X-43A flies at almost Mach 10

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Link

World News > Washington, Nov 17 : NASA's hypersonic experimental scramjet X-43A has broken the aircraft speed record by clocking 7000 miles per hour which is nearly 10 times the speed of sound.

Can human body tolerate such high speeds?

It's probably not a good idea to expose under high Mach winds. However, since the passengers are supposed to sit inside the vehicle, I don't see where the problem is. Actually many astronaughts ride at higher speed, I think.

pcchen said:
It's probably not a good idea to expose under high Mach winds. However, since the passengers are supposed to sit inside the vehicle, I don't see where the problem is. Actually many astronaughts ride at higher speed, I think.

But then passangers would have to be trained, they will have to wear spc. designed suits which wouldn't be very comfortable.

BTW, such planes should be transparent so that we could actually feel the speed.... ;)

Deepak said:
But then passangers would have to be trained, they will have to wear spc. designed suits which wouldn't be very comfortable.

No they wouldn't, what are you talking about? :p High speed isn't the same as high acceleration you know... Check out what speed this planet is moving at to travel an entire revolution around the sun on its orbit, I think you'll find it's somewhat higher than mach 10! :LOL:

Even astronauts don't experience more than about 3Gs during launch, and an aircraft wouldn't subject its passengers to such relatively mild violence...

Deepak said:
Can human body tolerate such high speeds?

The human body (or anything else) can handle any speeds, as long as they're constant. The problem is trying to get to those speeds with an acceptable accelleration. Too much accelleration and you get mash human for dinner.

Deepak said:

BTW, such planes should be transparent so that we could actually feel the speed.... ;)

I believe that those special suits are for protecting from high Gs (acceleration/deceleration). If the acceleration is reasonable, it should be OK.

About transparent plane to "feel the speed"... well, it may have transparent windows. At such high attitude, it would be hardly any "speed" to feel, but the view will still be spectacular, IMO. :)

The higher your altitude the slower you appear to be moving when compared to surface objects... its a distance thing.

pcchen said:
I believe that those special suits are for protecting from high Gs (acceleration/deceleration). If the acceleration is reasonable, it should be OK.

Aren't these suits for protection from Radiation?

Who remembers that 80's series, with the guy with the black suit thing with blue lines, that came out of a computer and "made" the car (or the helicopter) with the cursor thing....... and the car used to turn at 90 degrees angles... What was the name of the series...?

The X-43A's scramjet engine ignited and fired at an altitude of 1,11,000 feet for about 10 seconds to achieve speeds of Mach 9.8 which NASA said amounted to 7,000 mph, according to preliminary calculations.

That's a lot of Gs.

Yeah thats pretty crazy acceleration if it went from 0 mph to 7000 mph in 10secs :p acceleration would = 312.8 m/s squared. Which is crazy for sure. Not sure what 1G refers to but if it refers to 9.8 m/s2 which is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the earth 312.8/9.8 would be 31.9Gs??? Sounds waaaay too high.

MPI said:
It didn't start from 0mph, it was on the tip of a fricken Pegasus rocket!
So...o , not quite ready for commercial passenger flights then? :p

Back