Wibble-dom confiscates yoghurt - horror!

RussSchultz said:
Make a completely separate topic in the appropriate forum, and try to be specific about what you want to discuss.

I read your post and my eyes glaze over, seeing yet another generalizing anti-us, anti-"capitalism" rant from DiGuru without any specific point.
I did. Go ahead. ;)

RussSchultz said:
Actually, that's exactly their business.
No it isn't!

In the US, we have laws against that sort of thing.
Why? There's hardly any difference. If people can be turned away for one arbitrary reason, then why not another. We know that many club/restaurant owners reason that too many colored people in their establishment is bad for business, for example. If you can make more money somehow, surely that must be allowed, that's the way you americans typically reason.

Your ticket is subsidized by concession sales.
No it isn't! I never buy any fucking concessions, and neither do most people. You might as well argue that golf clubs in a sports goods store are subsidized by sneaker sales, or gas is, by motor oil sales at a gas station.

Movie theaters don't make much money at all
Well boo hoo. Yes I'm sure their profits at $9+ a seat per two-hour showing plus fifteen to twenty minute commercial intro must be terrible. Better call the waahmbulance while you're at it. That, or theatres and hollywood need themselves a newer, better business model: they've been using the current one for what, 70 years or something by now.

If you don't like it, stay at home and rent the DVD.
I bought the ticket, which means I have a right to use it. Even if I have a pepsi at a coke-sponsored event or a bag of jelly beans I didn't buy in the lobby in my hands.

I can agree with not allowing any food or drink within the event. If Coke is the sponsor of the event and someone brings a coke they bought at a local store, they should not be allowed to carry that in. If they are able to, then I should be able to buy a Pepsi and bring that in with me because it is the brand I prefer. Either go all the way, or none of it.

What's next....coke sponsoring a big sporting event, like a tennis match or soccer, or anything....and then the athlete is sponsored by Pepsi..."We're sorry, you are not allowed to compete in the event."??

That's a bit sensationalistic, but an example.

Guden Oden said:
No it isn't!
Yes, it is. Sorry you don't understand the economics behind movie theaters, dance clubs, sporting events, etc.

Why? There's hardly any difference. If people can be turned away for one arbitrary reason, then why not another. We know that many club/restaurant owners reason that too many colored people in their establishment is bad for business, for example. If you can make more money somehow, surely that must be allowed, that's the way you americans typically reason.
Because.

No it isn't! I never buy any fucking concessions, and neither do most people.
You may not buy the concessions, but others do. Don't project your feelings on them.
You might as well argue that golf clubs in a sports goods store are subsidized by sneaker sales, or gas is, by motor oil sales at a gas station.
No, nothing alike.

Well boo hoo. Yes I'm sure their profits at $9+ a seat per two-hour showing plus fifteen to twenty minute commercial intro must be terrible.
Actually, they are terrible. Thats why they have the concessions.

Better call the waahmbulance while you're at it. That, or theatres and hollywood need themselves a newer, better business model: they've been using the current one for what, 70 years or something by now.
Maybe you ought to quit whining about things that you dislike because you dislike them?

I bought the ticket, which means I have a right to use it. Even if I have a pepsi at a coke-sponsored event or a bag of jelly beans I didn't buy in the lobby in my hands.
No, you bought the ticket under the license that it was provided unto you. If they dictate you can't bring your own stuff in, then you can't. You have no "rights" except those afforded you by the ticket seller. If they say you can't bring anything in, then you have the option to not buy the ticket. Just because you dislike it doesn't mean they're infringing upon your rights.

But, if you think that everybody is so incensed about this topic, go open a theater of your own that lets people bring their own stuff in. It'll most certianly be a hit, and you'll make a ton of money and SHOW those money grubbing greedy bastards exactly how a just venue operates.

There's nothing like a good "Yes it is," "No it isn't" argument ;)

punch.dovertrio.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
RussSchultz said:
No, you bought the ticket under the license that it was provided unto you. If they dictate you can't bring your own stuff in, then you can't. You have no "rights" except those afforded you by the ticket seller. If they say you can't bring anything in, then you have the option to not buy the ticket. Just because you dislike it doesn't mean they're infringing upon your rights.
Ah, and what if they don't put on the ticket that you cannot (as that would be illegal), but still throw you out if you do something they don't like? Would that be like throwing black people out who sit down, have ordered a drink and paid for it, because the owner thinks it would be bad for business having them inside?

You have to draw a line somewhere, put it in law and stick to it, IMO. And that goes for everyone.

DiGuru said:
Ah, and what if they don't put on the ticket that you cannot (as that would be illegal), but still throw you out if you do something they don't like?
Do you ever read the fine print of the tickets you purchase? They all state that you can be refused service for any reason.

Would that be like throwing black people out who sit down, have ordered a drink and paid for it, because the owner thinks it would be bad for business having them inside?

You have to draw a line somewhere, put it in law and stick to it, IMO. And that goes for everyone.
Wow. And funny, there are laws about discrimination. But that isn't what the discussion (currently) is about. The discussion is about somebody demanding their god given right to bring in their own food to a private establishment.

