Wibble-dom confiscates yoghurt - horror!

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
But it seems even the venerable All England Tennis Club has cravenly submitted to the real rulers of international sport - the sponsors. Wimbledon has banned spectators from bringing into the ground food or drink not manufactured by the firms which pay tens of millions of pounds to sponsor the tournament.
Even items as innocuous as a small pot of yoghurt or a milkshake are banned under the draconian regulation.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=394387&in_page_id=1770

Welcome to the new world. You will do as you are told. Submit and obey to the will of the multinational corporate dragon.

Don't forget to buy an official t-shirt on the way out!

EDIT: this might be better in the RPSC forum.

The world sucks.
Damn greedy SOB's.

Try buying something from the university caffeteria. $5 for a bread roll. WTF??
It's cheaper to go out to external stores than what they sell at the uni because the uni cafeteria(privately owned company runs it) people are opportunistic a-holes.

This happened at the last olympic too, and possibly several before that one.

Policies like this one suck and ought to be made illegal. It's capitalism gone overboard, and is bad for everyone (except maybe the companies who ordered the restrictions, though I'm not really sure it's an effective tool to generate more sales, as people tend to get pissed off by stuff like this).

However, there's a very effective counter-measure: don't buy tickets to events that implement these kind of policies.

Almost all movie theaters have policies like this. Why? Because they make their money on the concessions, not the tickets.

Is it really that outrageous that a venue doesn't allow you to bring outside food and drinks in?

RussSchultz said:
Almost all movie theaters have policies like this. Why? Because they make their money on the concessions, not the tickets.

Is it really that outrageous that a venue doesn't allow you to bring outside food and drinks in?

The wording from the quote would suggest that you are allowed to bring in food and drinks as long as they are from the sponsors of the event. So if Coke is one of the sponsors and you bring a Pepsi you're out of luck, but you bring a Coke then you're okay.

There are some loose parallels but we are talking about sponsorship here - not making money by selling at the movie theatre or tennis court but the fear of free advertising for a competitor because a consumer prefers to eat brand x. I bet she would not have had problems if she was carrying mueller products.

Yes it is, particularly when some people have medical conditions like low blood sugar levels and then food is confiscated. I bet this spectator paid a lot of money for her ticket too.

Like Guden said - best thing the consumer can do is to not buy a ticket.

Capitalism and corruption.

Capitalism will, over time, gravitate into monopoly positions and break the fair market mechanism. Especially when large corporations are allowed to spend as much money on influencing politics as they like.

I had to laugh today: I heard on the Belgian radio, that they had come up with an experiment: they had created a political region, in which things should be fair. So, instead giving the top three performing politicians ten times the funds as all the others and allowing them to use "outside" funding, they're only allowed to spend three times as much, and all outside funds are "limited". And the amount of airtime they can directly buy was limited, the size of billboards and most other things was limited to the same sizes as the other candidates.

WTF!!!?!!?>>>

I mean, before we had the EU, or rather, before the US companies started to expend huge amounts of money into "controlling" politics in the EU, things were like around here in Belgium: Everyone got the same amount and rules, no matter what. Although many bad rules have slipped unnoticed into our laws since then, like it being a criminal offence to circumvent copy protection. Which almost nobody knows about.

It seems the US has already done to the EU what even Italy didn't manage: make it into one, corrupt puppet theater. Chapeau!

Don't mind my feelings about all that.

Edit: Yes, Epic, it seems your US have taken over the upper segment. They are the very best and most powerful and whatever after all. Rejoice.

For everyone else: I'm happy that the people and national governments don't take it as easy as all that. But I hope we can solve the matter before tempers rise high.

For Epic: yes, when tempers rise that high, the US can level us dow to the bedrock many times over, so they have nothing to fear and can push things beyond all barriers of known corruption and common sense. I just hope they won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, of course. The US and "capitalism" are the root of all evil in the world.

Please, try to keep the discussion to the topic at hand, and don't use it as a springboard to repeat your sermons.

RussSchultz said:
Yes, of course. The US and "capitalism" are the root of all evil in the world.

