would you leave your partner/wife/husband if...

would you leave your partner/wife/husband...

• Yes I would even if the relationship was going quite smooth and we'd kids and all

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Yes this is taboo I'd lose all interest in my romantic partner if this turned out to be so...

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No. My relationship is more important than this little fact and I'd continue with it.

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • NO. Incest does not matter to me, I'm quite open when it comes to sexuality.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
hey69 said:
you bonked her until now, why not continueing bonking her/.him/etc
Well, but it would still be irresponsible to have children (or more children, as the case may be). I've seen what incest can do to animals. It's not pretty.

I chose the second option. Wrong things are wrong, no matter how you look at it. And the child would probably be an idiot anyway.

well, I didn't vote, there's no "sitting on the fence whisteling and making a stupid face" response....
Too complicated, I don't think I can give a geniune answer without actually being in that situation - No global "always right" for me.

Happiness

zidane1strife said:
you found out he/she was actually your lost brother/sister or half brother/sister you never knew you had?

Say due to, as a result of, an illicit affair, baby switching at the hospital, private sperm/egg donations carried before/during/after marriage by one/both your parents without telling anyone?

It is very possible you'll end up in a romantic relationship due to intense attraction should you meet with family without knowing you're related as a result of genetic sexual attraction

PS
This post was inspired by a discussion started by someone else at another board(you may ask if you desire to know the board.)

This is an unfortunate event but many worse events can happen. I feel that life can end for anyone anytime so biggest failure in life is to allow unhappiness in life, so if happiness is found then it is only foolish to throw away this greatest fortune.

Sage said:
:oops:

digi are you and your wife actually related?

anyhow, aside from that- I always wanted a sister. and this is not be being my "ooh ooh let me say something to freak people out and get attention" self. I really did long to have a sister. Partly because I imagined I would be allowed to explore sexuality with her but also just to have someone to bond with, I suppose even partly to somewhat fill in the void of female companionship (non-sexual) left by my mother. I think that if I did have a sister, particularly at an early age, I wouldn't be nearly as screwy as I am now when it comes to the opposite gender.

some anonymous son of a bitch actually left me neg rep for that. i was finally green. whoever you are i hope you rot in hell even though i don't believe in it.:devilish:

Sage said:
some anonymous son of a bitch actually left me neg rep for that. i was finally green. whoever you are i hope you rot in hell even though i don't believe in it.:devilish:
There's only two people on this board who could hit you with that much negative rep at one go, and it wasn't LB.

Don't insult my wife, I don't like you to begin with.

digitalwanderer said:
There's only two people on this board who could hit you with that much negative rep at one go, and it wasn't LB.

Don't insult my wife, I don't like you to begin with.

okay I don't know what you mean by there are only two people that could hit me with that much neg rep at once.

and where the heck did I insult your wife?

and what do you have against me anyhow?

ihamoitc2005 said:
This is an unfortunate event but many worse events can happen. I feel that life can end for anyone anytime so biggest failure in life is to allow unhappiness in life, so if happiness is found then it is only foolish to throw away this greatest fortune.
Very true.
The thought of breaking up with someone because of her/his genes is just weird. Actually, it's disgusting. If you go further and applied the same rules to everyone, then some people wouldn't deserve a partner because of an increased likeliness of passing on genetic defects?

What's the current scientific opinion on genetic effects from incest, anyway?

Xmas said:
What's the current scientific opinion on genetic effects from incest, anyway?
Well, I don't think there's been any doubt that incest is bad (in terms of genetics) pretty much since the advent of genetics. One very obvious problem is that there are many genetic disorders that are in recessive genes, such as anemia (a common affliction in royal families, where there was a lot of marrying cousins) and color blindness.

Whenever I think of this topic, I think about a cat we had. The cat in question was from a group of people that were breeding maine coon cats for show. They gave us the cat so that we could breed her with our maine coon that was purchased in Maine (to get some fresh stock in the gene pool). There was simply too much inbreeding in these peoples' cats.

This cat, Sophie, was a wreck. She was allergic to fleas, and as such would not infrequently lose some of her fur and have many nasty scabs in various locations on her body. She was also rather unintelligent. The poor thing once became frightened outside, and tried to run in the house. The sliding-glass door was closed, she collided with it, and rolled back down the steps that lead up to the door. She then got up and tried again, with the same result. We were quick enough to have the door open for her third attempt.

Her kittens, however, were great. All five very healthy.

