Yahoo Ask Jeeves Google Bing! *Fight*

Again my issue is with your comments on Bing not Windows 10.

Edge's use of Bing by default meant the top results of any searches were damned paid-for ads! Why would anyone choose Bing as their search engine of choice when it skews results in favour of monetisation?

Google doesn't put sponsored ads at the top. It gives an attempt at an answer in a Snippet, followed by the most sensible, expected results.

I don't doubt for a second that all your Windows 10 problems are real. That was not what was being disputed.

For me(and I believe most others as well) Bing's results are probably are not as relevant as those on Google. But most of the time they are adequate enough to look past them in order to take advantage of its best feature: Microsoft/Bing Rewards. There are a lot of times where I feel Bing doesn't cut the mustard & I will use Google instead. In fact when I have obtained all my Reward points for the day I will use Google only. Anyway, none of this is affected by or have anything to do with ads in the results. Had you not brought that up I would have never even posted here.

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
But the Bing experience I was commenting on was that I had. If I had been suggesting to people that they shouldn't use Bing because its results are no good based on years' old experience, you'd have a point. However, I'm not, even clarifying that my experience with search results (beyond these adverts) was out of date. "Personally I try to make it a habit to only post on topics which I have personal experience with." That's what I was posting, my experiences.

My post was in the Windows 10 thread, where I reported on my experience using Windows 10 that day. That experience may not be representative, but it was real and what I was referring to - I'm not making shit up.

My reaction was also tainted by previous negative experiences with Win 10, for sure. And I am moderately emotional about it because a computer is my day-to-day existence, along with being the family tech guy who has to fix everyone else's computer problems, and I need it to be a good experience. To date my OSes have only ever been the good ones - AmigaDOS/Workbench, Windows 95 (nothing fancy and okay for the time), Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7. The latest Windows, and Microsoft's current design and implementation choices, keep being annoying. As a consumer I can 1) not buy/use their products, and 2) grumble on the internet in the hopes they'll listen and change to produce a product that better suits me. There aren't many real alternatives to an OS.

What does bother me is that people take such complaints as prejudice, as if I'm incapable of appreciating a good product if it wears a certain badge. That in turn prejudices the interpretation of the criticism. The moment MS make an awesome, swanky, capable, trouble-free OS, I'll be posting how awesome my experience is. However, I can only post on what I'm actually experiencing.
why don't you turn back to Windows 7 64bits? It is probably the best Windows OS yet, you have all the familiarity and nothing goes wrong. Only problem is that it is going to be deprecated "soon".

Windows 95 was so bad, blue screens out of nowhere and so on, but it was my first OS on my first computer and as you say it was fine at the time. In fact I miss its simplicity and it flies nowadays. It's no strange that it became a landmark in the history of OSes and it sold computers like hotcakes.

W95 is like my favourite Windows OS ever.

Windows 7 gets you that precious control which you don't get with Windows 10 (like say.., being able to control updates). If you care about DirectX 12 you are stuck with Windows 10 though. If you stick with it there is a future update in the works that looks promising, but you never know.

Edit: Windows 10 has better security though

Again my issue is with your comments on Bing not Windows 10.

I don't doubt for a second that all your Windows 10 problems a re real. That was not what was being disputed.

For me(and I believe most others as well) Bing's results are probably are not as relevant as those on Google. But most of the time they are adequate enough to look past them in order to take advantage of its best feature: Microsoft/Bing Rewards. There are a lot of times where I feel Bing doesn't cut the mustard & I will use Google instead. In fact when I have obtained all my Reward points for the day I will use Google only. Anyway, none of this is affected by or have anything to do with ads in the results. Had you not brought that up I would have never even posted here.

Tommy McClain
From my experience with Windows 10 his problems are real, yes. He is sensible to those details that aren't that important to me, but even I can say that my infinite patience with Windows 10 wears out a bit sometimes. The OS is more complex and it shows. However it has its good things like keeping your interface as you originally had it if you reformat or whatever, the cloud services if you have a Lumia, a PC and a console work very well. You create a PDF document and once uploaded you can see it on all your devices. It makes your life easier like creating something at home and in class you just pass the PDF document from your phone to the PC or just open it on Onedrive using the PC when they allow you to use the internet --which is rare.

Security updates are forced on you and many people dont like that. But it is better for security.. Windows 10 runs better on small devices as it is being designed to run on tablets and the like so it can run with little resources if it has to --despite this being deceiving because Windows 7 needs little memory too. I got W10 working at class last year on a computer from 2002, though it had 2GB of memory total but the rest of the components were from that era.

Ideally, Shifty could create a new partition and have both OSes installed, W7 and W10

But the Bing experience I was commenting on was that I had. If I had been suggesting to people that they shouldn't use Bing because its results are no good based on years' old experience, you'd have a point. However, I'm not, even clarifying that my experience with search results (beyond these adverts) was out of date. "Personally I try to make it a habit to only post on topics which I have personal experience with." That's what I was posting, my experiences.

Fair enough if that's the case. That's not how interpreted your initial comments though. Looks we both learned something: sometimes discussions in written form really suck. LOL

Tommy McClain

why don't you turn back to Windows 7 64bits?
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit! Windows 10 is on an SSD in this PC, installed when it was a a free update, but not being used. I have Win 10 on my SP4 and this latest experience was on my sister's laptop. Win 10 is okay on the SP4 once you turn off annoyances, and it'll let me know when it's finally good enough to replace Win 7, which won't last forever. The core of Win 10 is looking to be incredibly solid, which makes all the usability choices double frustrating.

Ideally, Shifty could create a new partition and have both OSes installed, W7 and W10
The original intention was to run a windows 7 VM in Windows 10. I had an issue at the time, I think routing some network or devices or somesuch, that meant I shelved that idea 'for the time being', and now it's very much on the back burner with more pressing issues on my time! VMs strike me as the future because they are that much safer, but maybe Win 10 is safe enough?

Back