PS3 Strategy/Confidence Retrospective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another one for my collection of quotes:

From the Charlie Oscar Delta official CoD4 site:

Q (X502XDOWNEY): Why is the blood in the single player so much better(especially the headshots) than in multiplayer? I know that none of you know the answer and the IW guys will probably never read this but I thought I would still try.

A (IW_STONEPILOT): Disc space,my friend. As much you'd like to think that we can put infinite features in a game we do only have so much space on a disc. so we have to decide what adds more to the fun factor and what is minimal. Plus there's enough blood already.

Q (Stealthfinger): just out of curiosity (if you check this again) how much disc space where you left with after everythings in?

I don't know. i guess i could check. At some point i know we ran out. We had to scale back on some stuff. What you guys have in your hands is all the best stuff that we felt made a good game. Made with love.....specially for you.

source: http://www.charlieoscardelta.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=69545&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (registration required)

And another one, from the discussion on why PGR4 doesn't have all the PGR3 games on the disc:
http://xnagamefest.com/presentations.htm

Effective Game Disc Usage: Compression & Caching

There are some neat bits in there about data compression/decompression, nothing too too specific, but interesting.

Link suggests that maximum available space on disc for developers is 6.8GiB, PGR4 seems to be 6.6GiB ripped.

source: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1088236&postcount=211

10% more HD-DVD players should help push the 2:1 ratio towards 1:1 ?

There aren't a million HD DVD players in the world IMHO, it'd sell far more movies if that'd be the case. But I think that the number of people who own an HD DVD player and who own a BR player or a PS3 for BR movies has to be pretty close now.

Disc space,my friend. As much you'd like to think that we can put infinite features in a game we do only have so much space on a disc. so we have to decide what adds more to the fun factor and what is minimal. Plus there's enough blood already.

I'm not sure I understand why disc space is a factor when they could reuse data from the SP campaign.

:?:

5 million people bought it to sit under the TV looking elegant?

I wasn't saying that... Although I think that most people buy the PS3 for its future potential, what they're really waiting for are the big 1st party franchises. However the system has more than enough good games by now, and it doesn't matter for these people that most of these games are multiplatform.
Also, the relatively low attach ratio seems to support this. People are sitting on their money waiting for their favorite games to arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
A mere fraction of the PS3 userbase needs to buy Blu-rays in order for it to maintain its 2:1 lead.

I'd like to see some data about that. Last I've heard, the total amount of movies sold was pretty close to even.

I thought it was 7.2GB useable space, wow it doesnt leave much does it? Wasnt San Andreas 4.2GB?

From the presentation:

"Total usable space is 6.8 binary GB or 7,290,023,936 bytes"

Also interesting: "Layer switch time of 75 ms (0.5 – 1 MB)"

Nice tip also: "Last but not least: Use hard drive caching"

Lots of attention to HDD caching. Some irony there, however , they do have some automatic support for turning that on, it seems, to make supporting consoles that have HD vs consoles that don't. Also, seems like 2GB is reserved as a cache partition on the 360's HDD. So that's part of where that space is going (people have been wondering)

"If you need to consider multiple discs, talk to your Account Manager"

Also, from reading the presentation, I think it's clear that this generation doesn't look like it will offer that much more from compression than last gen.

However, it's a good presentation nevertheless.

I no longer have the link to my latest info but it's only a few months old at most. I might try to dig it up...

Check the Nielson data. I think it was something like 64% vs 36% LTD (close to 2:1).

I think thats the current rate but overall it like a total of 3 million bluray discs versus 2 million HD DVD discs.

However, I just read Toshiba just sold 90,000 HD-DVD players over the weekend. Walmart and BestBuy are in a pricing war both selling HD-A2 under a $100.00 with BestBuy fulfilling back orders with the HD-A3 model at no additional charge.

Yeah, I've been talking about LTD sales. And Transformers has just sold more than a hundred thousand copies alone since that survey. It is a major exclusive for HDDVD, one of the titles that really benefits from HD resolution.

I think thats the current rate but overall it like a total of 3 million bluray discs versus 2 million HD DVD discs.

However, I just read Toshiba just sold 90,000 HD-DVD players over the weekend. Walmart and BestBuy are in a pricing war both selling HD-A2 under a $100.00 with BestBuy fulfilling back orders with the HD-A3 model at no additional charge.

The figure I mentioned should be since launch (Total sales). The weekly data usually maintains similar breakdown, but these recent weeks are hard to say. I remember some weeks are close to 50/50, some 70/30 (in favor of Blu-ray). However, I am not tracking it anymore.

According to some studies, 10-20% of PS3 owners are active Blu-ray users. 40% (or was it 60% ?) don't know about Blu-ray. So Sony can do more to promote it since the players are already in their homes.

The figure I mentioned should be since launch (Total sales). The weekly data usually maintains similar breakdown, but these recent weeks are hard to say. I remember some weeks are close to 50/50, some 70/30 (in favor of Blu-ray). However, I am not tracking it anymore.

According to some studies, 10-20% of PS3 owners are active Blu-ray users. 40% (or was it 60% ?) doesn't know about Blu-ray. So Sony can do more to promote it since the players are already in their homes.

Ive only seen that figure (2 to 1) when referring to the first nine months of 2007. The 3 mil to 2 mil refer to total sales.

http://www.dailytech.com/The+First+9+Months+Bluray+Outsells+HD+DVD/article9390.htm

Considering that Transfomers has probably sold about as many DVDs on its own as the all time BR and HD DVD sales combined, I'd say that it's still far too early to make any conclusions....

I was just being nice. Really, if the presentation does anything it is show how incredibly important the HDD is. But I guess that with the Core unit, all MS now needs is an innovative controller to still get some use out of it. ;)

(just teasing)

Considering that Transfomers has probably sold about as many DVDs on its own as the all time BR and HD DVD sales combined, I'd say that it's still far too early to make any conclusions....

Transformers sold ~8.3 million dvd's in its first week (compared to 190,000 HD DVD or a bit over 2%). HD movies are still barely a blip on the market.

Use Nielson Videoscan. This is a snapshot:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/2...igh-def-market-share-for-week-ending-october/

My number seems to be YTD instead of LTD (Remember HD-DVD started a few months earlier, and Blu-ray was fumbling initially).
The above weekly data is the Transformer launch week I think. Now the top may be Ratatouille (but I am too busy to track these things now).

So YTD is 2 to 1 with LTD being about 3 to 2 and current being almost 1:1.

Is it true Nielsen doesn't cover Walmart? Seems odd since Walmart isn't insignificant. I heard on the radio that while Britney Spears was herald as #1 with 300,000 copies sold last week, Walmart reported that the new Eagles album sold close to 800,000 copies last week and is sold only through Walmart and associated stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back