Windows Server 2003 SP2

Mummy

Regular
Hello all,

the SP2 for W2003 server is out, but like always im waiting the first hardcore admins to betatest it for me (and M$), since i've been bited by upgrades and service packs (the best shitpiece to date, from my experience, was W2000 "SP5" (the rollup after sp4) ) in the past, question is, have you sysadmins installed it ? have u experienced black holes (or i should say, blue holes) in the system and more fancy and creative errors? :)

Hello all,

the SP2 for W2003 server is out, but like always im waiting the first hardcore admins to betatest it for me (and M$), since i've been bited by upgrades and service packs (the best shitpiece to date, from my experience, was W2000 "SP5" (the rollup after sp4) ) in the past, question is, have you sysadmins installed it ? have u experienced black holes (or i should say, blue holes) in the system and more fancy and creative errors? :)

Not many problems here in our facility; we've got a few DR-test lab servers that we use for such things. Our testing cluster servers had some sort of issue with failover, but it turned out to be a driver problem that HP is fixing. I think there was also a small config change we had to do with our fiberchannel cards that connect to our SAN, but it was a "known issue" even before the service pack went on.

I don't think we've ever really had a "bad" service pack experience on the servers. All of our equipment is standardized and no more than three years old at any given time, so we don't have to worry about getting caught up with incompatible hardware, old drivers that don't exist anymore, etc.

We're not in a huge hurry to roll out SP2 obviously since it just came out, but I'd wager 90% of our datacenter will be moved to it by the end of this year.

I run a pretty simple shop and all of my Win2003 servers have had SP2 on for awhile with no known bad side effects.

Ditto here. We have two windows 2003 clusters and other application servers, all with sp2 and no issues. Note - No 2003 terminal servers here tho. Seems like a new sp always has some terminal services issues. If you use it then research before hand.

Ditto here. We have two windows 2003 clusters and other application servers, all with sp2 and no issues. Note - No 2003 terminal servers here tho. Seems like a new sp always has some terminal services issues. If you use it then research before hand.

We use a lot of TS for administration (unless the server is having problems, then we connect via an HP ILO card). So far, no issues there either.

Back