Please, try to keep the discussion to the topic at hand, and don't use it as a springboard to repeat your sermons.
Ok. If you promise to do the same. Agreed?

DiGuru said:
Edit: Yes, Epic, it seems your US have taken over the upper segment. They are the very best and most powerful and whatever after all. Rejoice.

For everyone else: I'm happy that the people and national governments don't take it as easy as all that. But I hope we can solve the matter before tempers rise high.

For Epic: yes, when tempers rise that high, the US can level us dow to the bedrock many times over, so they have nothing to fear and can push things beyond all barriers of known corruption and common sense. I just hope they won't.
:?: Whats with the call outs?

Russ, can you tell me where I go wrong in my reasoning? I've been thinking about it a bit, Googled, but I'm afraid I have to stand by my post. Can you help me and tell us that it was the EU by itself and that the US had nothing to do with it?

Thanks in advance.

RussSchultz said:
Yes. It's an incursion into my personal freedom. I pay for entrance into the venue, wether I choose to buy food/drink/candy or whatever in there or somewhere else is nobody's god damn business.

If you say that well, it's perfectly within a business owner's right to set the rules within his place of business, then what's to stop him from more serious demands, such as turning certain people from say, certain minorities away.

It's not particulary offensive to demand you trash all outside food and buy new at say a sports arena or a theater. But it IS still offensive. I bought a ticket and gave money to the owner, I should be allowed to enjoy it even if I have food from somewhere else in my hands without having to put even more money into his hands.

Guden Oden said:
Yes. It's an incursion into my personal freedom. I pay for entrance into the venue, wether I choose to buy food/drink/candy or whatever in there or somewhere else is nobody's god damn business.

If you say that well, it's perfectly within a business owner's right to set the rules within his place of business, then what's to stop him from more serious demands, such as turning certain people from say, certain minorities away.

It's not particulary offensive to demand you trash all outside food and buy new at say a sports arena or a theater. But it IS still offensive. I bought a ticket and gave money to the owner, I should be allowed to enjoy it even if I have food from somewhere else in my hands without having to put even more money into his hands.
Exactly. What rules apply?

1) You cannot take and consume your own food and drink.

2) You are required to buy food or drink when you get a place.

3) We only sell food and drink from predescribed manufacturers (sponsorers).

4) You can take your own food and drink, but only from those manufacturers we allow. And we won't tell you in advance, although we will punish you all the same when you got it wrong.

Like:

5) You can choose and wear the clothes you like, as long as they look and say however we want them to, and we will punish you when you get it wrong, even if we didn't say up front.

And no, that last is from a European football match.

DiGuru said:
Russ, can you tell me where I go wrong in my reasoning? I've been thinking about it a bit, Googled, but I'm afraid I have to stand by my post. Can you help me and tell us that it was the EU by itself and that the US had nothing to do with it?

Thanks in advance.
Make a completely separate topic in the appropriate forum, and try to be specific about what you want to discuss.

I read your post and my eyes glaze over, seeing yet another generalizing anti-us, anti-"capitalism" rant from DiGuru without any specific point.

Guden Oden said:
Actually, that's exactly their business.

In the US, we have laws against that sort of thing.

Your ticket is subsidized by concession sales. Movie theaters don't make much money at all, for example, from ticket sales. They make it all from selling you snacks. If you don't like it, stay at home and rent the DVD.

DiGuru said:
Exactly. What rules apply?

1) You cannot take and consume your own food and drink.
Yes, that seems somewhat reasonable.
2) You are required to buy food or drink when you get a place.
Who's forcing you to buy any food or drink?

3) We only sell food and drink from predescribed manufacturers (sponsorers).
Again, reasonable.

4) You can take your own food and drink, but only from those manufacturers we allow. And we won't tell you in advance, although we will punish you all the same when you got it wrong.
I've never seen that in the US.

Like:

5) You can choose and wear the clothes you like, as long as they look and say however we want them to, and we will punish you when you get it wrong, even if we didn't say up front.

And no, that last is from a European football match.
Or that.

I think its prefectly reasonble to ban all food/drink from entering an event of any type, I do not however think its reasonble to only disallow certain brands.

Back