Worldwide Wii Day (Sep 14/15): the official thread *Released Nov 19 for $250 (US)*

Thread pruned

Let's try to keep the discussion as civil as possible, folks, thanks. ;)

A bit more expensive than I was hoping. I thought around GBP 150 would be nearer the mark. Anyway, I think I'll probably hold off buying until Super Mario Galaxy is released. What's the chances that we'll see this released around March 2007 in tandem with a small price cut? :smile:

$249.99 plus VAT is £156.50, so I'd say £164.99 is the best we could have expected.

Why on earth should Wii games cost less then last generation games?

Because the tools needed to develop the games and master them onto DVD are cheaper than they were 5 years ago. As well they have a huge back catalog of tools, textures, models, a lot of which can be reused for Wii games. It is the same reason why a PS2 game released today should be less than $50. Of course since they are aiming to squeeze profits this will not happen.

Not to mention they are targeting a different audience this time and many of the games seem like 'lite' games, to only be $10 cheaper than full next gen PS3 and 360 games seems kinda strange.

I think there are some more dynamics to consider when they price the Wii games.

* To account for an expected (not small) increase in marketing expense for Wii. I believe Ninty will need to do more aggressive campaigns around the world this time just because at this early phase people need to be iinspired, or even experience Wii first hand.

* Also with a potentially smaller software volume to boot (because it's a new, risky thing), they may charge more per game to earn enough cashflow (to fund further activities).

* Since Xbox 360 and PS3 has moved to USD60 per game, they will adjust accordingly upwards. If it doesn't work at USD50, they can lower it later. Raising it later would be impossible.

. previous code can be run, even same tools can be used.
That's been true for this entire console generation, and games have cost EUR 50. What do you think Renderware was?
I have also read in numerous occasions that the cost of creating games for Wii is one third to one quarter when comparing to hidef consoles.
In other words, you've read that Wii games will cost about the same or slightly more than current-gen console games to make, almost all of which retailed at EUR 50, which seemed to be the price necessary for profitability. And even then, a lot of game publishers went under. Since the cost of production isn't going down, it doesn't make sense to cut price. "Some guy on a forum thinks this isn't fair" is a pretty bad economical justification. It's not like Final Fantasy XII is going to sell for EUR 30, or Madden 2007 on the PS2 retailed over here for $35. Current-gen price for a new game is $50/EUR 50. It's not going down just because Lair has much better graphics than Ninja Gaiden Black.
all games published by m$ will be $50
MS doesn't pay licensing fees to itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of completeness.

The Aussie launch details....

As part of a global launch period, Wii will arrive in Australia on December 7th. Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an SRP of just $399.95. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk™ controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc, which anyone can play using simple movements, experienced or not.

and now for the canadian launch price ; )

279.95 CAD*.

absolutely not bad, given that sony launched the psp here for 300 CAD, based on a US price of 250.

* source: Nintendo unvails Wii, Toronto Metro, Sep 15-17, 2006

and now for the canadian launch price ; )

279.95 CAD*.

absolutely not bad, given that sony launched the psp here for 300 CAD, based on a US price of 250.

* source: Nintendo unvails Wii, Toronto Metro, Sep 15-17, 2006

That's an exact exchange ,much better than how MS gouges us for the 360 over the exchange.

Some new screens (8 each):

Mario Strikers Charged

Metroid Prime3: Corruption

Excite Trucks

Battalion Wars II

Some Zelda impressions:

When I left E3, Metroid Prime 3 was my favorite Wii title. When I left the press event it became a distant second. I'm sure everyone has read several very pointed opinions about the Twilight Princess situation. Here is another one for you. You might as well forget that the GameCube version even exists.
http://planetgamecube.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=12081

Is the Wii region locked?

There're conflicting stories on this. Wired News was the first to report that the Wii is indeed region-free.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24981977
However, today among the heavy stream of Wii news, Wired News said Nintendo of America VP of marketing and corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan had finally confirmed that the console will indeed be region-free--in theory.

"Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted."

Nintendo still has yet to make a wide, media-friendly announcement on the subject. Hyping a feature such as region-free gaming would seem to be a no-brainer, so the company's coy stance raised concerns. Even the article's author seemed a bit skeptical with a careful choice of words: "Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted."

The official story: Getting answers from Nintendo proved difficult during one of the company's busiest days of the year. However, after a lengthy exchange of cryptic e-mails, a rep finally confirmed that Kaplan's words regarding regionless first-party titles and potentially regionless third-party titles were indeed correct: "[The] Wii will be region-free."

IGN ran also the same story. Now there's a new article

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732982p1.html

Wii games will not be region-free according to Nintendo UK's General Manager David Yarnton. Speaking exclusively with IGN at Nintendo's European Wii press event in London, Yarnton confirmed that Wii games and online content will be region-encoded, meaning European gamers won't be able to play titles from the US and Japan and vice-versa.

So far, we can only conclude that there's the possibility of a region-lock. But it's not sure if it will be used or not. I am sure we're going to hear more pretty soon, though.

Launching in Australia before Europe...harhar...The brits getting extra shafted at 179...harhar...

Wow, one entire day early, this is indeed a proud day for Australia! :LOL: Seriously I suppose its just easier to distribute the few thousand English only consoles that Australia needs for its launch. Europe is a vast undertaking in comparison.

By the way how does sales tax work in Europe and Australia?

By the way how does sales tax work in Europe and Australia?

I guess you mean continental Europe, last time I checked the UK was still in Europe, despite Tony Blair's valiant efforts to relocate to Northern America.
It's different from country to country and from product to product. Consumer items are usually 20% VAT in Austria. Germany is currently increasing the tax, from 15 to 18%, I think starting with 2007.

I guess you mean continental Europe, last time I checked the UK was still in Europe, despite Tony Blair's valiant efforts to relocate to Northern America.
It's different from country to country and from product to product. Consumer items are usually 20% VAT in Austria. Germany is currently increasing the tax, from 15 to 18%, I think starting with 2007.

Well of course I realise we're still considered to be European (even though we're pretty much seperate in every way). I was referring to continental Europe and even more specifically to countries supporting the single European currency. I wasn't sure if perhaps the single currency had also brought a single sales tax.

To my next question, does the Euro price for Wii include tax or is tax paid later like US sales tax? Same question for Australia.

Back