those, we'll never know for sure.

Tommy McClain

With total sales (BD, DVD) at 13.5 million, quite a high pecentage for bluray really. How does that compare to other DVD releases in the past?
I dont think a comparison with nemo is fair, Dark Knight is definately not a kids film and definately doesnt have the same accross the board appeal. I wont be buying it for my 6 year old niece like i would have nemo thats for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Digital Copy of the Dark Knight also sold over 1.5m the first week. Warners and other companys are bundling in the digital verison free with the bluray

With total sales (BD, DVD) at 13.5 million, quite a high pecentage for bluray really. How does that compare to other DVD releases in the past?
I dont think a comparison with nemo is fair, Dark Knight is definately not a kids film and definately doesnt have the same accross the board appeal. I wont be buying it for my 6 year old niece like i would have nemo thats for sure.

Finding nemo made 340m vs the 550m and climbing Dark Knight so dark knight ws am uch bigger movie and has oscar buzz .

Well i guess we will see what happens with sony in the next few months. My real fear (and some might gasp at this) is that this will leave sony un-able to produce a true next gen system leaving only ms out there with a graphical beast.

That can probably happen looking at the crysis Sony is in but I doubt MS would aim for beast of a machine. I would more be something inline with the "Wii" since the competition would not be as strong techwise in the console playing field anymore.

That can probably happen looking at the crysis Sony is in but I doubt MS would aim for beast of a machine. I would more be something inline with the "Wii" since the competition would not be as strong techwise in the console playing field anymore.

But if they have a graphical edge over all other competitors they will sell ot the hardcore gamer. If they do it right they don't have to loose alot of money and get a larger portion of the market.

But if they have a graphical edge over all other competitors they will sell ot the hardcore gamer. If they do it right they don't have to loose alot of money and get a larger portion of the market.

Unless third parties are on board with Nintendo's next console. Then no one's going to up-port.

Unless third parties are on board with Nintendo's next console. Then no one's going to up-port.

Of course consumers have to be on board with nintendo's next console.

Hardcore gamers buy lots of games. Developers will make the games if the majority of the hardcore gamers are on the xbox next. The wii has a huge lead over both the 360 and ps3 combined but still high budget games are coming out for these systems.

BD sales are a fraction of DVD sales.

Digital downloads (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) are a fraction of BD sales.

Even digital rentals are probably very small.

How much did it cost them to win?

And more importantly, how much is it still costing them? those exclusive studio deals signed during the war with HD DVD won't just dissolve because HD DVD isn't around any longer. They still have to honor those contracts that can include free replication/production, marketing, cash handouts, etc.. People have short memories of such though.

BD sales are a fraction of DVD sales.

Digital downloads (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) are a fraction of BD sales.

Even digital rentals are probably very small.

Actually, digital downloads or rental represent a bigger market than BD right now and it will be a bigger competitor to BD than it ever was to DVD.

Actually, digital downloads or rental represent a bigger market than BD right now and it will be a bigger competitor to BD than it ever was to DVD.

For pay movies? I don't one person who pays for DD of movies, but I know half a dozen who rent BDs from Netflix. I guess it's possible if you count single episodes of TV shows and even Hulu.

For pay movies? I don't one person who pays for DD of movies, but I know half a dozen who rent BDs from Netflix. I guess it's possible if you count single episodes of TV shows and even Hulu.

I know more people who download movies from xbox live and tv shows than people that buy blurays.

I also know more people that have an apple tv and use it than use the xbo live tv shows and movie features.

I bet quite a few more people take advantage of their cable or satellite TV's PPV or VOD then buy BluRay. DD just isn't Apple TV and Amazon, its penetration into people homes is a far greater (a couple of magnitudes difference) than BluRays.

Other than the south park seasonal releases, I haven't bought a dvd since about 2001, when my cable provider came out with digital on-demand, and I installed a dvr (tivo). I now frequent the amazon unboxed service for my purchases and rentals. I have a 360, but haven't bothered with netflicks since I typically would rather play games on the console vs watch a movie.

I bet quite a few more people take advantage of their cable or satellite TV's PPV or VOD then buy BluRay. DD just isn't Apple TV and Amazon, its penetration into people homes is a far greater (a couple of magnitudes difference) than BluRays.

Hmm.. I found the stats well over a year ago, I believe it was even prior to the PS3 launch about console strategies this year.

The number of VOD purchases and the dollar amount of those revenue streams just in the yearly reports for Comcast and Time Warner were astronomical.

When addressing digital distribution, you have to remember that most broadly it is everything including bittorrent theft, and even most specifically it would still include iTunes and cable VOD services.

DrJay - if you really believe you don't know 'a single person' who has ever purchased a PPV (or VOD) movie from their cable or satellite provider, I honestly think you should re-poll your friends.

Is PPV (as in not on-demand) really DD? It's been around a hell of a long time in one form or the other.

I wouldn't characterize Pay-Per-View as digital d/l. That's because the PPV of old worked on analog systems, and were on a scheduled basis. You knew they played every 1.75 hours on the hour, or whatever the schedule was for a program. You would telephone in your order and then be able to tune into the program at the designated time. This was more of a similated/approximation of a digital d/l service.

The beauty of digital d/l or digital streaming (in the case of Cable based on-demand) is that you can view it as soon as your order. You can also rewind, pause, stop, come back to it, watch it however many times you wish, etc.

I've just discovered that Netflix and Tivo have an integrated service. Although I never would have considered getting Netflix to watch on my 360, I would definitely consider it on my Tivo. It's an admittedly odd trait of mine, but I like to keep my games vs. video entertainment distinct. I've even got a mobile phone that can be an excellent MP3 player, but still use my old iPod nano for that purpose.

Back