Bloomberg: Nintendo to announce "next-gen machine"

Bloomberg: Nintendo to announce "next-gen machine" at E3

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=a8k65Bb0Ndpw&refer=asia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo to Debut New Game Machine Next Year to Boost Sales

Nov. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of hand-held game players, said it will debut a new video-game machine in Japan next year and start console sales in China to spur revenue after posting its first loss since going public in 1962.

The company will start selling the next-generation video game machine next year in Japan. It didn't say whether the machine would be hand-held. Sales of consoles will begin in China this month, Nintendo said.

Nintendo's new machine and China sales push follow its move in October to slash prices in Europe and Japan for its GameCube console, hoping to spark holiday-season sales and compete with rival Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox and Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2. The company today reported a first-half loss, citing the stronger yen against the dollar and lower-than-expected sales of its GameCube console.

``GameCube is selling well after the price reduction, and Nintendo is in a better position than Microsoft, because the GameCube is more popular with younger kids,'' said Kota Nakako, an analyst at JP Morgan Securities Ltd. in Tokyo. ``The price reductions should have been factored into the company's full-year forecast, and should not affect earnings.''

Nintendo's group net loss totaled 2.89 billion yen ($26.6 million) in the six months ended Sept. 30. The Kyoto-based company generated profit of 19 billion yen a year ago. First-half sales rose 1.6 percent to 211.4 billion yen, the company said in a statement released through the Osaka Securities Exchange.

Nintendo today repeated its full-year net income and sales forecasts announced October. Sales are expected to total 550 billion yen and net income 60 billion yen for the 12 months ending March 31, 2004.

Nintendo also reiterated its full-year forecast of shipping 6 million GameCube video consoles, and 20 million GameBoy Advance hand-held games.

The stronger yen reduced the value of overseas assets by 40.3 billion yen, the company said. Operating profit rose 3 percent to 28.7 billion yen in the period.

The average value of the yen against the dollar in the period was 118 yen, compared with 123.08 yen a year earlier. The yen recently traded at 108.35 at 5:00 p.m. Japan time.

note, there have been several different versions of this story going around this morning. some with different statements. it also seems Bloomberg modified the original story. If there is any confusion or contradictions, you know ahead of time

next year? mmmmm aint that a bit early? i mean i'd like something that is A LOT better than current generation and don't mind waiting for it...

although i'm sure that whatever the hardware, Ninty will always provide us with some great AAA games down the line...

london-boy, its not the next console, its the unique new Nintendo game machine that unites software & hardware.

Nintendo N5, their next console, still isn't due until late 05 at the soonest. with 06 being more likely.

I'm still hoping beyond all hope that they're gonna launch a GCP. It won't happen, but I can still dream... :?

Megadrive1988 said:
london-boy, its not the next console, its the unique new Nintendo game machine that unites software & hardware.

What's that supposed to mean? Did I miss something lately...?

GHost said:
Megadrive1988 said:

What's that supposed to mean? Did I miss something lately...?

OH THANK GOD!!!! i wasn't gonna reply because i really really didn't know what he was talking about and i felt i was the only one not to know what seemed an obvious thing.... :D

but..... what's that all about????? did we miss anything????

London-boy

I think that was just something Nintendo said, not sure anyone knows what it means yet :)

Whatever this hardware is you should know its not the next gen console, N5 in 2004 is just not going to happen.

Megadrive1988 said:
... game machine that unites software & hardware.
judge.jpg

The return of Game&Watch?! Just kidding :LOL:

Sound a lot like the IQue, no?

Its not going to be a next gen console, nor will it be GBA2..

A conglomeration of softwares and hardwares... Im thinking of a NES/SNES/N64 and maybe even the gameboys but im not too sure how they would handle the softwares, maybe ala IQue where you go to a station, download your game and pay a small price. They wont restart production of their old carts thats for sure.

Ghost, london-boy and anyone else that may not have been aware:

Nintendo said months ago that it would announce / introduce
a new Nintendo games machine in the spring, that would be
"unique and surprising", that would combine hardware & software.

iQue is a good bet, because it cause it fits the hardware+software combination. although it might not be iQue.

It could also be the sucessor to GBA. or something else.

but it most likely will NOT be the new console to replace Gamecube.

Back