Xpod, will it take off or sink???

Hopefully it will not be called XPod (or worse, xPod) though, that would just reinforce the idea of MS as the ultimate opportunist, idea-stealer and ripoff artist. Might get them sued too...

Weird that MS truly seems unable to come up with original ideas. Oh, lookie. Teh intarweb gets browseable with Netscape, let's rip that off! Wowie, winamp is a really cool program, let's do something similar but inferior and push it on everybody else! Hmm, Sony's making lots of money selling consoles. We should try that too! Cool, see all those people with portable music players....

*sighs*

Come to think of it, have microsoft ever made any original inventions, or been the first with a new technology to the market?

Evil_Cloud said:
No one is thinking about PSP external hard disk/MP3 player/Game machine? ;)
PSP has no hard disk. Though I've never thought of it before, that the disc in PSP could be used for PS3 game saving (if it is recordable in PSP).

Would such an external HD offer fast enough transfer speeds for streaming purposes in games, or would it be used just for storing levels, patches, models etc... ?

rabidrabbit said:
Though I've never thought of it before, that the disc in PSP could be used for PS3 game saving (if it is recordable in PSP).

Unfortunately it is not; for reasons of piracy concerns I'm sure.

Would such an external HD offer fast enough transfer speeds for streaming purposes in games

Depends on HOW small it is. Today's laptop drives are faster than the POS drive used in the xbox. The REALLY small harddrives aren't very fast though.

Not that this really matters; even a harddrive from the late 90s is lots faster than an optical drive, particulary where access time is concerned.

Hopefully it will not be called XPod (or worse, xPod) though, that would just reinforce the idea of MS as the ultimate opportunist, idea-stealer and ripoff artist. Might get them sued too...
xPod <- Too similar to iPod.
Xpod <- Synergy with Xbox(TM). I think MS will go in this direction...

Regarding the Xbox 2 hard drive, I was snowboarding in Whistler, B.C. from February 19 - 26, 2004. We were in a bar called the Amsterdam Cafe in the village one night and J. Allard, the head of Microsoft’s Xbox division was in the bar with some friends. I recognized him from a recent Business 2.0 article and we started talking. (He bought my friends and I a round of drinks he called “Hey Zeusesâ€￾ - they were Red Bull and tequila and they were nasty.) Anyway, we were talking about the Xbox 2 and he said their current plan was not to include a hard drive in the Xbox 2 itself, but to offer a portable hard drive as an accessory you could buy separately. Here’s the kicker: He said what they were trying to do was to incorporate MP3 (and WMA, obviously) functionality into the portable hard drive and turn the thing into an iPod killer. Basically, the idea was to come up with an MP3 player that was as good or better than the iPod that would also serve as the hard drive for the Xbox 2. And he said they planned to sell them as a loss leader at $100 each.

Ok with Mfa , that sounds like BS :D

Well, I'm not sure how much of a dent their device would make in the iPod-driven community, nor how much desire people have for the smaller portable movie devices (which affects things like the PSP as well--not so much the DS, as I doubt it cares at all to pretend it's in that segment, and will just be offering video-play as a neat feature for the gamers who pick it up), but it would certainly be good for them to have an Xdrive that's not just a dedicated HD for the Xbox2. Brings a whole other device into play, plus portability, and would let them design the Xbox2 around the necessity of a HD bay. (At least, if they make that the ONLY option.)

It'll probably sell more AS a Xbox2 hard drive if that's the only option, though... Not sure it would have the synergy to attract customers of each type of device to each other (not to any major degree), but at least it would be a cool alternative. :)

Hahaha, that link was teh funney! :LOL:

(Btw, the buttons on that XPOD look like jelly beans or something filed down flat and glued to the case... Also, it lacks a battery, hehe, but knowing MS's graceful design tradition I guess that comes in the form of a bible-sized external, cord-connected unit.)

:LOL:

http://www.mysimon.com/4523-6499-20789364.html?tag=gifs

20789364-2-300-overview-1.gif

iVDR-Secure-microM.jpg

No need to go with an expensive proprietary drive, just adapt the standard iDVR drive and let consumers buy them off the shelf...

I don´t know what is the saddest.. the guy that "made" the XPOD thingy VNZ linked to or the people that actually find XPOD amusing... ;)

Back