Wow. And funny, there are laws about discrimination. But that isn't what the discussion (currently) is about. The discussion is about somebody demanding their god given right to bring in their own food to a private establishment.

But she has low-blood sugar levels.. where is the humanity?!

Tahir2 said:
But she has low-blood sugar levels.. where is the humanity?!
That's shitty publicity for the venue, now isn't it? Perhaps next time they'll listen to somebody who claims to be diabetic, or provide them with a substitute product.

RussSchultz said:
Do you ever read the fine print of the tickets you purchase? They all state that you can be refused service for any reason.
Do you ever read the software EULAs? Not that they hold up in court anyway, but you have to put it there to be able to make a case in the first place. And that goes for most things. If you would only do the things you're allowed that way, you would buy very little, have a lawyer follow you all the time, or do nothing much whatever.

The law is stacked. Fortunately, most judges are human as well as you are, and take their pick of what rules affect you.

RussSchultz said:
The discussion is about somebody demanding their god given right to bring in their own food to a private establishment.
I think it's perfectly clear how I think about that, don't you?

DiGuru said:
knows about.
It seems the US has already done to the EU what even Italy didn't manage: make it into one, corrupt puppet theater. Chapeau!

Not 100% sure, but I'm fairly confident that these policies are not legal in Italy, for once. Afaik, you can't forbid anyone to bring his own food&drink to a public event, even if it takes place in a private property, and an event like Wimbledon is considered to be "public" in Italy.

It's interesting, the divide between people who think it's within an establishments rights to ban a customer from consuming food and drink not bought on site and those that think they can mind their own business are from different continents. I have to agree with Diguru and Guden, i dislike the idea of having to buy food (overpriced food at that - how much for a bag of skittles?!) at the cinema, and i really dislike the idea of that spreading into other industries. I also happen to live in Europe like Diguru and Guden.

Maybe it's been happening so long over in the US, people see it as acceptable. It's the same for commercials on TV, by all accounts, you guys get a LOT more than we do, and i already think we get plenty.

If you buy a ticket to wimbledon, you are buying a ticket, it may well be written somewhere 'thou shalt not eat something we didn't sell you on site' but that doesn't make it right. They are effectively taking your right to shop where you like away from you.

I wonder, if you made some sandwiches to take to wimbledon for lunch, which are effectively brandless, would the rules still apply?

It's a grey area as I see it.

How would you expect a restuarant proprieter to respond if, having gone to a restaurant, sat down and ordered a small starter, you pulled out your own picnic and started to chomp your way through it? OK, so restaurants exist to serve food, but what about drink? OK to bring your own wine? Where should the line be drawn?

TBH I don't see it's a big problem venues prohibiting people from bringing their own food/drink per se, so long as they're up front about it (yes, those T's & C's on the ticket do mean something, and no they're not like software EULAs IMO). If the customer is forewarned they have the choice not to buy the ticket -- it's not like watching tennis is some sort of fundamental human right.

What's more troubling in my mind is excluding people or confiscating products from manufacturers who compete with their sponsors. That to me seems like small-mindedness. Though again, if the advert for the event made it clear in big letters that Coke don't want allow me to drink Pepsi at the event then maybe that's OK too. Would they do this? Somehow I doubt it.

In the US (or at least the cities I've lived in), some restaurants actually do allow you to bring your own alchohol to the restaurant because the local ordinances make it difficult (or expensive) to obtain a liquor sales license. Not a lot of them, but its not unheard of.

nutball said:
It's a grey area as I see it.

How would you expect a restuarant proprieter to respond if, having gone to a restaurant, sat down and ordered a small starter, you pulled out your own picnic and started to chomp your way through it? OK, so restaurants exist to serve food, but what about drink? OK to bring your own wine? Where should the line be drawn?

As long as you do order something in the restaurant, you're fine (at least in Italy). I happened to do so a couple of times due to my health condition that allows me to eat but few things (which usually you can't find in a restaurant).

RussSchultz said:
In the US (or at least the cities I've lived in), some restaurants actually do allow you to bring your own alchohol to the restaurant because the local ordinances make it difficult (or expensive) to obtain a liquor sales license. Not a lot of them, but its not unheard of.
Yeah there are bring-your-own-booze restaurants here too (eg. run by Muslims), but broadly speaking it's not done.

Just advocating for the devil here ...

someoneelse said:
1) You cannot take and consume your own food and drink.
2) You are required to buy food or drink when you get a place.

RussSchultz said:
Yes, that seems somewhat reasonable.
If you have certain food allergies one would assume you'd have to bring your own food.
Who's forcing you to buy any food or drink?
Apart from the fact that you may be at the event for many hours and the noise of your stomach growling might put off the players more than a Sharapova grunt , I would think that a diabetic would have to consume some amount of food.

IMHO this is an etiquete fault from the sponsors/administration.

By the way, before anyone try to ban me, right now I am consuming an Beyonghurt3D TM.

PS: What sports Victoria´s secret sponsors?

Back