Workstation or Consumer Video card?

wafer

Newcomer
The question is Nvidia Quadro or Nvidia Geforce ?
Ati Radeon or Ati FireGL ?
For profesional use like 3D Studio Max modelling and rendering, does the extra money worth it? The specs of both card categories are almost alike but the price is double, triple etc. What do you suggest? Does anyone use consumer cards (Radeon or GeForce) with 3D Studio MAX? If so, I would like to know performance issues, comments, known problems etc.

Thanks

I guess that depends on what level you are on with modeling..
most reviews seem to have a "gaming version" slapped in for comparison so you can spot the real difference there..
how much that difference is worth to YOU is.. well up to you..

If you feel you will make up the cost of the card fast from profit on your work with it, go for one..
if you dont deal in very highres work and feel your hampered at this time by your card, you might not want to spend alot of cash on one..

It largely comes down to the drivers. They generally have special "modes" to work with each of the popular apps.

If you're doing this for a living I'd seriously consider the proffesional cards, if it's just a hobby or it's not the thing you do most of the day, then the non proffesional versions will probably work.

Back