Chalnoth said:
Well, I don't think there's been any doubt that incest is bad (in terms of genetics) pretty much since the advent of genetics. One very obvious problem is that there are many genetic disorders that are in recessive genes, such as anemia (a common affliction in royal families, where there was a lot of marrying cousins) and color blindness.
But how "bad" is it really? What are the odds of genetic defects? How likely is it for an unrelated couple?

btw, I recently read a short article about color blindness which stated that certain forms of color blindness actually just represent a spectral shift in perception. I.e. these people can discern colors that "normal" people can't, and vice versa. Don't know if that applies here, though.

muscular dystrohpy (or however it's spelled) can often be caused by inbreeding. there was a kid that I went to school with who had it because his parents were 2nd cousins or something and he was a really cool kid but by like the first or second grade he was in a motorized wheelchair. by 5th grade he could barely move at all. really sad.

Xmas said:
But how "bad" is it really? What are the odds of genetic defects? How likely is it for an unrelated couple?
That I don't really know, nor do I really know how one would go about discovering it. The truth is, however, it very likely is going to be very specific to the particular situation. That is to say, there's a tremendous amount of variation within the human genome, and if you take a specific family that has been inbred, they're going to represent only a very small sample of the human genome.

As such, I suspect that the probabilities of defects involved are going to vary so wildly from case to case that it probably wouldn't be a very useful metric.

hopefully soon we will be able to take samples from two people and be able to tell if their children would be at risk of inheriting major abnormalities that don't appear in the parents. however, that is screwing with evolution so perhaps it would be a bad thing in the very long run.

Sage said:
hopefully soon we will be able to take samples from two people and be able to tell if their children would be at risk of inheriting major abnormalities that don't appear in the parents. however, that is screwing with evolution so perhaps it would be a bad thing in the very long run.
Well, in the long run, I think we're going to have to screw with evolution. That is to say, the evolution of human society has ground genetic evolution to a near standstill. We can get around so many problems that people face these days that there is very little selection going on. So, in the long run, the human genome is just going to expand randomly. With no selection process, the genome is going to progressively degrade (the assumption here is that there are many, many more bad possibilities than there are good possiblities). So we are going to need to step in at some point and take charge.

And I'd rather it not be done by the systematic elimination of those with undesirable traits. Much better to tamper with conception (ala Gattaca). Of course, you have to be extremely careful with this sort of thing, as you want to promote genetic diversity above and beyond the wellbeing of the person being conceived. Because without genetic diversity, the entire human race could be wiped out by the wrong disease.

Chalnoth said:
Well, in the long run, I think we're going to have to screw with evolution. That is to say, the evolution of human society has ground genetic evolution to a near standstill. We can get around so many problems that people face these days that there is very little selection going on. So, in the long run, the human genome is just going to expand randomly. With no selection process, the genome is going to progressively degrade (the assumption here is that there are many, many more bad possibilities than there are good possiblities). So we are going to need to step in at some point and take charge.

And I'd rather it not be done by the systematic elimination of those with undesirable traits. Much better to tamper with conception (ala Gattaca). Of course, you have to be extremely careful with this sort of thing, as you want to promote genetic diversity above and beyond the wellbeing of the person being conceived. Because without genetic diversity, the entire human race could be wiped out by the wrong disease.

I say we should go beyond, and engineer a perfect immune system. All you've to do is connect an internal molecular tape sequencer to some advanced information processing machinery and a molecular tape synthesizer. IT will analyze whatever is causing the disease and engineer a solution(if one's not already available and stored in the memory banks from mankind's knowledge base) eliminating it virtually instantly.

Evolution's mindless adaptive run seems to've reached an apparent dead end and it seems to be carrying too much legacy/baggage to reach the peak, the zenith, the creation of the ultimate lifeform. Let's hope the exponentially faster, than genetic based, memetic evolution can reshape the physical and trascend the limitations that seem to've been reached. The mind begs for dominion over the physical, it must trascend so as to govern the physical, it's what should be.

BTW,getting back on topic here's some more data about what I said

The latest studies indicate that what people really, really want is a mate that looks like their parents. Women are after a man who is like their father and men want to be able to see their own mother in the woman of their dreams.

At the University of St Andrews in Scotland, cognitive psychologist David Perrett studies what makes faces attractive. He has developed a computerised morphing system that can endlessly adjust faces to suit his needs.

Students in his experiments are left to decide which face they fancy the most. Perrett has taken images of students' own faces and morphed them into the opposite sex. Of all the faces on offer, this seems to be the face that subject will always prefer. They can't recognize it as their own, they just know they like it.

Perrett suggests that we find our own faces attractive because they remind us of the faces we looked at constantly in our early childhood years - Mum and Dad. Even the pheromone studies are now showing a preference for our parents' characteristics.

BBC link

I've always wanted to see what a female clone of myself would look like I should look into that s/w.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back