will Doom III run at 60FPS on any current or upcoming card?

Althornin,

I have the Final Fantasy DVD and I can play it on my PC.
My face is ~50 cm from the monitor and this is better then Quake at 1024x768. I mean I cant see any pixel artifacts.

Also I have seen the E3 leak and at 4xAAx800x600 in my Trinitron monitor and it is incredible ;)
It is all about better pixels.

pascal said:
Althornin,

I have the Final Fantasy DVD and I can play it on my PC.
My face is ~50 cm from the monitor and this is better then Quake at 1024x768. I mean I cant see any pixel artifacts.

Also I have seen the E3 leak and at 4xAAx800x600 in my Trinitron monitor and it is incredible ;)
It is all about better pixels.
GAH!
QUIT COMPARING DIFFERENT SOURCE MATERIALS.

Yikes, and you said DemoCoder was getting defensive? Calm down.

I think you're confusing 'realism' with picture quality/clarity. If you wear glasses, does the world look any more 'real' with your glasses on than it does without your glasses? Watching interviews of NBA players after a game, compressed in Real Video to 320x240, horribly pixelated, still looks 'real.' Clear? Nope, but real, yes.

Nitpick: Corrective lenses show the world more accurately. You may call that view more "real" or clear as well, IMO. Obviously the world does not get more or less real depending on whether you're looking at it, but your interpretation of its reality may hinge on how clear a picture of it you have.

What's my point, you ask? I'm not even sure I had one to begin with. :)

Re: will Doom III run at 60FPS on any current or upcoming ca

To get back to the original question:

megadrive0088 said:
- all I want to know is, will I be able to run Doom III in high quality mode at say 800x600 at 60FPS? on present generation PCs equiped with say NV35 or ATI's next card

Someone said "yes", presumably based on the benchmarks that we've seen on NV3x and Radeon 3xx, but I would have to clarify that and say, "we actually don't know."

The problem is, we don't know what the Doom benchmark represents. The easiest analogy to make is to Unreal Tournament 2003. If all we ever had for UT demos were were given a "fly-by" demos, we would be lead to believe that our frame rates would be higher than they actually are during normal gameplay. A much different picture is given with the bot-match demos.

At this point, I would say that NV35 and ATI's R350 can indeed do 60 FPS at 800x600...given a fast enough CPU. However, it's also possible that CPU limitations will cause actual gameplay to be lower than that.

Ok lets forget resolution, I am sorry I mentioned it. just use 640x480 res (no lower though) resolution doesnt matter one bit. i should have said that. resolution doesnt matter as far as something looking like CGI or not. as you guys have been saying, CGI looks great even on a crappy television running on even lower resolution VHS!.

You can watch ANY CGI on VHS and it looks a trillion times better than Quake 3 @ 1600x1200 because its all about the CONTENT of the graphics (polygon count/models, environment, lighting, AA, filters, effects, etc etc) - Quake 3 will NEVER look like CGI even at 20,000x 20,000 res running at 1000 FPS because the graphics themselves still suck. now even though resolution is not important, framerate is somewhat important. you cant have 15FPS and look like CGI you need 24-60fps plus motion blur at lower framerates. now with computer games, videogames and arcade games, it preferable to have 60FPS because we dont have all that motion blurr of films.

Now back to DOOM III - if NV35 and hopefully the next revision of R350 and/or R390 can do DOOM III at 60fps, in HQ mode with 4xFSAA even at 640x480, I will be very pleased. I guess I will need to get a new PC though. My Dell 1.8 Ghz 512 DDR isnt going to cut it, even with the latest video card (my AGP 4x and 400Mhz FSB will be a bottleneck) - I need a new PC anyway.

to the original question: yes, my WildcatVP 990 Pro will be able to :D

and
If you wear glasses, does the world look any more 'real' with your glasses on than it does without your glasses?
actually, the opposite. the world looses a major "touchable" factor with my glasses on.

Back