Worried About My 360

Fox5 said:
Not to mention X360 is supposed to have a rather loud fan....
Fans. There's two of 'em at the back. What I'm sort of wondering though is what kind of fans MS is installing in these units. Since they're exhausts, that means the fan motors sit in the stream of (reportedly very) hot air, meaning the life span of the bearings will be significantly reduced. Since the console is virtually breakin-proof, it's going to be a real fucking bother to be able to replace a fan once warranty runs out. And what happens once the significant air volume that moves through this machine has pulled in enough dust and human debris to clog the innards, particulary the leading edges of the sinks? That would also require disassembly to fix...

First we have the immediate overheat issues. Later there will be the whirring bearing problem, then the seized fan problem, and the clogged heatsink problem as well. I'd expect similar issues with PS3 and Revolution as well, I might add.

The days where consoles functioned pretty much forever without any servicing are thus officially over. :(

The days where consoles functioned pretty much forever without any servicing are thus officially over. :cry:

Err how about the original nintendo and the springs ?

Yea that was a bad idea on thier part

Or the failure rate on the psone , ps2 and xbox cd /dvd drives ?

Microsoft should sell a powerbrick stand as an accessory, I think they could make as much money out of them as any faceplate ;)
Is the xbox360 stable when standing vertically, stable as I mean does it trip over easily.
Is it top-heavy because of the HDD? If it is not standing very stable I would advice keeping it horizontal.

na its solid like a rock. Dude the system is heavy as hell .

The hardrive feels like nothing next to the console. Its like you getting on the back of a horse .

Anyway i duno what the deal is . My system does get hot . However after playing pdz (my self , my sister and my gf ) non stop for a good 9 hour sesion with someone allways playing we had no problems . Guess some people just have bad luck . our power brick did get pissed at us one day when my dog decided to play with the system for a few hours and we had to move the power brick some where with more air flow

jvd said:
na its solid like a rock. Dude the system is heavy as hell .

The hardrive feels like nothing next to the console. Its like you getting on the back of a horse .

Anyway i duno what the deal is . My system does get hot . However after playing pdz (my self , my sister and my gf ) non stop for a good 9 hour sesion with someone allways playing we had no problems . Guess some people just have bad luck . our power brick did get pissed at us one day when my dog decided to play with the system for a few hours and we had to move the power brick some where with more air flow
Just being heavy doesn't quarantee it's stable when erect as it's quite tall too.
My old PS2 is pretty heavy too, but I'd be afraid to use it vertical without the stand, it's not that easy to fall over, but not that stable either.

rabidrabbit said:
Just being heavy doesn't quarantee it's stable when erect as it's quite tall too.
My old PS2 is pretty heavy too, but I'd be afraid to use it vertical without the stand, it's not that easy to fall over, but not that stable either.

PS2 is about half the weight. The slim PS2 would be a quarter. The 360 weighs in at almost 8 pounds.

My sister sent the console in before I woke up (since im a sloth who oversleeps :) )

But they apparently wanted just the console... which is fine as long as everything works properly when I get the thing back.

Guden Oden said:
Fans. There's two of 'em at the back. What I'm sort of wondering though is what kind of fans MS is installing in these units.

The fans in my 360 are Deltas. Looking through the grille, the model number seems to be "AUB0712HH", but I haven't been able to find much about them in Google.

PSXer said:
The fans in my 360 are Deltas. Looking through the grille, the model number seems to be "AUB0712HH", but I haven't been able to find much about them in Google.

Deltas? Wow, aren't those the ones that have a reputation for being really loud? What couldn't MS use some nice Panaflos?

Fox5 said:
Deltas? Wow, aren't those the ones that have a reputation for being really loud? What couldn't MS use some nice Panaflos?

Panaflos are pretty expensive. Deltas aren't bad fans though. Loud yes, but they usually move a lot of air. It would be really interesting to find out if the people who are having heat problems have different fans in their system.

Nite_Hawk

Yep, my sister was suprised too, when she checked the tracking number, the package was 3 pounds heavier. First she thought they may have sent a new prower brick, but it was the Premium system.

Fox5 said:
Deltas? Wow, aren't those the ones that have a reputation for being really loud?
The noise would depend on the model of course... Any fan that spins at many thousands of revs a minute will cause ruckus, it's unavoidable. A panaflo fan with the same diameter and airflow, no matter how well engineered, wouldn't be more than marginally better.

Guden Oden said:
The noise would depend on the model of course... Any fan that spins at many thousands of revs a minute will cause ruckus, it's unavoidable. A panaflo fan with the same diameter and airflow, no matter how well engineered, wouldn't be more than marginally better.

There are really two factors imho that contribute to fan noise. One is the motor noise, which the Panaflo "hydrowave bearings" are claimed to help with. The other is the air turbulence caused, which will depend a lot more on blade design and the rotational speed of the fan. I've actually got a panaflo fan at home which is nice, but like you say for the cfm it's not really that significantly better than other designs unless you drop the rotational speed down to the point where motor noise is a more contributing factor.

I still feel that the best way to remove the most annoying aspects of fan noise is to always use the largest fan possible. You get more airflow at lower rotation speeds, which reduces the high pitch whine you hear with smaller fans that spin faster.

Nite_Hawk

overclocked said:
On the power supply, the lamp that is on it should it have any special colors, i think mine is orange or something.
that is the color on mine an amber color

Back