WorldWind - Very Cool Free 3D Globe From NASA

Is this supposed to cover major areas up to 1m :oops:
I can't connect to the server either, so zooming any closer gives just pixelated mess :(

Is there 1meter detail for europe as well? How about topographical detail, if you were to zoom in on grand canyon, the alps etc.

Edit: Seems like the high detail maps are loading now, does anyone know if they are saved on the harddrive for later use. Also is it possible to get some color on it instead of the b&w.

Leto said:
Edit: Seems like the high detail maps are loading now, does anyone know if they are saved on the harddrive for later use. Also is it possible to get some color on it instead of the b&w.

no high res pics here :(

Leto said:

If you check in the cache directory you will find the textures. It will only keep so many of them around though so if you're looking around at a large area it won't work so well. Though if anyone has found the controls for how large of a cache it keeps I'd love to hear about them, I've got a few GBs free that I could use for this.

And about the color, no one has been able to get hi-res LandSat maps for a while from what I've heard. I hope they're just upgrading some servers or something instead of having just taken away that feature.

overclocked said:
To bad i could never get any photos of where i live cause the server always failed to connect.. :cry:

rabidrabbit said:
I can't connect to the server either, so zooming any closer gives just pixelated mess :(

You guys need to switch to the USGS-1m instead of the LandSat 7 option. It will give you black and white at a pretty nice resolution

overclocked said:
Damn i should looked up Area51 if it had worked.... 8)

;)

And by the way, Groom Lake never loads. At least not on my computer.

Killer-Kris said:
overclocked said:
To bad i could never get any photos of where i live cause the server always failed to connect.. :cry:

rabidrabbit said:

You guys need to switch to the USGS-1m instead of the LandSat 7 option. It will give you black and white at a pretty nice resolution
The USGS-1m doesn't show locations outside US, does it? Would the other options show for example parts of Europe and Scandinavia?

The server containing the landsat data (required to see the whole world) went down after being slashdotted..
The guy managing that server says he hopes to have it up within a couple of weeks..

Kjetil

Here's Los Angeles using landsat data I got from one of the above cache files:

Los_Angeles.jpg

I notice that in this pic of the capitol, the capitol itself is blurred out more then the surrounding buildings. I wouldn't be surprised if military installations, especially secret ones, aren't shown at all.

In "\World Wind v1.2\Configuration\WorldWindParameters.xml" you can configure the cache (maybe you'll need version 1.2c).

Back