Windows won't install on SATA drive

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I have two drives, one ide and the other sata.

I boot the windows xp sp1 cd-rom and press f6 to load the sata drivers. The sata hd is recognized.

However, it'll insist installing on the ide HD, which has my current system.

How do I change this?

if you have SATA that isnt on a raid controler try moving your HD to it.
i had the same problem and thats what solved it, dont know why... :?

DOGMA1138 said:
if you have SATA that isnt on a raid controler try moving your HD to it.
i had the same problem and thats what solved it, dont know why... :?

How do I move an IDE hd to a RAID controller?

mito said:
I have two drives, one ide and the other sata.

I boot the windows xp sp1 cd-rom and press f6 to load the sata drivers. The sata hd is recognized.

However, it'll insist installing on the ide HD, which has my current system.

How do I change this?

What kind of motherboard you have ? Asus ?

Even in 2005, Microsoft XP doesn't have native support for S-ATA, not in SP1, not in SP2 even. What you need is a floppy to load the drivers from, when XP boots from CD (= install). Via offers such a floppy image with their driver package for the VT8237 etc (check their website).

Once you press F6, Windows XP install is supposed to look for the drivers on this floppy.

Yes, floppy, amazing in these times of flash sticks etc. you still need an old fashioned floppy disk.

This is very strange, because the reason SATA is called SATA is because it's SERIAL ata; ie, no difference on a protocol level. Only the hardware is supposed to have changed, so that OSes wouldn't need special drivers and shit like that. I wonder how they managed this cockup with that in mind.

Guden Oden said:
This is very strange, because the reason SATA is called SATA is because it's SERIAL ata; ie, no difference on a protocol level. Only the hardware is supposed to have changed, so that OSes wouldn't need special drivers and shit like that. I wonder how they managed this cockup with that in mind.

Correct.

When you read the SATA spec you get the impression it's just the physical layer they changed, from the OS or host side it should make no difference how you talk to the drive itself.

But... when you read all those postings on e.g. www.viaarena.com, it is a pain to get it to work, that is installing the OS on a SATA drive. When you use a SATA drive as your sec. part/drive ít's a no-brainer.

It's down to the chipset and controller.

Nforce 3 and 4 chipsets and most intel chipsets treat SATA as IDE so windows will install without any drivers loaded in text setup.

Its important to have a BIOS that supports SATA properly.
Many nforce3 & similar mobos seem to come with pre SATA BIOSes

The thing is, I had to disconnect the ide hd so that win xp will install itself in the sata drive.

Everything is fine, drivers, etc. So I installed win xp and reconnected the ide hd right after.

Back