beyond noob
Veteran
Just got back from Canada Computers. Ordered the following:

opteron 175
asus a8n-e
bfg 7800gtx
ocz 1gb kit cas2
acer f20 lcd widescreen 20"

I guess this will be good enough for Stalker, UT3 et al, right? To be ready in one week. Haven't told my wife yet, don't know what will be her reaction.

This is quite an upgrade from my brave xp2600, a7n8x dlx and 9800pro, which I left behind in Brazil.

Most lcd screens are too slow for rapid first person shooters I'm afraid. But you probably have a crt at home, right ? :)

maaoouud said:
Most lcd screens are too slow for rapid first person shooters I'm afraid. But you probably have a crt at home, right ? :)

8ms........ will do I guess...

mito said:
Haven't told my wife yet, don't know what will be her reaction.
Yes you do, and I hate that feeling of "waiting for the other shoe to drop"!

Been there, done that; I try and avoid getting myself into that spot anymore.

The rig looks great, I hope your wife is gentle.

digitalwanderer said:
Yes you do, and I hate that feeling of "waiting for the other shoe to drop"!

Been there, done that; I try and avoid getting myself into that spot anymore.

The rig looks great, I hope your wife is gentle.

I'm gonna have to work this one around...

Have a plan?

mito said:
I'm gonna have to work this one around...
If you have a good method lemme know...
I have an LCD purchase on the way and I have no stategy planned yet.

actually, my wife is back in brazil...
so she'll know only when she gets here, probably in a few months...
it'll me my little surprise to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Opty 175 was supposed to arrive today, will be late and be here only next tuesday.

I'm afraid AMD won't supply it at all.

Anyway, I decided to go for a sapphire x1800xt 512mb instead of the 7800gtx.

I hope I made the right choice.

Also got a Creative x-fi....

Hopefully will have things ready next week.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the X-fi, after my brief sojourn with my system's onboard sound I have a newfound respect for my Audigy2 and a much better appreciation of why audiophiles are audiophiles. ;)

The X1800XT instead of the 7800GTX I agree with, although I'm a tad curious to hear your reasons...

digitalwanderer said:
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the X-fi, after my brief sojourn with my system's onboard sound I have a newfound respect for my Audigy2 and a much better appreciation of why audiophiles are audiophiles. ;)

FWIW, liking mine well enuf so far, tho I haven't done much with the "advanced" features it offers. Or even stuff like ripping audio. Which reminds me that I should stop by EB and say so too, since y'all talked me out of giving onboard a go this time.

But it went in easy, and didn't f'up my machine, which I'm always grateful with where a new Creative product is involved. :LOL:

geo said:
FWIW, liking mine well enuf so far, tho I haven't done much with the "advanced" features it offers. Or even stuff like ripping audio. Which reminds me that I should stop by EB and say so too, since y'all talked me out of giving onboard a go this time.
You should be getting that advise ANYWHERE you go asking that question! :LOL:

What soundcard did you have before and how does the new one compare?
(Just in sound quality, I don't use the advanced features either....well, 'cept the gaming stuff. ;) )

I can't even begin to tell you what a night/day difference it was for me going from my A2 to onboard sound, it was just awful! I never considered myself all that picky about sound quality, but I reckon I've just gotten spoiled...again. :rolleyes:

digitalwanderer said:
You should be getting that advise ANYWHERE you go asking that question! :LOL:

Mebbee. But the fact is I asked at EB, and EB'ers took the time to chime in. So Props must be paid. ;)
digitalwanderer said:
What soundcard did you have before and how does the new one compare?
(Just in sound quality, I don't use the advanced features either....well, 'cept the gaming stuff. ;) )

SB Live! 5.1 (tho only a 2.1 speaker system). Sounds great to me, cobber. . .tho I wouldn't claim to be an audiophile. Just some gaming, a little video, and the FM radio in my AIW.

Altcon said:
If you have a good method lemme know...
I have an LCD purchase on the way and I have no stategy planned yet.

Uhm, where has "shut up and leave me alone 'cause I'M THE MAN!" gone? ;)

EDIT: as for audio, do the same thing I did: get yourself some Envy24 based card for everything but games and an Audigy for games only and you're all set.

digitalwanderer said:

The X1800XT instead of the 7800GTX I agree with, although I'm a tad curious to hear your reasons...

I chose the X-Fi because it's a new architecture, the price was reasonable and also I knew I'd miss sound quality because my previous audio device was a Sound Storm (nForce2). Also bought a logitech z-5500. Eager to test them and pump up the volume.

As for the x1800xt, well the price difference was small, it's 512mb, better iq at high resolutions and supposedly has newer technology.

The Opty 175 arrived yesterday!!!
I just added a Zalman CNPS9500 cooler...

This system is gonna rock.

Back