Would I be getting my bang for the buck? (Dell PC Xps Gen5)

CompUSA had an HP desktop with a Athlon64-3200+ on sale last night for $159 after rebates.

I had absolutely no need for one, but I could feel the siren song anyways...

I keep seeing the 820 being flung around, just so you guys know, the 820 does not support speedstep whereas the 830 and 840 do. So it will draw more power when not in use as opposed to the other two.

I know, that would've been perfect for him, as it had no AGP or PCIe slot--so no $$$ video card to waste money on. Shoulda picked one up myself, as I had slightly above no need for one.

ANova, I didn't realize P4s used Speedstep. If the difference is close to the mere 16W separating the 820 from 630 (as shown in the AT link I included), then I wouldn't sweat it. But if power is important, there's really no reasonable desktop option but a 90nm A64 (yeah, there's the P-M, but they're pricey).

Alright using your link and my own coupon i got this:

Dell Dimension 9100 Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2DIMMs
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
Monitors FREE UPGRADE! 17 inch E173FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Cards 128MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300 SE
Hard Drives 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢
Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive Included
Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only
Security Software No Security Subscription
Digital Music Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic
Digital Photography Photo Albumâ„¢ SE Basic
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options No Extended Service, Support or Ltd Warranty
Installation Services No Installation
Internet Access Service 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Financial Software (Preinstalled) No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell 720 Color Printer Qty 1
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Unit Price $0.00
Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Show Details
Dell Color Printer 720 Free Dell Color Printer 720
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd. Warranty- Advance Exchange

TOTAL:$799.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the notable difference with the previous setup i posted is the Ram, it's down to 512MB. As the $130 for 1gb Ram doesn't seem feasible i guess.. I would probably just match up my ram stick to one on newegg and buy one from there at a cheaper cost. I did this with my current dell, well.. i didn't but a friend did heh.

But um.. my question is, is it cheaper to buy it off of newegg? The ram stick would have to be identical to the Dell one and cost under $130. Can anyone find one?

also - i would like a 64bit technology chip, since i assume those are the best kind nowadays - is the cpu a 64 bit one?

The Dell system comes with dual-channel memory, which means you install the sticks in pairs. No need to match EXACTLY.

And if you go with the 9100 or any other Dell - make sure you pony up the tiny bit of extra cash for the USB multimedia keyboard instead of the regular.

This is because regular lacks a wrist support, and it's not really low-profile either so your hands can get tired from typing lots on it.

That's a much more reasonable price for your needs, IMO. I'd consider a nicer screen, though, as I think the screen is the most important part of a PC. SlickDeals lists a similar $850 setup with a 20" widescreen LCD with DVI and component inputs but with minimal hard and optical drives. Honestly, you could probably buy a DVD+/-RW drive and a 160+GB HD cheaper online or locally (and the HD will have a longer warranty, especially a Seagate), but you may as well include it in the system build if you don't want to muck around inside your PC (simple as it is, tho, and that may save you some time and money down the road if something else breaks, or if you want to add something later).

I don't know how good the E173 is as a monitor. LCDs can certainly be better than CRTs for text and such, but make sure the one you're getting has good viewing angles. You don't want text and colors to wash out if you shift your position slightly. Look for a review of the E173, or consider putting some money toward a Dell 1905, 2001, or 2005, all of which have been pretty well reviewed. They may end up being cheaper if you buy them separately, though, during one of Dell's crazy sales.

Yeah, you don't need to buy the exact same memory stick with the exact same memory chips on it, just another 533MHz DDR2 stick (or, rather, a pair of them). If the motherboard has four RAM slots, you can buy a pair of 256MB sticks; otherwise, you'd buy a pair of 512MB sticks and sell or give away the pair of 256MB sticks that came with it. If you're worried about the exact memory timings, search them out on Dell's site, or maybe use Crucial.com's or Kingston.com's online configurators to see what you should be looking for. Then you can go about finding the best deal online.

I think the Pentium 6-series has 64-bit (EMT64) and the no-execute bit (I forgot Intel's acronym), but you can check Intel's website or an Anandtech or TechReport (.com) review to be sure.

Edit: If I were you, I'd pay the extra $20 (IIRC) to go from the dual DVD + CD drives to a single DVD+/-RW drive.

And two deals on a better LCD: $464 2005FPW and $200 1704FP. If you want to go crazy with the monitor (and maybe use it as a TV, tho I don't know how wide its viewing angle is), the 24" 2405FPW is $900.

This is a decent deal.

here

It includes the 20" widescreen 2005FPW. Of course it needs a little upgrading, the hard drive and optical drive namely. Too bad the Pentium Ds are overpriced.

Guden Oden said:
The Dell system comes with dual-channel memory, which means you install the sticks in pairs. No need to match EXACTLY.

And if you go with the 9100 or any other Dell - make sure you pony up the tiny bit of extra cash for the USB multimedia keyboard instead of the regular.

This is because regular lacks a wrist support, and it's not really low-profile either so your hands can get tired from typing lots on it.

I actually prefer the no wrist pad... i was taught to type with my wrists up for faster speed. I use to be able to type 140-145wpm until i got lazy now im down to 90ish.

Also does anyone know if the mobo has 4 memory slots or 2? thanks peeps

No clue, but I think Dell has a pretty good tech support section you might want to browse.

Coola said:
I actually prefer the no wrist pad...
Well, OK then, but get the multimedia keyboard anyway and then detach the wrist support, as you get very convenient mediaplayer buttons that are detected automatically (no driver needed - whee!) AND ARE ILLUMINATED, plus a very handy volume control knob/mute button, browser buttons, email, my computer and calculator buttons etc.

The price difference is so minimal it's not worth going with the regular keyboard IMO, and the multimedia board looks much better too. :)

I know of no full desktop system that only has 2 memory slots, so yes, this Dell box has 4... Maybe some small form factor boxes only have 2, but this isn't the case this time so no worries. :)

Guden Oden said:
Coola said:
I actually prefer the no wrist pad...
Well, OK then, but get the multimedia keyboard anyway and then detach the wrist support, as you get very convenient mediaplayer buttons that are detected automatically (no driver needed - whee!) AND ARE ILLUMINATED, plus a very handy volume control knob/mute button, browser buttons, email, my computer and calculator buttons etc.

The price difference is so minimal it's not worth going with the regular keyboard IMO, and the multimedia board looks much better too. :)

I know of no full desktop system that only has 2 memory slots, so yes, this Dell box has 4... Maybe some small form factor boxes only have 2, but this isn't the case this time so no worries. :)

I want to somehow get my hands on this dell keyboard http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/9/0,1425,sz=1&i=95027,00.jpg yet i don't know how... Even if i go into the gen 5 xps to customize, this keyboard is simply not an option.

as far as the 2 memory slots.. my current dell desktop 2350 only has 2 so that's why i was a bit worried

Back