Gamespot fires Gerstmann

Angry mob cancels subscription

Jeff was not my favorite editor at GS (Kasavin ftw!), but thats horrible that he got the boot for voicing his opinion.

This topic has spread around internet forums and blog sites pretty quickly, so it'll be interesting what GameSpot/Cnet will say at some point.

People still believe sponsors don't have an effect on reviews?!

A friend of mine used to write reviews and interviews for a certain Finnish metal music magazine, and he told me how his review score was fixed in favor of a certain Finnish record company, which was (and is) the biggest sponsor for the mag. The album in question was from one of the top selling artists of the company. The funny thing is, they didn't change a word in the review, just upped the score by two points. :D

Nothing new there. Although, getting fired due to a bad review is a bit too much.

Yeah, it's very suprising how people don't consider the amount of influence advertising has on review scores and media coverage in general.

Gerstman was a pretty horrible reviewer IMO anyways, Kasavin was a much better authority to me.

But still, this is pretty pathetic, and Gamespot is sure to lose their spot as the premiere review site...if they haven't already.

They have forgotten that their reputation will be damaged will be as result of this.

People can now know that money is a major force behind review scores.

Also, a lot of people are calling for a banning of all Cnet sites on NeoGAF if the allegations surrounding Jeff's firing are true. I say Beyond3D should do the same, as supporting a network of sites that suppresses journalistic independence would be wrong.

Since when did CNet have a shred of credibility to begin with? Their site is utter trash. The fact that anyone goes there is a disgrace in the first place.

BTW, did anyone track the Eidos site? The vandalization done on their forums is one of the most thorough jobs I've ever seen. They had to take them down entirely. It appears that someone turned a botnet on the site though, because the whole thing is going up and down now (at least for me).

Is there a suggestion that Eidos asked for him to be sacked?

Seems a little unfair to mess with them if all they did is sponsor gamespot to get their crap plastered all over the site.

Is there a suggestion that Eidos asked for him to be sacked?

Seems a little unfair to mess with them if all they did is sponsor gamespot to get their crap plastered all over the site.
http://www.forumopolis.com/showpost.php?p=1869780&postcount=52
This is what I came here to say.

I worked on the K&L ads personally, and I had a front-row seat to the whole debacle.

The ads were originally supposed to point to the GS review page, as they sometimes do. When the review came out, Eidos was understandably upset, and yes -- they did threaten to pull the whole campaign -- but they eventually simmered down and kept the campaign. They had us change the clickthrough URL from the GS review to the official site, but other than that little changed.

The ads went up and the Eidos brouhaha was settled over two weeks ago. Jeff got fired yesterday. Furthermore, I'd heard a few people tell that he'd already been skating on thin ice for "unprofessional reviews and review practices." I don't know much about that, though, so I can't say one way or the other.

My gut tells me that he got canned for larger reasons. Maybe the Eidos debacle was part of it -- I don't know. But I sincerely doubt that Eidos made Gamespot fire him. CNET doesn't kowtow to its advertisers, and I've more than once seen the higher-ups turn away big advertising dollars for the sake of the company's integrity.

I think the whole thing is likely a combination of factors, the biggest being poor timing. Gerst gets canned just two weeks after the K&L incident, so people blame it on that (especially when backed by PA, the gaming journalism equivalent to The Daily Show).

It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out, but I'm definitely gonna keep an open mind about it for now.

Penny Arcade commentary is up

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

The 7-9 scale they toil under is largely the result of an uneasy peace between the business and editorial wings of the venue. No matter what score they give it, high or low, they're reviled equally by the online chorus. Apparently, even when they do it right they're doing it wrong.

After Gerstmann's savage flogging of Kane & Lynch, a game whose marketing investment on Gamespot alone reached into the hundreds of thousands, Eidos (we are told) pulled hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of future advertising from the site.

Make a crap game, spent loads on marketing so people think it's good and you get your money back.

Worked with a big hitting FPS game that's actually quite rubbish.

Soo OT... They really should make another Shadow movie...
They are! Sam Raimi is producing. The movie isn't slated to come out until 2010 but Raimi has been wanting to do a The Shadow movie for a long time(his first attempt at a The Shadow movie ended up as Darkman because he was unable to get the rights for The Shadow) so hopefully he'll stick with it. And hopefully with the lead up to the new movie they'll give the 1994 movie a proper DVD treatment.

Make a crap game, spent loads on marketing so people think it's good and you get your money back.

Worked with a big hitting FPS game that's actually quite rubbish.

If you're referring to Halo, the game sold fairly poorly out of the gates, and it was word of mouth, and personal experiences that sold the game, not marketing.

Sam Kennedy posting on the 1up board

Jeff's been overseeing GameSpot's reviews for over a decade, and publisher complaints (of which there have been many -- I would know, I worked there years ago) never affected policy.

October 27th, the guy who launched such fine publications as Stuff and Maxim takes over GameSpot.

You figure it out.

Back