D9P/G94: 9600 GT on 19th of February

30% faster is just enough to stay ahead of R680 (as it has been rumored to be about 15% faster than a 8800 Ultra).
So this would make a "9800 GX2" roughly 15% faster than a HD3870x2/R680.

Depends on the clocks of GPU/Mem and mostly in the segment of price.
Rumoured R680 says 350€ witch is a very agressive price.

So The 9800 series is nothing more than a refresh and a piss poor refresh at that. Very interesting. Makes my 8800GTS 512MB purchase at $300 look better and better each day. Why didn't they just rename the 8800GT and the new GTS the 9000 series from the start? It makes PERFECT sense to have done that and I would imagine these plans were in line at least one month back. Anyway, appears Nvidia is having troubles with a true successor to the G80.

So The 9800 series is nothing more than a refresh and a piss poor refresh at that. Very interesting. Makes my 8800GTS 512MB purchase at $300 look better and better each day. Why didn't they just rename the 8800GT and the new GTS the 9000 series from the start? It makes PERFECT sense to have done that and I would imagine these plans were in line at least one month back. Anyway, appears Nvidia is having troubles with a true successor to the G80.

Actually, i think the "vanilla" 8800 GT 512MB (not the 8800 GTS 512MB) is where the real deal is at.
There's no better price/performance sweet-spot right now, in my opinion.

Actually, i think the 8800 GT 512MB (not the 8800 GTS 512MB) is where the real deal is at.
There's no better price/performance sweet-spot right now, in my opinion.

I purchased my card when you card barely find a GT for under $265, so a GTS at $300 was a damn kick ass deal. So yes, I do feel my particular deal was much better.

I purchased my card when you card barely find a GT for under $265, so a GTS at $300 was a damn kick ass deal. So yes, I do feel my particular deal was much better.

Maybe so, but it still think the added cost with current prices for either model (not the speculative prices of the 8800 GT at launch) doesn't justify the small increase in performance in the real world.
Granted, i have both, but going from a GT 512MB at 210 euro to a GTS 512MB at 320 euro (local prices), i'd still go for the former without second thoughts. ;)

Maybe so, but it still think the added cost with current prices for either model (not the speculative prices of the 8800 GT at launch) doesn't justify the small increase in performance in the real world.
Granted, i have both, but going from a GT 512MB at 210 euro to a GTS 512MB at 320 euro (local prices), i'd still go for the former without second thoughts. ;)

... I didn't even declare the GTS the better buy in my post, only that I was very happy with my purchase of the GTS at $300.

If Geforce 9600 series will not support DX10.1 (SM4.1), then it means it doesn't deserved GF9X series name; and I will not recommended to my customers.

Edit: My choice would be Radeon HD3850 DX10.1 (SM4.1) for my customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Geforce 9600 series will not support DX10.1 (SM4.1), then it means it doesn't deserved GF9X series name; and I will not recommended to my customers.

Edit: My choice would be Radeon HD3850 DX10.1 (SM4.1) for my customers.

So, you'd be recommending a card purely based on a bullet point feature update of Vista SP1 which will likely go unused throughout the cards market life and possibly beyond that, but not a card which may very well be faster and supports the essential of the DX10 API, if not even that very same bullet point feature -no absolute confirmation so far- ?

So, you'd be recommending a card purely based on a bullet point feature update of Vista SP1 which will likely go unused throughout the cards market life and possibly beyond that, but not a card which may very well be faster and supports the essential of the DX10 API, if not even that very same bullet point feature -no absolute confirmation so far- ?

It's better for selling/Advertising point for me. Ooooh DX10.1 :LOL:

meh. I like to remember the fairly feature-laden Radeon 8500 in moments like this. DirectX 8.1 support or better anti-aliasing and filtering were your choices, in considering 8500 vs. GF3/4.

And really it's almost the same today with RV670 and G92. Except G92 is a lot faster than RV670. Of course, prices do reflect that. But I would definitely NOT recommend RV670 to anyone for any reason other than it is cheap. NVIDIA will undoutedly (IMO) dictate where the market goes with respect to DirectX compliance, considering their hugely higher market share and extremely effective TWIMTPB program.

meh. I like to remember the fairly feature-laden Radeon 8500 in moments like this. DirectX 8.1 support or better anti-aliasing and filtering were your choices, in considering 8500 vs. GF3/4.

And really it's almost the same today with RV670 and G92. Except G92 is a lot faster than RV670. Of course, prices do reflect that. But I would definitely NOT recommend RV670 to anyone for any reason other than it is cheap. NVIDIA will undoutedly (IMO) dictate where the market goes with respect to DirectX compliance, considering their hugely higher market share. Just like back in the R200 vs. NV2x days.

I had a chance to get Radeon HD3850-256MB for $143.00 :)

I actually ordered a 3850 too just last week. I went with the 512 MB edition though. It will be $194 after a rebate. I just wanted to mess with a new ATI product, and I really like its power consumption numbers. It's going to replace the 8600 GT in my secondary comp (which was totally adequate in there, but that's beside the point lol).

I actually ordered a 3850 too just last week. I went with the 512 MB edition though. It will be $194 after a rebate. I just wanted to mess with a new ATI product, and I really like its power consumption numbers.

About couple weeks ago their was promotion going instate rebate for VisionTek HD3870-512MBGDDR4 I believe it was $194.00; but I bought mine back in Nov 2007 for $215 :( :)

Edit: You still have a good price; you should be able you crank up GPU CLOCK frequency 725MHz+ :)

NVIDIA will undoutedly (IMO) dictate where the market goes with respect to DirectX compliance, considering their hugely higher market share and extremely effective TWIMTPB program.

Yes, and we've all seen what happened in the past when nV tried to dictate DX compliancy when they had the biggest marketshare. MS 'chose' the underdog...

Yes, and we've all seen what happened in the past when nV tried to dictate DX compliancy when they had the biggest marketshare. MS 'chose' the underdog...

Thats not enough, not microsoft and they API madeing the differences, DEV's madeing it.
MS just made the API, but when noone interested (like now with dx10.1) than not even MS can do anything.
BTW. i not read any interview where someone from MS say how important DX10.1,silence from MS side tell me that not even MS give any credit to DX10.1.

Only thing what can help in the situations like this when ATi finding 2-3 DEV and work very closely with they, but this can be hard because ATi has significant lower market share and with even great support can be hard to made similar program like NV TWIMTBP.

Thats not enough, not microsoft and they API madeing the differences, DEV's madeing it.
MS just made the API, but when noone interested (like now with dx10.1) than not even MS can do anything.
BTW. i not read any interview where someone from MS say how important DX10.1,silence from MS side tell me that not even MS give any credit to DX10.1.

Only thing what can help in the situations like this when ATi finding 2-3 DEV and work very closely with they, but this can be hard because ATi has significant lower market share and with even great support can be hard to made similar program like NV TWIMTBP.

I think CJ is talking about DX9 and the NV3X - R300 situation.

Back