Why Samsung don't go full Exynos?

Despite the 810's heat issues under certain testing conditions, I'd happily buy a Nexus 6P and give the 810 credit where it deserves it (e.g. its GPU performance relative to its generation).
While I try to stay politically correct in reviews for devices as a whole, I think the 810 and 808 deserve zero credit and were by far the worst SoCs that the mobile space has seen to date. I'd go as far to say vendors should have eaten their pride stuck with the 805.

80546.png

That's where I differ; much respect to you for your awesome deep dives which I enthusiastically devour, however I still think they're B- parts when everything's considered and not the Fs you make them out to be.

Edit: I'll point you to your conclusions from your very good Mate 8 review:

http://anandtech.com/show/9878/the-huawei-mate-8-review/5

The results for the Mi Note Pro look pretty great to me from both an efficiency and experience perspective. I'm more interested in approaching or clearing a 30 fps target when playing a game than sipping energy. I also think that the Nexus 6P would last a day w/ my ordinary patterns of use so it clears that hurdle as well.

That said, I would be concerned w/ a rogue app pinning the A57 cores in the 810 at full frequency and roasting my testicles. So it's a B- :)

Looking forward to the 820 deep dive btw.

Last edited:
I don't quite agree with the S808 being that bad. Its performance is exactly the same as the S810 (both cpu and gpu) even for just "minimally sustained" loads (in smartphones), so yes the latter is quite terrible and pointless (albeit it has other advantages over the S808, ISP and modem especially). GPU throttling isn't that bad (even throttled it generally still beats the Adreno 330 from the S801 with similar power consumption). The cpu part clearly isn't the best (especially as far as efficiency goes) but for a B part seemed tolerable enough.

I don't quite agree with the S808 being that bad. Its performance is exactly the same as the S810 (both cpu and gpu) even for just "minimally sustained" loads (in smartphones), so yes the latter is quite terrible and pointless (albeit it has other advantages over the S808, ISP and modem especially). GPU throttling isn't that bad (even throttled it generally still beats the Adreno 330 from the S801 with similar power consumption). The cpu part clearly isn't the best (especially as far as efficiency goes) but for a B part seemed tolerable enough.
Is it really a B part when it was used in flagships? Also it's less efficient than 810.

Is it really a B part when it was used in flagships?
Of course it didn't quite do that well in flagships - but it was not really meant to (as that role should have gone to the S810).
Also it's less efficient than 810.
I'd guess that was luck of the draw. And even with the numbers from anandtech, that wasn't really the case (more efficient A53 cluster, less efficient A57 cluster, and overall the differences were minimal - http://www.anandtech.com/show/9878/the-huawei-mate-8-review/3). And that's what I got from other reviews as well.

I'd go as far to say vendors should have eaten their pride stuck with the 805.

Did Qualcomm have the 805 available for new devices during 2015 though?
Maybe it was quite a bit more expensive to implement than even Snapdragon 810 because of its 64bit memory channels, 28nm and the need for an external cellular chip.
Together with the more powerful DSP and ISP blocks, it doesn't look like a vendor's decision to go with the 810 would be based on "pride" alone (or useless Antutu points).

Some Exynos 8890 numbers for you guys:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1147-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/page5.html

Looks like slightly better CPU performance but worse GPU performance as expected, although it's not 100% clear how things look apples to apples as Basemark w/ the Exynos S7 looks worse than the S6...

Edit: Ars also published numbers:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-review-the-galaxy-s6-2-0/

The AnTuTu Exynos GPU performance deficiencies don't translate to GFX Bench, and the Exynos delivers an impressive showing over the Snapdragon on the WebGL efficiency test.

Last edited:
Back