Seems like PS2 BC will be gone forever soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony makes money off of PS2's. They don't make money off of PS2 chips bundled inside every PS3. I think Sony would prefer that you buy a PS2 for your BC needs.

Yes but by years end there will be gta gt5 mgs4 dmc4 army of two ffxiii maybe killzone 2 maybe Resistance 2.

LOL I take it you did not wait for GT3 for PS2 (among others), which was originally supposed to be a launch game...I did and I know how Sony plays the game. I would not bet on gta gt5 mgs4 dmc4 army of two ffxiii maybe killzone 2 maybe Resistance 2 by the years end.

Besides, that is not the point at all.

LOL I take it you did not wait for GT3 for PS2 (among others), which was originally supposed to be a launch game...I did and I know how Sony plays the game. I would not bet on gta gt5 mgs4 dmc4 army of two ffxiii maybe killzone 2 maybe Resistance 2 by the years end.

Besides, that is not the point at all.

You don't think GTA (which is basically weeks away from release), GT5 (which has already been released in a playable form in Japan), DMC4 (WHICH IS ALREADY OUT), and all the rest which have been shown in working form will be out this year?

Guess you're a glass half-empty type, eh? ;)

You don't think GTA (which is basically weeks away from release), GT5 (which has already been released in a playable form in Japan), DMC4 (WHICH IS ALREADY OUT), and all the rest which have been shown in working form will be out this year?

GT5 prologue is not GT5.

Though it's WAY better than GT4 Prologue was...

Still, he's got a point in that the guy is betting against a whole bunch of titles that HAVE officially announced dates, a more that have already been pushed back, and some others that will have a strong presence in 2008 (like GT5 Prologue) regardless.

Though it's WAY better than GT4 Prologue was...

Still, he's got a point in that the guy is betting against a whole bunch of titles that HAVE officially announced dates, a more that have already been pushed back, and some others that will have a strong presence in 2008 (like GT5 Prologue) regardless.

Only DMC4 actually has a firm date of those. The rest are soft targets such as 3rd quarter. I'm not saying he's right, just that some of those (many perhaps) could easily slip further.

*&8%4#@!!!!!! :mad: This lessening of the importance of bc by MS and Sony is very disappointing. One of the only reasons I still buy games in my financial situation is because I want a physical copy I can then play for many years to come in future descendants of the console without a clutter of old consoles. Now I'm thinking a couple generations down the road if my old consoles aren't working anymore(I'm looking at you x360) I'm going to be playing the games on a buggy emulator on the PC...

Well, hopefully sony will switch to a software emulator.
Honestly, just about every major console up to but excluding the Dreamcast (and saturn) has emulators that are good enough, and Dreamcast is pretty close.
With full knowledge of the hardware, Sony could probably make a pretty good ps2 emulator.

As for 360 and PS3...I wouldn't be surprised if the compatibility issue is somewhat addressed with the move to higher level languages and OS calls.
It's theoretically possible to use virtualization as well, which could be possible with powerful enough hardware.

Maybe Sony needs to just hire some backwards compatibility experts? Heck, the guys who do it for free do a really good guy, maybe it'd be worth it to hire them.

Only DMC4 actually has a firm date of those. The rest are soft targets such as 3rd quarter. I'm not saying he's right, just that some of those (many perhaps) could easily slip further.
GTA4 is April 29th.
GT5 Prologue is April 17th. (We'll have no idea when GT5 may roll around, but still... A 16-player online mode is nothing to sneeze at. It seems to offer more than many a "full" $60 game at that. ;) )
MGS4 isn't firm, but was already delayed into 2008 and has enough encouraging info to know it won't be delayed into '09. (Perhaps the online portion might get pushed off...) I don't see any "easy slipping."

FFXIII is much more up in the air, but then they're almost always tight-lipped about FF's until they're bang-up ready to commit. Even FFXII which I know was delayed didn't--to my knowledge--announce any dates (even a quarter or a year) until they were ready to go.

Killzone 2 I'm not really expecting until 2009, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Resistance 2 show up by the end of the year. Insomniac is filled with all kinds of wonderful. ^_^

I started my first few years of PS2 gaming as a glass half-full type, found that the results were unsatisfying, changed to half-empty mode, and found that it more accurately models the reality with Sony published games. Now I am more in harmony with the world as a glass half-empty type, you should try it out too! :p

Half of those exclusives were due out last year, so if they don't make it out this year either, some companies are going to feel some financial smack-down! :p

Hey guys, I may have a 60 GB PS3 with full backwards compatibility, but I also have a PS2. It's the real thing with rumble and wired controller!

/sarcasm

Yes, I got that... but I was wondering if Johnny Awesome has some inside sources for his comments. I would be more willing to buy other games along the way if what he said is true.

I'd wager Killzone 2 is one of them. Not sure about any others
Dunno how legit it is but the current release date is set in September.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/26-03-2008-7860.html
According to the latest Sony Computer Entertainment UK release schedule PlayStation 3 gamers will have plenty to keep them occupied this autumn, with three massive titles hitting stores.

Scheduled for release in September are LittleBigPlanet and Killzone 2, with Insomniac Games' launch title sequel, Resistance 2, pencilled in for a November release.

Again with the PC, which is legacy all the way, old games don't run.

With such simple programs as DosBOX and ScummVM you have ability to play a huge amount of games from the Dos era and ahead. PSX emulation or N64 or others, even PS2 emulation is available!

Yes there is a alpha/beta emulator for PS2 games and it is running very good with quite some games on PC!

Of course the question is how many are interested in BC especially if they already owned the previous console and already played those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back